Footwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi,

Can anyone recommend footwear for someone that prefers good old leather against his feet? I can't get on with these synthetic linings which just make my feet hot and sweaty. They do not necessarily have to be walking boots, just a good sturdy pair that will take some punishment and will take a snake bite in long grass!

Cheers, Paul

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
most army boots are just leather with no unnecessary liners. british ones are good and come im a good range of sizes including widths. german boots are also good, extremely well made and a bit heavy if that bothers you but as far as i know dont do widths:(
the only thing to bare in mind with army boots is they only become comfy when they are worn in.

hope this helps
pete

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Army boots are good! the German ones really need to be broken in.. with blood :D

Doc Martens are also good, and have a good sole.

Some italian boot manufacturers still do all leather boots, as do some German manufacturers. Have a look at Han Wag or Asolo.

I've Just bought a pair of Hi-Tec V Lites, full leather, no membranes just leather treated with Ion Mask and vibram sole, I've always thought that HI-Tec were abit rubbish but I was pleasantly surprised, I find them really comfortable and very light weight, I got them for £60 in a sale but I think they are usually around £80.

Thanks Matthew, just had a look at these boots online http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/46869-product-v_lite_altitude_ultra_wpi-all.html

It mentions moisture wicking lining? Isn't that synthetic? I am after complete leather inside and out. I have had a pair of Scarpa's for the past 26 years! They fit like a glove and don't make my feet hot. I would stick with them but the leather is badly cracked and there is not much tread left!

Cheers, Paul

DSC03227600x450.jpg

Army boots are good! the German ones really need to be broken in.. with blood :D

Doc Martens are also good, and have a good sole.

Some italian boot manufacturers still do all leather boots, as do some German manufacturers. Have a look at Han Wag or Asolo.

Thanks for the information, I am just looking at their sites now. I never thought of Doc Martens. I used to wear there boots to school years ago! Very comfortable though and hard wearing.

Cheers, Paul

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Army boots all the way, wool "commando" socks in em and after breaking in its like walking on freshly laundered kittens. (to quote Calibanzwei)

seriously i run with the british army assault boots bought supergrade and broke em in and he runs with German Para boots again supergrade and broken in, i may switch to these myself as they have better ankle support then the standard british ones although its hard to find em in size 12 as germans generally come in small sizes except in the movies!

all leather, easy to maintain, waterproof if kept well polished and will do you for as many miles as your legs will hold out ;)
pete

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I know exactly what you mean about synthetic linings. Presumably they're used because they're cheap; certainly I've never found them durable or comfortable.

Not speaking from personal experience, but I've heard that Rogue boots (several suppliers on-line, including Raymears.com) are very good and do not have a synthetic lining. They seem to be very much a traditional style boot and prices don't look too bad.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
personally i have found the doc martens to have very little grip especially on wet grass it's like walking on ice with them, british army assault boots are all leather both inside and out with no foam padding so dry quick and they come in three width sizes S/M/L, could you not replace your favourite scarpas with another new pair or are they no longer available, altberg is a good quality boot making both civilian and military versions and even do a personal fitting if needed, by synthetic making feet feel sweaty do you mean waterproof-lined ones or all synthetic boots, i ask beacause most leather walking boots also now have a waterproof lining such as gore-tex, i dislike goretex because they make for sweaty feet and if the boots do get wet inside they take ages to dry out on the inside especially if there is lots of foam padding as well, it seems harder to get non gore-tex lined boots whether leather or synthetic sadly especially when taking into acount the fit of a boot as well.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hi,

Can anyone recommend footwear for someone that prefers good old leather against his feet? I can't get on with these synthetic linings which just make my feet hot and sweaty. They do not necessarily have to be walking boots, just a good sturdy pair that will take some punishment and will take a snake bite in long grass!

Cheers, Paul

paul try lundhags i use them i`ve been using them for 25years now very very good make good old fashioned materials,and methods of keeping them in good nick,try taramack out doors,well tasty and you will not look back,

Hi guys and thanks for all this information!

You have got me started now. The reason I stick with my Scarpas is because I can't find anything similar made these days. As you have quite rightly mentioned Joonsy, even boots that profess to be leather lined have some sort of synthetic inner lining between the inner and outer layers of leather. Whether this is gortex or some "memory" gel foam whatever, they all make my feet sweat.

I can remember when I was 18 reading books by John Merrill and his descriptions of breaking in a pair of Scarpa Bronzos. He swore by them but required several hundred miles of breaking in. They were well out of my price range then at £50, so went for a cheaper version which have proved to be just as hard wearing. I cannot imagine how many miles I have done in these.

I just don't think you can buy boots like that anymore which is a great shame as I have heard many harp on about the good old days of a proper leather lined boot. I think I am going to go with the British army boot described. The amazing thing is I worked with the army as a civi in Germany for 9 years up until April 2008 and it never crossed my mind to go and sweet talk the quarter master!

Cheers,

Paul

paul try lundhags i use them i`ve been using them for 25years now very very good make good old fashioned materials,and methods of keeping them in good nick,try taramack out doors,well tasty and you will not look back,

I must admit I like the look of the Lundhags Parks http://shop.lundhags.se/images/prodimages/400/1040145.jpg although a bit pricey at 200 EURO. Do you know what their last widths are like? I forgot to mention the other issue I have is very wide feet!

Cheers, Paul

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I must admit I like the look of the Lundhags Parks http://shop.lundhags.se/images/prodimages/400/1040145.jpg although a bit pricey at 200 EURO. Do you know what their last widths are like? I forgot to mention the other issue I have is very wide feet!

Cheers, Paul

I HAVE THE SAME PROB AND NO PROBS,yes a bit pricey but well worth the off the peg comfort excellent control on steep ground,warm when hanging around etc etc,try you will buy.p.s what size feet are you

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Reading this with interest Paul,looking to back my German para boots up with a bigger size ( for more socks!) for arctic travel. I have used a lot of expensive boots but for the money,if you can get a good pair (any ideas folks!?) they are great boots for the money!
My best.
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE