Free Canoe Coaching

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes. See you there on Saturday at 10am, at the Kinloch Ard Community carpark. The TEITH will be a scrape,

I'll bring poles for sailing, maybe poling too.

Looks like a mild day but some gusts. See you there.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm on call next weekend and then April is looking fairly busy for me, May is a total right off as I'm on the TGO Challenge so it's going to be June before I'm paddling again.

Unless you're planning to swing by the Glen Trool meet?

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
That's at the end of my School (work) Easter hols, but may try a day there. My mate, coach, may come too as she lives nearby.

I have been learning to snowboard with my Ol class, so may try to do some of that too, so many sports........

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
[h=3]Record-breaking temperatures in Scotland.[/h]Today was a very warm day across much of the UK. Provisional figures show that the highest temperature of 22.8 C was recorded at Fyvie Castle in Aberdeenshire, making this the warmest March day on record for Scotland.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Weather - snow Monday/Tuesday to low levels. Might get some Boarding action in at Glenshee. Rivers low just now, except the Tay and Lochy.

Hopefully the snowmelt will help levels.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No chance for me now Nick, I'm pretty gutted we didn't get a few days in.

I should be back on the water in summer if you're still doing your log

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have only just seen this thread - good luck with your coaching awards :)
I warn you though ...you never seem to end up earning as much from being a coach as all the courses, assessments, gear requirements, updates and other general hoop jumping needed to become a coach, actually costs you!
But somehow it all seems worth it! :D Keep up the good work and remember - "Keep the open side upwards" :)
John Fenna BCU L4C :)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have only just seen this thread - good luck with your coaching awards :)
I warn you though ...you never seem to end up earning as much from being a coach as all the courses, assessments, gear requirements, updates and other general hoop jumping needed to become a coach, actually costs you!
But somehow it all seems worth it! :D Keep up the good work and remember - "Keep the open side upwards" :)
John Fenna BCU L4C :)

I'm not doing it for cash as I teach full time but do a day a week as an Outdoor Learning Teacher in the same school.

Remit does not increase much between UKCC L1 and 2 though. The 4 Star Leader is better as you can lead 2(3), as long as the group is 2 Star or better.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Old style Level Four Coach is all I want to be the new system sucks IMHO - my remit is "Anyone Anywhere" :)
Only level 5 Coaches (canoe gods) can do more - legally! :D

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes, I wish had kept going in the 90s to old Level 3 Open. Means I could do Spey and Loch Lomond trips with school. That's what I'm aiming for now.

It has been - 1 day FSRT, 1 Day 2 Star, 2 Days UKCC Level 1, 1 Day 3 Star Open, 2 3hr Foundation Modules, 2 Days L2 Training, 2 Days 4 Star Open Training. And I'm still 'Sheltered Water' remit until I do - 1 Day L2 Assessment, 2 Day 4 Star Open Assessment, 2 Day MWE training, 2 Day MWE Assessment.................. So that's why the Old system was better for quickly getting a good remit !

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is a lot of time and money that you are parting with to get your quallies there!
I hope the school is paying ....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE