Footwear - What Do You Wear When Out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Winter; mukluks if on snowshoes, Nokian lined wellies or Skråmträskskon felt boots if on skis (or my sami fur boots),
Fall and spring: wellies with plenty of wool socks (2 pairs)
Summer: wellies, sandals, 5-fingers, barefoot, moccains

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
since christmas on dartmoor and the breacons been wearing tf gear extreme boots as warm,waterproof and extremly comfortable, warmer drier climbs my meindl softline top gtx in leather.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I myself wear Brasher GTX and Berghaus extreme gaiters when its really bad going. When I was in the mob I had a pair of Danner Arcadia which were the best boots I have ever owned. I had promised them to a pal when I left the army.(Big Mistake) They cost a small fortune now so I aint going to get any soon.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
In winter I wear my 15 year old Salomon winter boots which still look as good as new despite the torture I've put them through.

In wet weather it's a pair of surplus Swedish army boots, comfy and lightweight.

Dry summer walking & everyday wear is a pair of lightweight Karrimor walking boots.

If I'm camped out with the family and doing a bit of tracking practice/wildlife watching with the kids, I tend to wear split toed tabis (similar to the ones below). They're great for not making much noise although a bit curious looking

Takesyo%20Zipper%20Black-cover.png

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
In winter I wear my 15 year old Salomon winter boots which still look as good as new despite the torture I've put them through.

In wet weather it's a pair of surplus Swedish army boots, comfy and lightweight.

Dry summer walking & everyday wear is a pair of lightweight Karrimor walking boots.

If I'm camped out with the family and doing a bit of tracking practice/wildlife watching with the kids, I tend to wear split toed tabis (similar to the ones below). They're great for not making much noise although a bit curious looking

Takesyo%20Zipper%20Black-cover.png

iv heard they are extremely common in japan for working men as they afford good grip. im a fan on barefoot orientated shoes and have a pair of knock-off vibram five giners which are great. they certainly look interesting. if they were leather i would consider a pair

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Syncline GTX Boots

ALRA_05D_0.jpg

Must have around 700 miles on these boots by now and they're still waterproof and still supportive.
Bit on the heavy side, but because of the rocky terrain here i've not found anything else that's as comfortable, light and to be as supportive.

They're THAT good i've just ordered another pair exactly the same.

Cheers
Mark

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Meindl Dovre Extreme with Mountain Range Gaiters for the hill, Le Chameau wellies for low ground/dog walking, KSB 'approach' shoes for everything else.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
iv heard they are extremely common in japan for working men as they afford good grip. im a fan on barefoot orientated shoes and have a pair of knock-off vibram five giners which are great. they certainly look interesting. if they were leather i would consider a pair

They're heavy canvas rather than leather (although it's possible they may be available in other fabrics).

Not great for really wet (or cold) weather but the provide great traction and amazing sensitivity as well as stealth when trying to observe wildlife. They're fantastic for tree climbing too (just remember not to jump down afterwards 'cos they have no shock absorption whatsoever).

I might try treating mine with waterproofing though (it's never occurred to me to try this believe it or not).

They are devilishly comfortable though although the split toe can be disconcerting at first. I've been wearing tabis for years and would wear them every day if people would just stop staring at me and asking silly questions when they see me wearing them... :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
They're heavy canvas rather than leather (although it's possible they may be available in other fabrics).

Not great for really wet (or cold) weather but the provide great traction and amazing sensitivity as well as stealth when trying to observe wildlife. They're fantastic for tree climbing too (just remember not to jump down afterwards 'cos they have no shock absorption whatsoever).

I might try treating mine with waterproofing though (it's never occurred to me to try this believe it or not).

They are devilishly comfortable though although the split toe can be disconcerting at first. I've been wearing tabis for years and would wear them every day if people would just stop staring at me and asking silly questions when they see me wearing them... :)

Never seen these tabis. Can you get them in the UK?

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Altberg P1's or Scarpa Mantas(old type) if the weathers a bit rubbish.

North Face trail shoes or Mendl Desert fox (cost washers from a local surplus shop) in the the warm/dry.

Chris

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Hanwag Tatra GTX all year round, Tevas in summer and light Salomon Hiking shoes when mountainbiking.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i wear a pair of dickies pull on steel toacap workboot. when im going to be doing a bit of walking, i've got some timberland chocoro trail boots. if im hunting i wear soft, worn trainers. i don't care if i meet get wet, i need to be able to feel the ground beneath me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE