Fort williams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
If you didn't want anyone's comments or advice, why did you post on a public forum? Or online at all?

Do what you like, but I suspect that at best, your going to have a slightly miserable time of it, or a very lucky near miss. At worst, its the local search and rescue and a near death experience.

I have no issue with others comments. I am more than capable of replying to them. Rather it seems that this is the public internet and people are upset that I posted on it and didn't like what I was saying. You might have things back to front:) if you're not going to agree with what someone sais then just close the tab.

Hugh, I for one would be interested to hear your honest reports!

If it is of I terrestrial I will keep a log. I just got an email that my new phone will be arriving tomorrow, so now I'll have something whose battery doesn't die after 10 minutes.

A few of us are heading out to Loch Trool, Dumfriesshire 1st July - 3rd July for a wee reccie trip. you are more than welcome to join us if you end up in those parts

I appreciate the gesture but alas I have skgnificant anxiety and shyness issues among others, and do not mingle. I like to be alone.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hugh, we are not upset with your posts...
We are just concerned, as good Christians/Muslims/Samaritans/Jews/whatever, of your welfare..

Personally, having had to carry a backpack weighing 49 kilos and extra equipment weighing 15kg+ for close to three years when young and stupid, I am interested of the welfare of your lower back!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I've not even read up on how to rig a tarp or hammock
I quote this, from your first post, as an example. One huge question, WHY?
I do not quite understand what you are trying to prove and by that I mean to yourself and not to the forum. It seems that you intend to go out into an unfriendly world without taking an bit of care, almost wishing to come as close to, if not in actual, danger; just to prove to yourself you can / could / maybe / maybe not get hurt even though the tiniest bit of prep would negate this. Do you feel that learning how to put up a Tarp is akin to losing both testicles?
I really do not feel that the forum is against you but rather they would not wish you to come to harm. What is so wrong with going out AND being comfortable?

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I quote this, from your first post, as an example. One huge question, WHY?
I do not quite understand what you are trying to prove and by that I mean to yourself and not to the forum. It seems that you intend to go out into an unfriendly world without taking an bit of care, almost wishing to come as close to, if not in actual, danger; just to prove to yourself you can / could / maybe / maybe not get hurt even though the tiniest bit of prep would negate this. Do you feel that learning how to put up a Tarp is akin to losing both testicles?
I really do not feel that the forum is against you but rather they would not wish you to come to harm. What is so wrong with going out AND being comfortable?

Because being able to rig a tarp and hammock is about as common sense as it gets. I do not need to practice or read about how to tiresome lines to a tree in a suitable manner. There may indeed be better ways, better knots, but if it works it works. I have never felt welcome enough here to discuss my mental health problems and accomplishments in detail, but yes, accomplishing feats like this through the application of logic and reason, with the experience of error, it mean everything to me. I would much rather I came to harm through trying than try and plan for every possible contingency. It may not be an agreeable notion for most, but it is that which gives me reason to bother to keep going

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To be fair and honest, iI did some experimenting in my late teend like that. Had quite a bit of wilderness experience with my dad, with equipment but I started experimenting going 'bare' with a minimum of stuff, eating fish I cought and animals I shot with my .38.

Yes I wish the OP safety, but it is quite refreshing to do unknown, potentially dangerous stuff.

Being an old guy with plenty of experience, I am now taking up this path again.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Janne, you're right. The inhibition of the wilderness experience has to be ignored. .22cal is a meat gun.
The OP has all sorts of resources as he has so plainly explained. Bash on, dude.
He can bump up against the wilderness for weeks on end and learn huge amounts in the process.
Can I add a First Aid kit? Nobody will save your butt. DIY.

I forget how different the UK experience is from mine.
UK = 243,600 km^2 and some 59+ million people
The province of British Columbia where I live is 944,700 km^2 with 4.6 million people.
Canada is a whole Hello lot bigger than that.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I would much rather I came to harm through trying than try and plan for every possible contingency
"Much Rather" or ensure it happens. Being foolhardy is not a mental heath issue, it is just silly.
Letting folk learn to climb a tree is a good thing. Getting the odd scrape on the knee, getting a bruise is not all bad. Juggling flaming batons in lesson one is stupid!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Robson V, true, true....

People today are overly cautious. I find myself to be that most of the time. Now when my son is almost ready for his own future, I can relax and have fun again.

If I was the OP, coming from a huge city, I would love to find my primitive roots.

It seems that he had some 'issues' in his life. I had that too, once upon a time. Nature, the solitude healed me.

I hope the OP reports from time to time during his trip, warts and all.

But stitching yourself with a fish hook, that is worthy YouTube!

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I see this as a 'go big or go home trip'. It's not something I'd necessarily do myself but that's not to say it's wrong. I would recommend not going up the hills with all the kit and not going near the water, it's not a reflection on you but it's to save the volunteer groups the bother going out to look/pick you up/rescue you. Write a journal, to catalogue your experience and to make notes on what kit worked for you, how carrying various weights/kit felt, what you'll bring and leave at home the next time. It's a free country but it's not an approach I'd take. Just one further prohibitive note regarding your fishing kit, don't have a go in any loch/river you see, up here they're owned by someone and the owner usually tries to get people to pay money to fish on the aforementioned loch/river. A gamekeeper has quite extensive powers with regard to seizing equipment or vehicles thought to be holding equipment used in poaching. Salt water is fine but note my earlier comments regarding rescue. In some villages you'll be able to buy a day ticket to catch 2-3 fish for not very much money. Up in the NW I got a 3 fish ticket for £5, lots of fish seen but no fish caught. Oh and bring some midge repellent, I recommend Smidge. I'll accept anyone's comment of 'oh they don't bother me' but when they're hoarding round your nostrils, eyes and mouth as you're trying to eat they can be a real pain.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Everyone's got to learn at some point. There's a few of us more mature folk who learnt by trial and error, before the days of the Internet.

Mobile phone signals can be patchy, register for the Emergency SMS.........http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/registering_your_mobile_phone.php
Not just for yourself, you never know you may need it to help someone else!

No map = no wandering off into the far wilds or mountains, the weather can change very dramatically and very suddenly, people can die of hypothermia even in summer.
Keep hydrated, it can also get very hot, heat exhaustion/sunstroke can get you as well.

Scoman's right about the midge, head net at the least or pick yourself up a Beatons midge jacket, just over £20 will be money well spent, they are in Inveraray.

Keep your brain in gear, stay safe, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to Chris's post, and Scoman's as well :approve:

Have an adventure, try stuff, it's a beautiful island, enjoy it :D

You have a brain, use it too.

M

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'll voice my opinion in that I'd like to see a trip report.

Again, like others here, I learnt through trial and experience rather then book learning. However it was generally short trips close to home [even in the back garden - once my tent collapsed under the weight of the snow :)] before going off on extended trips with less kit. Although as you've got a car and presumably won't be straying days away from it, if you do get in difficulty there is an escape.

I'd say keep your car fuelled up, get a good set of foul weather clothes and always keep a dry set in the car - and have at it.

I'l give you credit in that you seem pretty aware of your limitations and knowledge [or lack thereof] When I was younger I thought I could do more than I actually could which can be dangerous, but you never find what your capable of if you don't push.

Take care, nothing wrong with bailing out or altering plans [if you have them :)]

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi, hughlle1, if you have not been discouraged with the "being wrapped in cotton wool approach" & you have not abandoned the post......
Can I just say... you sound a lot like me, I too like my own company... You've not said how you intend traveling, but fling a motorbike or a car in the mix & it sounds perfectly safe & it's pretty much how I spent my youth, I live & grew up in Scotland have done all my life, grew up wild solo wild camping in Scotland...

you mentioned the possibility of a ferry pass this could suggest a motor bike or maybe even a car & like Mousey has already suggested If it was being used as a mobile base camp,????? Without additional conformation on exactly how you intend traveling your plans could seem safe & sound, wish I was going with you, I don't think it dangerous I don't think you'r mad, I would love to read with interest any account of your travels, I say go for it, let me know how you get on, I am sure there others who would also be interested

Scotland is actually mostly a friendly place if you are up front about your intentions & are not covertly trespassing... with permission I've slept in fields, barns.... Even huddled overnight too cold to sleep in caves along the coast & slept during the day when its warmer, sometimes Traveling at night bike heavy with tones of kit, on road, off road, forestry trails,I've drank water running off the hills, one time almost out of water, in the middle of no where I found a water trough in a field with horses in, it was a long way from the farm house but had a tap with fresh water plumbed in & I was able to fill my canteen. in Scotland we are actually quite civilized, "chap on the door & ask" I've bought local produce like eggs milk veggies from farms along the way...

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Dude , just get on with it. If you dont want advice just don't post in the first place. You asked, people will respond, do it, get on with it, don't ask for validation. You are clearly more proficient and experienced than anyone else. So go off in a quiet and dignified manner and enjoy your experience.

Yeah this. If you don't want advice why post a thread now? Go have your camping trip and then come back and post a trip report.

I won't be so dramatic as to say you're being dangerous, but you're definitely making it harder on yourself considering you say:

- you have little experience
- you have little strength
- you have excessive gear
- you have gear that you aren't familiar with.

Simply put, you can enjoy being a contrarian, or, you could realise you're making it difficult for yourself for no reason.

Let me give you an anecdote. I went hillwalking a few months back with some friends, one experienced and one not. The unexperienced one had just got a new rucksack and has been super motivated to improve his health. He wanted to bring the rucksack up the hill with him with a bunch of pretty useless stuff "for the challenge" or "for fun". My other friend and I talked him out of it. Things like climbing mountains and going wild camping are enough of a challenged without making things more difficult for yourself ESPECIALLY if you're stamina is not there physically.

I don't mean this meanly, but I doubt we'll see a follow up from you.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
... You've not said how you intend traveling, but fling a motorbike or a car in the mix & it sounds perfectly safe & it's pretty much how I spent my youth, I live & grew up in Scotland have done all my life, grew up wild solo wild camping in Scotland...

"I'll be in the car each time I go somewhere new I can leave stuff in the car depending on what I fancy trying" - In post #3 :) Sound quite do-able, sure he's got very little experience, but you have to start somewhere, I can think of worse places than Scotland in summer, just keep an eye on the weather and remember where you've parked...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I traveled all over Scotland in my youth it seemed a lot less busy back then not so many places to wild camp nowadays. Now in my early 50s I too have learnt through trial and error. I now have many commitments & responsibilities but would love to have the opportunity & the freedom to be able to go wild care free camping again on the bike, no plans no ideas just pack up & go....
Probably folks are more wary of travelers in today's world...

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
It wouldn't be how I would want to go, but I wish you every success.
Actually I'm a little bit jealous, I've always semi fantasised about just going away for a while and surviving.

Please keep a record and update us as and when.
Also please have a good think about your personal safety, it's for your own good. Let people know where you are, where you're going, emergency contact, plenty of supplies, and be realistic about your current abilities.
Take Care and Best Wishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE