Fox in a tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Who would hang a dead fox in a tree, and why ?

Came across one on Sunday whilst out for a mooch with a pal. It had been hung in the lower branches and judging by the fluidity of the blood running out of its nose, I'd say it was probably from the previous day or night.

Was it just a farmer and he's slung it up there to keep it away from his livestock or is it somebody up to no good do we think ?

I did take some pics but nobody needs to see what a dead fox in a tree looks like :rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any obvious signs of trauma or disease?

Not really, not like shotgun trauma anyway. Could've been dogs I suppose but it looked to be in a tidy condition apart from the bloody nose.

Should be up that way again tomorrow so I'll take another look if it's still there.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Was it just a farmer and he's slung it up there to keep it away from his livestock or is it somebody up to no good do we think?

Could be coursers, but my guess would be someone who wants to show the keeper/farmer that he shot charlie. I tend to think that they get a bit of a raw deal most of the time, but that another cider debate :D if we shoot any fox we keep the brush as proof. But we leave them alone unless theres a rum deal for the folds. Too many folk gannin for em i rekon

Sam

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Gamekeepers gibbets hung with what were considered vermin once used to be commonplace in the countryside. Often along boundry fences but sometimes elsewhere, they were assumed to act as a deterrant, discouraging those unwanted creatures from entering the land that was being patrolled.

You don't mention where the tree was located but maybe what you've found is someone's idea of that.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I've seen similar sights, once 7 eviscerated foxes hanging along a fence, also stoats and weasels, some kind of sick trophies I've always thought.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The nearest I've come to this is leaving the brush fixed to a release pen with empty cartridge slipped over the severed bone. That was before I took up reloading and the Keeper would present me with a few boxes of .222 RWS every now and then.

Leaving any trace of culled wildlife is bad news in my book as is evidenced by this post.

Cheers

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Our shoot takes 70+ foxes each year - and since it's every year, that means it's a sustainable level. Around the boundaries the keeper often shoves the body down a disused rabbit hole, so the smell remains but there's no visible trace. No idea if that works - the 70+ foxes each year suggest it probably doesn't...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Not foxes, rabbit carcasses round our woods; to stop dogs rolling on the rotting bodies I suppose. Always more in Myxi season.:(

Recently some twonk has taken to putting them in plastic bags before hanging them up.:(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen dead beasties put above ground by someone who wanted to have the skeleton cleaned by birdies etc.
They figured that the beast would be pecked fairly clean but not lose small bones as the ligaments would not be taken .....dont know if it worked though!

cybertrix

Aug 24, 2003
Nottinghamshire
When a landowner employed a vermin controller or mole catcher they always used to hang up the bodies to show they were earning their wages. Still see it done with rabbits and squirrels from time to time.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
I saw a similar thing about 2 weeks ago with rabbits and moles?? Asked local farmer and was told that it used to be a traditional way of the game keeper and vermin controllers from showing their work off to the Lord of ther Manor...... dunno if this still is the case.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
BashaBuddy

This was the case on a farm I used to frequent about 20 - 25 years ago,magpies, jays squirrels were hung from the fence or gibbet as proof that the keeper was doing his job , it's very much taboo now though.

I've also seen dead rabbits, foxes etc hung in release pens to get fly blown, then the maggots drop for the birds to feed on. I wouldn't do it my self as the pens stink and you don't want to walk beneath on when feeding :(

As John said I've seen it done to strip the carcass to a skeleton.
Whatever floats your boat :confused:

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
your probably find it was a game keeper, the one around here does it. They are suposed to put them in a speciel pit or have them taken away but that costs so he just throws them over a hedge instead:confused: you d be suprised what illegal of that type i come across!

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
1st post so howdy, We get foxes down our allotments every year an once killed we hang them on the fence, 1stly to let the neighboring allotment owners know there chickens are safe again, an secondly birds come an pick the fur for there nests which is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE