For the well equipped bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Lol, I saw this article on my news feed.
I will bet that you will never see anyone with one of these bags, no matter how "fashionable" they are!

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I remember back in early 80’s whilst living in Germany they sold a rucksack there which was a bivouac combined. The frame acted as the top end, a zipped sleeve was around it containing the bid I canvas which unrolled into the bivouac. Neat idea but never caught on though.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I thought that most largish rucksacks were already capable of being used as an emergency sleeping bag [or what I knew as an 'elephants foot'] to at least cover your legs, and if it has an expansion draw corded bit maybe even your waist...

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I ask myself whole the time why people discuss in most bushcraft forums 120 litres ruck sacks.

I guess I contain myself round about 93 litres, because that's my weight in kilograms.
Using a good quality, not to light 3 seasons equipment that fits easily in a 34 litres ruck sack, sometimes I think about buying a more compact real ultra light trekking equipment and such a 120 litres military rucksack...

After living "out of the ruck sack" living in the ruck sack would be the next consequent step!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
;0)

Off course!

That's why I own a 80+10 litres Fjällräven with additional 10 litres in the side pouches, the last model made in Sweden, incredibly expensive, incredibly good.

I bought it mainly for Scandinavia 3 Seasons and winter Tours in Austria. In Tyrol or around Salzburg it's better to bring some insulation material with you, if you plan to play in the snow.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No, I ment, that in december in Tyrol you need several litres of sleeping bags, woolen jumpers, Fleece jackets, merino shirts, spare socks and so on...

I love the folding mat of the Bundeswehr. But that is a thin thing. In winter times sometimes I take two or need twigs under it.
It's very nice for stealth camping, that I carry it in the ruck sack. Wild camping is only tolerated but not officially allowed in Germany.

A lot of people discuss air mats in bushcraft forums. For me an air mat is a comfortable camping equipment for summer hikes and camping grounds, but no bushcraft equipment.
But really: I never carried a rolled cell foam mat on top of my ruck sack! (I only use them in the canoe.) I used most times woolen blankets or sheep skins, lol !
A bit old fashioned perhaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE