Friction folder progress - Lots of pics.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I got a message from FGYT, AKA Duncan, recently to let me know he'd finished a friction folder blade that I was interested in, so I thought I'd post a few pics to show how the handle making process is going. Thanks to Duncan; I really like the blade.

friction_folder_05__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_11__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_10__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_13__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_15__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_17__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_23__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_25__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_27__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_28__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_33__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_35__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_36__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

friction_folder_37__72ppi by gibbermonkey, on Flickr

Once I get hold of some 3mm stainless rod I can glue it up and start shaping the handle. Can't wait.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I love friction folders, nice work! Nice handle shape there, it looks much better than a standard peasant. You'll be loving it when it's finished, you can't beat a decent folder!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wow, I hadn't realised it was such a simple system. I imagined hidden flat springs etc much like a penknife is. Most impressed with that. Love the bottle opener and 6mm hexagonal hole for screwdriver bits. Very clever that. Nice work Duncan and the woodwork looks good too.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Looking good!!

I've got the next blade from Duncan so about to do the same! The peasant handles just don't do it justice. What wood you using? I've got some Walnut on order.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Looking good!!

I've got the next blade from Duncan so about to do the same! The peasant handles just don't do it justice. What wood you using? I've got some Walnut on order.

Strange you should mention it; that is walnut. I had some lying about that I had spare and thought I may as well use it up. The pins will all be stainless, and the handle will be finished with clear Danish oil. I may even go so far as to make a leather sheath, complete with integral lanyard, for the little guy to snooze in.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Spooky! Two rehandled with Walnut, I'm gonna use brass pins and liners on mine, so will have some differances! . How you doing the pivot pin? figure still need to adjust so will use similar system to original peasant handle.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Wow - I've been trying to sketch something like that (with opener, trolley key but no hex) for ages - I can't even get it to work on paper!!! :( Nice work guys - I'll be watching with interest and envy :)

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Spooky! Two rehandled with Walnut, I'm gonna use brass pins and liners on mine, so will have some differances! . How you doing the pivot pin? figure still need to adjust so will use similar system to original peasant handle.

I asked Duncan to supply the pin. It's essentially a stainless tube with an internal thread at either end, into which a torx screw is fitted. It came with a couple of copper washers to space the blade and scales. I'll post a pic later on tonight.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
hey Chris thats awesome, think i might nick that idea of ya.....:)

is she coming to Brockwell for a test?????

If I can get a length of 3mm stainless in time there's a chance. Just ordered some, so hopefully it will turn up sharp enough to allow me to get it done in time for Brockers. That's this weeks mission.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE