For Bivi Bag Virgins!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
crazydave said:
keep the bag and dont use down bags in a hammock unless you stick a kip mat under you - hammocks are generally comfy but a wee bit over rated ...
talking of which, that operation is a right pain on a cold wet night if you have to get out of you hammock, get your boots on to make it a reasonable distance away and then get back to bed. And it gets worse as you get older, trust me on that :(

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Ive used a bivi bag for years and have never had any trouble. Being a ground dweller I simply slip in a 3/4 length sleeping mat and a 2 season synthetic sleeping bag (which when conbined with the bivi bag rates it to a 3 to 4 season bag) into the bivi and away I go. I use a basha to keep the worst of the weather from my face, kit and fire. It is low impact, light and adaptable. Its the only way to travel. Go on, get one, you know it makes sense!

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
crazydave said:
keep the bag and dont use down bags in a hammock unless you stick a kip mat under you - hammocks are generally comfy but a wee bit over rated as they can cause knee joint and back problems - not a good idea in winter as you cant keep your shelter warm due to the high tarp not keeping the wind out and bivvibags dont go very well with hammocks so keep your options open.

I normally have back problems but when I sleep in a hammock I'm completely comfortable and no pain on the back the next day (for me it's even better then a bed). From what I heard and experienced hammocks set up right and lying diagonally are the best thing there is for a painful back.

(I slept 3 months in a hammock without ever seeing a bed - now just for camping because I have no place to put it up at home)

sorry for offtopic ;)

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I sleep better in my hammocks. All you have to do is sleep on the diagonal, as previously mentioned. If you feel that your knees are hyperextended, put something under them, such as a rolled up jacket.
I've never had any back problems with them...?
I won't sleep on the ground again unless I can't find any trees.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've spent weeks and months living in bivibags of various sorts over the years, and in some very foul weather. never had any significant issues that i can recall...

might have to check out the book

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE