Forward Planning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Wheels on this one are running on a piece of pipe thats held to the axle with Ubolts. Always when I was a kid, I would use bent over nails or bits of wood screwed on.

c-dscf1704.jpg

Back axle is secured to the frame the same way. The frame is jointed at the back. Discovered just nailing one piece of wood to the other always failed as its not strong enough and is a pig to sit on.

c-dscf1706.jpg

Top piece of wood was laid on bottom piece, two lines drawn, then cut with a saw, before the middle section was chiselled out. 3 or 4 wood screws hold it together.

c-dscf1707.jpg

Ubolts hold the back axle on too. This si Big Ideas Gokart. He built it when he was 12 ish. The wheelbarrow wheels were in a bankrups stock shop for £3 each.

c-dscf1708.jpg

This is Little Ideas gokart. This has sack truck wheels. It has bearings, but its axles are m10 threadded bar, so the bearings are irelevant.

c-dscf1709.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Again, the length is governed by his leg length

c-dscf1710.jpg

Front axle on this one is wider than the rear, simply to give more space when turning for his ankles.

c-dscf1712.jpg

The blocks on the rear axle stop his rear sliding into the wheels on corners.

c-dscf1713.jpg

c-dscf1714.jpg

String to pull it..

c-dscf1715.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If you were going to use your wind cart on soft ground how about using a skid break, just a leaver in the middle to pull up, which forces a bar or paddle against the ground to slow and then stop your cart, like those used to steer a toboggan just a bar with a pivot in the middle or towards the ground end to give you a mechanical advantage, also you could brace the steering pivot bending a strip of metal round the nose of the cart, then another piece wrapped around the point where the steering will attach and put the pivot through to give it more strength,

Brilliant adventure Dude!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
So long as the holes in the top are drilled, the kids can usually hammer the screws in without splitting the wood.

c-dscf1716.jpg

Drilled hole on this one for the rope. Nails always seem to come out eventually and the rope always ends up tangled in the bearings if you tie it to the inside of the metal axle.

c-dscf1717.jpg

Big bolt for front pivot with a washer in between the pieces of wood. Two washers always seems better. No Idea why.

c-dscf1718.jpg

Axle on this one is chiselled into the 2 x 3, then plywood nailed over the top. The nuts keep the studding in place, so the wheel does not rub on the wood.

c-dscf1719.jpg

Chomped off with 4 ft bolt crops. Little Idea has heard of hacksaws but wont have anything to do with them if he can possibly help it.

c-dscf1720.jpg

Those are sack truck wheels with bearings.

When I was a kid, I used to use pram wheels. Cant find any anymore though, and those piddly little pushchair wheels arnt any good.

Time to go...

Later.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Wow those look so much better than the old 'soap box' type that you used to see in the 'Beano'. Think I'll have to keep an eye out for some wheels as there is a rather 'handy' slope round the back of us, that gets well used by sledges in the snow!

That Haynes book looks good too, might have to add that to my 'wish list' :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE