For the well equipped bushcrafter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Got you!

Yes, important stuff!

Unfortunately it is bulky, what I used to do is to use a thin line and forcefully tie that stuff up in tight, hard ’sausages’.

Saves lots of space.
I own two backpacks. 35 l and 100+ l. ( not exactly sure, bag is from 1979) then I can add a ’condom’ underneath, and always the underlay mat on top.
I usually carry fishing rods, they go on the side.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I have a 100L rucksack, that I used when I was a student, to move from one rented house or flat to another... I think that for travelling and camping, I never used more than a 65L.

The temptation to completely fill a 100L rucksack with "essential" things would make it too heavy.

In my 65L rucksack, I think that the heaviest items were a beechwood chopping board and a 10" cooking knife.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Real winter, how we have it sometimes in Germany too, -25*C in the night, or even changing temperatures in the winter when skiing, where you can get sweaty and whet in the day an need to change clothing in the evening can be a reason for a large ruck sack.

And if you carry as the strongest equipment for a group in normal winter conditions around 0*C, for example as a boy scout leader, such a bag is packed full very soon.

But yes, I have a 65 litres german army Flecktarn Rucksack which usually is enough, especially if I put the winter sleeping bag on top of it.

But don't forget: Janne like me made the most, longest and hardest tours many years ago. The equipment became far more compact and lighter in the last 20 years.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I had to ‘go light’ already in my early 20’s, in the early 1980’s.
L5 and L4 got cracked.

That meant I had to sacrifice luxury like a soap, underwear and sock changes and such.
Plus develop a carrying technique where most of the weight was carried by my illiac crests of my hips. Balance the rear backpack with a smaller on the chest.

No axe, no saw. No tent preferably. Plan the trek so I could fish every day for food.

They wanted to fuse those vertebrae 20+ years ago. No thanks,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE