Free Canoe Coaching

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I need to log some coaching hours to help towards my 4 Star Open Canoe Assessment and UKCC level 2 Assessment.

So if anyone wants some free Open Boat coaching one staurday or sunday in central scotland, Canal, Loch Ard etc from a UKCC level 2 Trainee, 4 Star Open Boat trainee, then post up a date.

You would need your own personal kit, boat and be able to survive the conditions eg warm and or dry clothing! I can lend poles though.

This would be a peer paddle but I would coach what skills you need - eg trim, push tow setups, boat setup, paddling in wind, open water rescues (can be done with boat only so you stay dry), J stroke shortening, reverse Js, sail setups, different rafting techniques etc. We could do the Teith but you would have to be experienced enough. Or you may wish to just join me on a paddle and get some tips.

Of course banter and a kelly kettle stop will be compulsory..........

What sort of Paddling do I do you might ask ? See some posts below.

Loch Morar, Arisaig, Caley Canal and River Lochy

Loch Ard Canoe Camp

ASC Grp on Loch Ard

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Yip me and colin (Coln18) would be up for that any time after this weekend
I have only been paddling for a year but have all my own gear ,Colin has been paddling for about two and also has all his own gear
Any coaching to stop me spashing about would would be great

Jason

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just to confirm what Jason said, well up for this one, i have been paddling for the last couple of years, can do the basics ok, but to be honest i have leaned the strokes myself, i have also practiced self rescue a lot and feel not to bad on that one. I have a canoe trip to Canada planned for next year where we will be paddling non stop for 2 weeks, so any help in making my strokes more effortless and tiring will be appreciated, also i like the idea of improving my technique into the wind. As Jason says, im up for this one any time after this weekend.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I could be up for a bit of that too Nick, I need to get myself a dry suit though I reckon

You don't really need a drysuit for the canal or loch ard. For example today we were supposed to go sailing but just too windy. As it's showery I was just going to wear goretex hillwalking kit. If it was a river trip eg the Teith, I would wear the drysuit. Or if it was rain all day then a drysuit.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We never met up. Those guys were having fun ! somewhere. I was meeting them Sunday but we never arranged a time before they left the shore friday.

Txt I got at 1pm said they had a lovely morning on Inchtavannach. They were camping somewhere from Thursday.

Next Saturday ?

10am - Loch Ard, or if no wind Balmaha/Luss ?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE