From a shrunken jumper :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've got two old army "wooly pullys" that inadvertently went in the washing machine and ended up small enough to fit an elf. They are a bushy colour too.
Time to get cutting and sewing.

Incidentally Mary, do you know if it is possible to needle felt onto shrunken felted jumpers? Or is the fabric already too felted to allow added fibre to be felted in with a barbed felting needle?

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Told you, everyone's got one, or two, of them :rolleyes: :D
Ribbed, green, army or blue, navy/ airforce/ police ones make great hats and close fitting balaclavas.

It needlefelts fine. Needlefelting can be done so tightly that you end up felting into itself so even if the background won't felt down any more you can still create a stable fabric. That's how the 3D ooak models are done.

It was a commission for a pagan wedding cloak, but I needlefelted a Pictish knotwork border all along the hem and the fronts. Brought it up into a knotwork tree of life on the back. It works very well for that kind of detail. I used naturally dyed wools of course :D

cheers,
M

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Brilliant! I've just joined the Durham Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers so I'm sure I'll pick up loads of hints and tips from them. Just need to find someplace to buy needles and one of them brush type pads now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought needles from
http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk

I also got the most vicious looking multi needle felting tool :eek: Kind of terrified to try it to be honest :eek: I reckon I could puncture myself enough with that to lose at least a pint before I could extract it :yikes:

They also sell a beautiful partially felted merino cloth as a base medium for felting, as well as the silk mawata caps and ready dyed merino wools.

Damn it Eric, you've put me in the notion for this and I've got no time just now :sigh:
I've got a half finished pair of felt boots on the lasts too........

cheers,
Mary

p.s. usual disclaimers, no connection, just a happy customer :D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks for those ideas Mary,I'll need to check the bottom of the 'robes.

Think i've a very bright lemon Pringle somewhere too:eek:...safety watchcap? :D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
It was a commission for a pagan wedding cloak, but I needlefelted a Pictish knotwork border all along the hem and the fronts. Brought it up into a knotwork tree of life on the back. It works very well for that kind of detail. I used naturally dyed wools of course :D

cheers,
M

Love to see that if you have any piccies!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
excellent post Mary. it would have been a shame to waste the jumper, Id never have thought of making all that with it.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually can anyone explain the felting process? i'm not entirely up on how that works and why the threads don't all pull away when you cut the jumper up?

yes i'm a noob to this :D
pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wool is like a kind of scaly hair. Those little scales can help wool mat together. When you add hot soapy water and friction, pressure or agitation, they kind of lock and then shrink. The shrinking makes those locked together, entangled hairs, so interlocked that they cannot be freed. The result is felt.

It's believed by some fabric historians that the discovery is probably linked to lining shoes with fleece. The heat, pressure and moisture when the shoes were in use felted the insoles.

Needlefelting is a slightly different technique.
A barbed needle is repeated thrust through either a piece of fabric pulling the fibres of the chosen colour through the material to create a design. For individual felt sculptures, the needle is repeatedly thrust in and out of the mass of fibres to irredeemably entangle them.

Does this help ?
I can find you clear web illustrations if you want ? :)

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nice work.

I fear your front porch will start to resemble one of those overflowing recycling bins once members get around to posting their hand patterns and redundant woolly jumpers!

Cheers

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Awesome thanks toddy! i'm already on the look out for some woolen stuff to try some of this out, i've seen felt made from direct wool but never from an existing jumper.
like the idea of needle felting too, sounds painfull if you don't have say a frame to hold it against or something tho!
pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We use big car washing sponges for needlefelting :D
4 for a £ ones are excellent :cool:

Felt, the real stuff, not the kids craft kind, is an incredibly under rated material. Mongolian Yurts are covered with sheets of it, we have examples of boots and leggings made from it that are literally thousands of years old. It is warm, windproof, certainly showerproof, comfortable, spark proof and incredibly practical.
Good stuff.
Besides it's a good use for the occasional laundry mistakes :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I'll post the slipper photos in a bit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Slippers, toddlers snow mitts, a mini Christmas stocking, an Elf's boot and a mouse for the cat :D

The slippers I made from a pattern I made for soft quilted ones, and I find that the ones I've made from the wool are too big for me. I reckon they'd fit a size 4 and I need a little smaller :sigh:
I'm going to put them in with a dark wash and see if I can shrink them down a bit, but for the present, here they are.

IMG_8778.JPG

To make a pattern for these draw round your foot and leave about half a cm all round. I cut out four sole pieces because I wanted a padded warmth under my foot. Mark the centre heel and toe.

IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG

Find a sock like the one that was used for the boot liner and draw out the shape of it on a piece of paper. Widen the ankle as needed and measure around your foot again. Check you have enough width in the sole and two uppers to fit comfortably around your foot.
I cut the ankle to fit high on my ankle bone for warmth, but I didn't take it up my calf. If you lengthen the pattern there this would make a different boot liner.

If you look at the pattern piece for my slipper uppers in the photo above you can see how the toe is curved at the sole.
This makes a better fit without any extra seams.
When you have drawn out a trial pattern, try it against the sole pattern, from the centre toe mark to the centre heel mark. Remember the upper will need a seam allowance at both ends.

If you can manage to get both sides of the slipper upper from one piece of fabric, remember to reduce the length of the upper by the seam allowances at the heel.
All I had left were scraps so I have a seam at the heel but it's stitched down flat and smooth.
If you can't, cut two uppers one way up and then turn over the paper and cut two more.
This gives you the same fabric outside on both sides of the slipper.

Stitch the heel seam if needed, then begin to stitch from the toe along the upper to the ankle. These slippers could be left a little more open and elastic or a drawcord threaded in, but I made mine close fitting so once on they shouldn't slip off. Just make sure you leave enough of an opening to get your foot into the slipper :)

Start to stitch the sole and upper together. I found it easier starting from the heel seam and the centre heel mark on the sole. I did this for both sides.
Then I slip stitched the extra sole piece over the entire sole seam. Turn the slipper inside out and repeat :D

IMG_8773.JPG

Children's snow mitts were cut as the adult ones, though I had to reattach the cuff that had been the neckline. I just herringboned that onto the mitt cut outs.
I embroidered snowflakes just for fun. Overcast the edges of the mitts and made a twirly keeper cord to stop the child from losing a mitt.

PC240449.JPG

The scraps were looking sort of, "that's a shame to waste...", :eek:
So, since it is Christmas time, I made a mini Christmas Stocking, and a Pixie boot :cool: Really ought to have gone to town with the sequins and bells, but they'll do :D

PC240451.JPG

The cat, who had patiently kept me company, looking vaguely interested as I drew and cut and sewed the blue woolly things, got a toy mouse :D
I stuffed it with the tiny scraps and she can really get her claws into it. It's a new favourite toy, especially since Madam has decided to stay in out of the snow :)

IMG_8787.JPG

So, that's the lot from this jumper :D Thanks for your patience, and I'd love to see what you make from yours :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Brilliant.

I had two very similar jumpers that my wife shrunk years ago. I haven't seen her wearing them recently so may have to dig them out.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I agree, this is the best post on the site for a long time, I love these types of things! Thank you so much Toddy!

I have an old woollen scarf that I washed in the machine, thinking it was acrylic - it wasn't and I need a new pair of slippers :) I can probably get a hat and some mittens out of it as well!

I adore, love, admire, lust for ect ect these types of mend and make do bits, it's these types of skills we are losing.
It's a simple thing to look at a shrunken jumper and see the potential, but speaking personally, you need a body to point out that there is potential in it first.

We tend to just hand the shrunken clothing down to the kids, but for the tiny stuff, there is so much more that can be done!

Toddy - :You_Rock_:beerchug::notworthy

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Toddy :)

This looks a great project! Just one thing though, could you explain the different types of stitch you used? I generally only sew leather and I don't think saddle stitch will work on these :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE