For Bivi Bag Virgins!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
It's been said before many times and I'm just saying it again!
this book is fantastic, :You_Rock_
if you've considered Bivying (bivy bag)read this before, and after you will love it!
there are many many anacdotes that will amuse teach and give you courage when you need it the most!
the funny thing for me is i've been to several of the bivy sites he mentions!

342_FC.jpg

Here's a link to the book/publisher!
The Book of the Bivvy

I had to order mine as they go pretty quick off the shelves! :D

Reactions: beachlover

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I agree with you Rappleby, it's a very useful and entertaining book that is the perfect antidote to "kitchen sink syndrome", and the routes mentioned sound quite good too.
Happy trails......Torc.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I am (was) serioulsy looking at getting a Bivi bag over the next few months so I invested in this book and I am glad that I did, its really well written and very easy to read. :You_Rock_

Unfortunatley its put me off the whole idea, I was OK until it said you can either be warm and wet or cold and dry!! Perhaps I will get one of those tarptents instead? :D

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I tried bivying on my Minster Way walk last week; during the totally mental heat wave. I was using a cheapo bivy bag that says it's breathable, but is probably only minimally so as it's PU coated something-or-other.

The first night I slept like a log because I was exhausted, but the second night I was simply too hot and sweaty, and ended up sleeping on top of the bivy bag with the sleeping bag as a quilt to get comfortable. If it's been raining I would've been in deep trouble, and my stuff got damp from the dew when it wasn't getting sweaty inside the bivy. I'm sure it's a different experience with a decent gore-tex bivy, or just the right sleeping bag for the weather (my only one was too warm), but there's little flexibility.

It must help to have experience, as with anything. I didn't pitch the tarp because it obviously wasn't going to rain, and it's only just now occurred to me that I should have used it as a ground sheet. What a spanner I am.

Anyway, it hasn't put me off. Some places just aren't tent-friendly grassy plains, and that makes them worth going to. :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
sandsnakes said:
http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/category/categoryid=bivi-bags/rowid=30

Try this link. I have a bivvi from this guy, it was issued but unused, still in its original wraper.

My experiance of bivvi's (UK army surplus as above) was that the chaps who slept in tents woke up damp when I was dry in a bivvi and under a tarp. So horses for courses.

Sandsnakes

Even though I said I was sweaty and uncomfortable, I think I would've been fine with a light weight summer sleeping bag instead of my down one, and if I had a genuinly breathable bivy it would've been cushy. It's really worth a go if you want to get off the beaten track, as it opens up whole new areas that are untentable.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
I have a Terra Nova jupiter bivvy bag and have spent some great nights out in it. Two nights on the top of Hevelyn and many nights around Table top mountian, Breacon beacons.

Dont be put off untill you try it!!!

Simon R

Oct 29, 2004
Stafford
Whenever I use a bivvy bag I only get into it if it's going to or is raining, or it's a bit cold and I want some extra warmth. Otherwise I'll sleep on top of it, using it as a ground sheet but you can still get into it quickly if it rains. This way you don't get any condensation or a damp sleeping bag.
Not carrying a tent is great unless there is midges around, they drive me mad!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just bought it for £4.00 off Amazon.... It's hilarious !! :lmao: The guy knows how to be informative but not get too serious even SWMBO is reading it and laughing !! :D

Jul 18, 2005
Montana, U.S.
I built my own bivy and have never been wet or cold in it.
Ventilation is the key. Just like a tent a bivy won't stay warm if it doesn't breath (and your sleeping bag won't keep you warm either if it gets moist).

I made my bivy so I can open it up and lie on top of it, and still close it over top of me with a minimum of bother, in a short period of time.

I put a zipper down 3/4 of the bag on the right side, plus pieces of velcro on the flap that covers the zipper, used to either align everything or to close it if I don't need to zip up.

The foot of the bivy isn't openable as it doesn't have a zipper, and I leave my sleeping bag tucked into it. However it does have a air vent sewed into it.
- A 25 mm slit with bug netting and a cover tacked down over it every 10 cm.
This allows it to breath and expel moisture.

The head cover folds out over the top and if needed is pulled down over the head and secured to the body of the bivy with velcro. The head cover has a large window of netting to keep out bugs, and a waterproof cover to cover the window if needed.

I used this often in winter and summer for many years and stayed warm and dry.

disclaimers:

I am now a hammock camper as the ground has gotten harder than it was when I was younger.

I did start to use a small tarp overhead towards the end as I slept through a small shower with my bivy open one night.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
bivvy bags goretex type are great for stop and sleep - I'd add either a poncho or basha to the mix if only to help keep kit dry. remember that it adds a half season rating and cuts out the wind chill of just a bag alone.

there's nothing like waking up on the top a git big hill knowing the only way is down and there's only you up there - probably better than your first night in the woods without a tent :)

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
dean4442 said:
I've spent many nights in an army issue bivvy bag and been very comfy

Lucky lucky man!

I recall a guy on my Fundamental Bushcraft course the morning after sleeping in the standard army issue bivvys....needless to say it rained quite a bit (4 days solid!) and he was actually wringing his sleeping bag out in the mornings!!! :lmao:

Needless to say it put things in perspective for the rest of us, who were getting down about the rain. At least we were dry in our own Gortex Bivvy's.

Poor bloke! :bluThinki

Phil

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I think the key to being comfortable in a bivvy bag is to go one season down on the rating than you would if you were in a tent, spent last night out in mine (terra nova discovery) with a one season down bag, plenty warm enough even in the rain (ggrrrr), a decent mat helps aswell (ultralite T rest).
But all in all there's a reason i've just bought a hammock, sleeping on the floor will only ever be so comfortable.
Keep an eye out for a lighty used bivi bag in the for sale section soon :rolleyes:

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
keep the bag and dont use down bags in a hammock unless you stick a kip mat under you - hammocks are generally comfy but a wee bit over rated as they can cause knee joint and back problems - not a good idea in winter as you cant keep your shelter warm due to the high tarp not keeping the wind out and bivvibags dont go very well with hammocks so keep your options open.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE