From sofa to bucksaw

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
That saw of yours is even prettier now than in your first pics. I was all motivated to get started and now I'm all depressed thinking mine will look like a real P.O.S. compared to yours. . . . (followed by unintelligible babbling)

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Very nice work.
And those spoons are incredible.
I have been chopping up an old beech chopping board this week, It was warping and cracking. Like yourself using nothing but hand tools I would carry in the bush, coffee tanned and oil baked, burnished. Even without sandpaper it ended up clean enough and smooth enough for practical use...
I have been wondering what to do with the rest of it, a spoon was certainly in there, as were maybe a spatula or something...

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Thank you 8thsinner for your comments I still have some timber sitting in the shed I'll have to get round to making something else.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Thats very Nice!

I've actually started making myself one, should only cost about £20 to make including canvas bag so they are pretty cheap to make.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
very nice - i particularly like the way the 'cut' to store the blade in when folded is on the inside rather then the outside...... makes it more comfy on the hand i feel when in use

top job!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Well I've finished the basic build of mine, rough and ready really. I will spend more time on it smoothing and shaping. Good fun little project.

The wood cost me a whopping £2.80! And Blade £3 so really cheap.

I did actually use my SFA to make the cord winder.

Biker

Hi,
This was one of the first threads I read after finding this forum and I was well impressed with the bucksaw/bowsaw. So much so that I wanted to have a crack at making my own. I don't think I've ever made a tool before, reshaping hammer or axe handles to fit doesn't count or course.

So anyway I had some handrail from an old loft ladder we no longer used so that was the doner wood. It's beech. I bought a Stanley 21" bow saw blade for just over €3 and the other bits and bobsI had in my many boxes of bits.

Here's the pix of my progress. I was going to do this as a tutorial but it seemed a bit presumptious to do that, I mean it's hardly rocket science and you people are pretty damn clever anyway.

So I dedicate this to Nodd, thanks for the inspiration mate, I loved making this and the best thing about it is that it actually works! :D

One feature I did include in mine is stowing the blade and a spare in the main spar. You'll see what I mean in the photos. The final size is 45mm x 35mm x 570mm long. I plan on making some sort of sleeve for it now.

Bowsaw01.jpg

And it fully assembled. 2 coats of oak stain wax rubbed into it, it helps the tenons slide in too.

Bowsaw03.jpg

And just in case you want to have a go yourself here's a "fag packet" drawing with the measurements of mine.

Bowsaw02.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Biker

Really nice one!
Feel inspired to have a go myself. Any tips for an amateur like me, about how best to cut that grove?

If you don't have access to a table saw then I would suggest gluing and cramping 3 pieces of wood together laminate style. The "sandwich filler" being narrower than the "bread" thus forming the groove. Make sure the wood is flat and varnish free and use PVA woodglue, when dry it's actually stronger than the wood, so it should be strong enough for the job. Forming the mortices might be the hardest job though, unless you've a steady with a drill and chisels. I suppose you could use the "sandwich" principle to make the upright too. Just glue the sandwich filling in leaving a gap where you want the mortice to be... yeah that'd work :)

I have a modest little workshop in my basement. Bench saw, piller drill, small bandsaw, chop saw and various power hand tools and I'm a carpenter by trade so it's not such a major leap outside my comfort zone for me to do this.

Nodd wrote: thanks Biker for your comments that is a nice bit of work

Thanks Nodd, it'd still be loft ladder bannister rail if I hadn't seen what you'd made from an old sofa. Hope your one serves you well over the years too. Looks like you've started a snowball rolling here ;)

Thanks for reading

Biker

Last edited:
If you don't have access to a table saw then I would suggest gluing and cramping 3 pieces of wood together laminate style. The "sandwich filler" being narrower than the "bread" thus forming the groove. Make sure the wood is flat and varnish free and use PVA woodglue, when dry it's actually stronger than the wood, so it should be strong enough for the job. Forming the mortices might be the hardest job though, unless you've a steady with a drill and chisels. I suppose you could use the "sandwich" principle to make the upright too. Just glue the sandwich filling in leaving a gap where you want the mortice to be... yeah that'd work :)

I have a modest little workshop in my basement. Bench saw, piller drill, small bandsaw, chop saw and various power hand tools and I'm a carpenter by trade so it's not such a major leap outside my comfort zone for me to do this.

Nodd wrote: thanks Biker for your comments that is a nice bit of work

Thanks Nodd, it'd still be loft ladder bannister rail if I hadn't seen what you'd made from an old sofa. Hope your one serves you well over the years too. Looks like you've started a snowball rolling here ;)

Thanks for reading

Biker

Thanks for the advice. I have a neighbour with a half decent workshop so I might buy him a pint and ask him to do the bit I can't manage with my hand tools.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
cracking job nodd, every bit as good as the RM saw that costs over £80, make a nice canvas bag for it next then your really in business!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE