For those of you with 12cm zebra billy cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I know many of you use the zebra billy cans and I'm sure some of you, like me, have often thought it would be useful to have a second cooking pot, especially when the drop in tray that comes with them is not quite big enough for the cooking job in hand.
I'm sure many of you will say that most cooking can be done in the one billycan and lid, and yes it can, however for a while i have been looking for a stainless steel pot that would drop neatly inside allowing the tray and lid to still fit.

After searching many kitchen/cooking shops and stores as well as looking for things i could adapt i came across some stainless steel kilner jars with perspex lids in Woolworths. They are £4 and they are the best fit imaginable. They need a little bit of modification but it doesn't take long.

After cutting off the lid and clasp thing with some pliers, you are left with a pot, if you cut it down with an angle grinder to the tapering lip (you would have to look at it to understand completely) it fits perfectly inside, allowing the tray and lid to drop in on top as normal. I then drilled two holes (3mm) either side at the top to make a loop handle out of old coathanger. Its make the billycan much more useful and versatile yet still all in the one container and the weight increase is minimal
Hope this helps some of you to add to an already good cookset and also make it better very cheaply,
PM me if you want any more details, i could try and put some photos up?

Reactions: Zodiak

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Does anyone want to see some step by step photo's to have a go themseves? if so i'll get another jar and make another pot and put the photo's up here. its a very simple job

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE