Fox in a tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
the game keepers and others do it to show they are working some people still do it to show who evers land it is that they are realy doing as asked of them, I must laugh as my mine on foxs has started to change over the last couple of years, From someone that used to hunt foxs day and night with horse and rifle , were I am now in central birmingham I want to keep the foxs at my allotment as they eat the rats which the ferral cats dont as they run though garbage bins instead, so kill all foxs except for the ones at hedgerow allotment and then get rid of the ferral cats instead, As for the chickens and ducks i keep they live inside a fox proof pen and yes you can build them cheaply as i have

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have known some hunters to 'leg' their shot rabbits & hang them on the fence, to be picked up on the way home, so the fleas jump off in the field rather than inside your 4x4. I have also heard of the Gibbet or vermin line, but those seemed to be on fences where passing people of importance (the squire, landowner, gamekeeper etc.. ) would see them. All of those were good old country traditions with a sound reason for doing it.

But leaving a fox in a tree? That sounds daft & may be the work of someone up to no good, such as teenagers or the local louts... No good reason for doing it. The fact that it sounds like it had not been shot is interesting. Could have died been hit by a car & thrown into the tree by the impact (if near a road).

Mayor

Jun 10, 2009
Sweden
Hah! I pulled a fox from the snow and put it in a sprucetree a couple of days ago

i just wanted to see what happens to it when it doesnt get to rot on the ground

Not likely that it was this fox you saw though. : )

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry guys, but any of you that have lived in the country for any length of time will have seen this before. It's just part of the the process of land management. It is actually a land owners responsibility to control pests and this just shows that he or his contractor has done his job.

I don't like it and wouldn't do it but I won't try and change long-standing country practices. To be fair though, when a young couple moved out here from the city recently and complained (in less than polite terms) because the farmers hung the foxes on the gates the farmers just stopped doing it (near them anyway).

Cheers,

Broch

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
The only foxes i meet from time to time either live on my grandmothers allotment where they keep the rats at bay very well (she will even leave them the occasional chicken carcas when she does a roast)

or the one that lives on the next street or so in my part of manchester, that fox is so urbanised and so unfased by humans that it will happilly walk past you passing about a meter away! and if its on the pavement and you are comming along you practically have to walk round him. He certianly dosent show any signs of aggression towards humans, just curiosity it certianly wouldent suprise me if i saw somone stroking him he is that tame

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE