Footwear - What Do You Wear When Out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
Alright lads,

Just wondering what people wear when out in the field, I have a quality pair of British Army Issue Lowa's, cold weather boots got them at the bargain price of £50 new on ebay, I highly recommend 'em!

Danny

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
German para boots............................I was very pleased to have them today as it was -2 with a bone splintering North Easterly making it -7 with the wind chill factor,...my feet were the only really warm part of me today & just with ordinary socks too......I 'll have to revise my cold weather clothing though ;)

Thought I'd take this opportunity to try to upload my first ever photo on this forum,...
2008_1012GARYY0008.jpg
[/IMG]

The photo was taken in 2008 & this particular pair have now gone into semi-retirement.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I wore my Baffin Evolution (Arctic boots) today in -5c. Okay it wasn't -40c but I was stationary for 2 hours and my feet were toasty. I did a strenuous short walk and my feet were on fire. On taking them off my feet weren't even damp. Brilliant! Normally just wear walking boots.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Winter months are muckboot spey camo or canadian army snow boots
Autumn/Spring/Summer Brasher walking boots
Muddy weather are le chasseur leather lined which are comfy enough to walk all day long in, they don't feel like wellies on your feet!!
Summer camping round the camp fire are crocs copies

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I wear Keens. They have a nice wide foot with a lot of room for toes. I currently have 2 pairs - Alaska Boot for winter and Siskiyou WP Mid for the rest of the year.

Need to get some wellies soon! :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I like Merrells in the Summer, along with Rogue boots for seriously dry savannah scrub and UK herping. In the Winter here and for rainforests, I wear Magnums.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well it's the cold months now with snow in the hills so I switched to my winter wear late September. These are inov8 roclite 318GTX fell shoes but I've found they are a bit too heavy and clunky so next winter think i might go for roclite 285GTX instead as lighter (33g lighter per foot). They are GTX lined but I still wear sealskins with liner socks of either Superwool's thickest socks or Bridgedales thickest socks inside them. After I had a lethal session coming off the hills in my 4 season boots (lasportiva glacier eve B2 boots) I tried my fell shoes the very next week. It was a different walk but came down the same bit. Those wre highlanders by montrai (the grippiest footwear I have ever known on compacted snow and ice but no longer made unfortunately). I could run down the same bridleway that had me gingerly crawling down thee week before. My feet were actually warmer than in my 4 season boots too!!!!

Since fell shoes don't last long with me I will actually have to replace them about the time the weather gets better so I'll probably get unline fell shoes in the spring. Possibly some mudclaws or lighter roclites from inov8.

Now, I know I probably sound like a crank compared to those wearing nice supportive, boots (heavy too). I mean you need a nice high cuff for support on tough terrain don't you?!!! However as an experienced hillwalker and someone who has spent a rather lot of time out in the hills over the last 10 years plus I have learnt that not all the received wisdom is correct. Or at least for me. I had ankles that were always turning in boots and I was always having to take a few weeks off walking due to some sprain. I tried fell shoes and whilst I still turned my ankle I found I was able to catch my fall sooner and without a cuff it caused less damage. Eventually I strengthend my ankle and improved my agility due to thee lighter fell shoes and now rarely turn an ankle. I never get injuries to my ankle and I get less tired on longer walks.

Anyway sermon over.

That is walking footwear only. I wear berghaus prognosis trail shoes about town and campsites and even meals out. In fact apart from office shoes I only ever wear them or my fell shoes. bit geeky I guess like that but if something is comfortable and works for you then why not??

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For just about everything, anywhere, I wear Lundhags or, more recently, Jornkangans. If it's dry and sunny, then I slip on the five tennies or sometimes Altberg jungle boots.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been wearing a pair of Berghaus Explorer Trek GTX boots for a few months and love them, theyre the first pair of expensive boots (over £70) I've had and theyve been worth it, comfortable from the first wear and didnt need any breaking in so no blisters or hot spots. For sitting round the fire I tend to wear a pair of crocs rip offs, as I like to let my feet dry and warm by the fire or if its too cold I'll wear a pair of Rohan trainers, a bargain from TK Maxx.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
For the colder months it's my old faithful friends, a pair of Sorel Bighorn pac boots, 15 years old now, showing signs of wear so they will need to be replaced in the near future. The rest of the year it will be walking boots of some description, depending on weather/terrain etc; or it's a pair of Zamberlan Goretex trainers/approach shoes. I have been very pleased with Zamberlans for some time now as they have lasted way longer than any other makes I've had over the years and are very supportive.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Best all-rounder for my money are the Bison Bushcraft summer boots. I wear them all year round - thicker socks in the winter - when I'm not in my five fingers, that is.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No point in wearing boots if your not hiking daily so I wear a pair of wellies in wet weather, KSB trainers in drier weather and a pair of crocs in warm weather.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A pair of thirteen year old Clarks all-terrain sandals for much of the year, otherwise Meindl's, either Borneos or Perfekts depending on the weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE