Footwear that will last?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Hey guys, the time has come for some new footwear and I'm the kinda chap that likes to buy something and not have to worry about that bit of kit again for a while, the more I spend, the more time I expect until I have to replace. (..beware, I do rant a bit here)

That being said, it definitely is not always the case. I once paid £140 for a pair of boots called 'Earthkeepers', won't say the company's name but let's just say it starts with a T and ends in 'land' :D... they're fat enough they can take it. Anyway, they were supposed to be great for hiking (so also walking around in the woods you'd assume) and not only are they great boots but you're helping save the planet if you buy them (for whatever likely fabricated reason that I can't remember) ...seems like a good deal, a lot more money than I'd usually spend on footwear but hey they're bound to last. Sold. Around 5 months later and after not only NOT hiking or doing anything even remotely strenuous to them, just walking around an urban environment, these boots were literally falling off my feet in pieces. Earth not kept 'cause now there's wasted money, wasted materials and I need new boots! New footwear was needed but I had spent all my budget so I got myself a discounted pair of DeWalt boots for £45 (discounted 'cause nobody wanted them) and now over 4 YEARS later!! (after Brecon Beacons, Caerphilly mountain, fishing trips, boat trips, Spain and back a few times AND daily urban environment) only now am I here asking you all for recommendations on some good new boots.

I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions on who makes better footwear between the 2 companies named above but I used to buy Caterpillars and yes they last longer than 5 months but still not long enough for what you pay for them.. or not in my eyes anyway. Basically, I am here to ask what you all think are the ultimate long lasting and tough as old boots boots on the market? I've had recommendations from friends across the pond in Seattle that Red Wings and Carolina both make good loggers that last 10 years + and also to check out Alden for their Indy boot (same ones Indiana Jones wears) but those are crazy expensive and all 3 names seem to be hard to find in the UK.

So here I am wondering what all our local Bushmen have to say on the matter. Looking for recommendations, rants like mine about terrible boots or great boots that you can't say enough good things about. Any opinion is good info. Thanks in advance to all who respond and peace be upon you all.

Last edited:

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
I have a pair 9f mammut mid height suede boots. I forget the model. Less than £100 i brought them 18 months ago. The front section has stitched on each boot about an inch but they're still waterproof. And have worn them every single day. Mostly all day. Ill still with them a while now. What more can i ask for? Ray

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I've heard DeWalt make some good boots :lmao:
My most bombproof ones ever were a pair of Salomon grey suede/cordura walking boots.
Bought in Switzerland (that made my eyes water!) at a premium price but they lasted over 7 years.
Snowshoeing, walking, cragging, driving, and generally wearing for work and poor weather urban.
I'm 6'5" 16 1/2 stone and pretty hard on my boots.I'd recommend them no problem.
Cheers , Simon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I like cats for every day use and have been wearing them for the past 5 years or so. Not the same pair of-course but i do get about 12-18 months use out of them.
Not bad considering i use them for work as well as leisure. If you shop around you can get them pretty cheap, last pair I paid about £70 for. Not bad for 18 months use these days. I just cant see many boots lasting years and years without being way overbuilt and uncomfortable. Without sole replacement etc.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I've had my Lowa Mountain boots for 9 years, they now need to be re soled but that costs £50 , well worth the initial expense, without doubt the most comfortable things I e eve had on my feet. If you don't like black they now come in brown leather for the new army contract and also a green/sepia nubuck version.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
" I liked them so much I bought the company " :D

2012_0602tracks0067.jpg

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I wore my great grandfathers LL Bean Maine hunting boots that date from the 1930's for some time before buying a pair of my own. Buy them a size big and get the goretex liners though. That or wear them with big wool socks.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Lowas!

I wear their Recce boots everyday for work, and use them at the weekends for walking/outdoorsy stuff. They are by far the most comfortable well made boots ive ever had.......and i have had Meindl, Cat, Timberland, Altberg, Salomon and British Army Combat Boots.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a pair of brown leather civvy Lowas which I had to retire last spring after nearly ten years of good use.

Goretex lined but they never leaked once until they started wetting from the bottom up, that's when I ditched them. They were light for a full leather boot and I hardly knew I had them on once they were bedded in. Unfortunately the vibram sole was a one off moulded jobby so could never be replaced.

I bought Lundhag Rangers after those and they've been superb too, not quite as comfy yet but they're getting there. I also bought a pair of Scarpa ZG10 for winter hill walking, a bit heavier but again very good.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive had a pair of Lowas for ten years, the leather began to split early on, across the top, where your toes bend, but Ive had them resoled twice and they are still waterproof. Great boots. Just got hold of some brown Danner Pronghorns, leather and cordura, which are a bit higher than the Lowas but very comfy. Also got some Rok Wellies in the sale here. Can Recommend these for the money. And some Inov8 terroc, which I dont get along with at all, heel keeps slipping out, dont fit, and am gonna have to try to swap or sell. Got a couple of pars of Hi tec Owaka sandals in the sale at Millets. Tenner a pair! Chris Townsend had a pair on the TGO. And of course, a couple of pairs of Crocs.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ive had a pair of Lowas for ten years, the leather began to split early on, across the top, where your toes bend, but Ive had them resoled twice and they are still waterproof. Great boots. Just got hold of some brown Danner Pronghorns, leather and cordura, which are a bit higher than the Lowas but very comfy. Also got some Rok Wellies in the sale here. Can Recommend these for the money. And some Inov8 terroc, which I dont get along with at all, heel keeps slipping out, dont fit, and am gonna have to try to swap or sell. Got a couple of pars of Hi tec Owaka sandals in the sale at Millets. Tenner a pair! Chris Townsend had a pair on the TGO. And of course, a couple of pairs of Crocs.

I found the same with the Terrocs Dave, I went for a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3s for the TGO and they were superb

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far guys, much appreciated. I'm definitely liking the looks and sounds of these Gronell Massifs (thanks geordienemesis *thumbs up*) and as for Dr. Martens.. Bardster do you currently own some Docs and if so are they looking like you might need to use that warranty any time soon or do they hold up well? I'm just thinking if one day you need new boots and need to use the warranty but can't for any number of reasons... would rather have boots that hold up than a constant supply of new ones but if they hold up AND have that warranty then we have a winner lol.

Last edited:

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
I wore my great grandfathers LL Bean Maine hunting boots that date from the 1930's for some time before buying a pair of my own. Buy them a size big and get the goretex liners though. That or wear them with big wool socks.

Thanks for the response Llwyd, how do the modern replacements measure up to the good old originals? From what I see here in my little Google search it looks like they have changed the design a bit... and we all know 'they just don't make 'em like they used to' right?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far guys, much appreciated. I'm definitely liking the looks and sounds of these Gronell Massifs (thanks geordienemesis *thumbs up*) and as for Dr. Martens.. Bardster do you currently own some Docs and if so are they looking like you might need to use that warranty any time soon or do they hold up well? I'm just thinking if one day you need new boots and need to use the warranty but can't for any number of reasons... would rather have boots that hold up than a constant supply of new ones but if they hold up AND have that warranty then we have a winner lol.
I dont have the docs for life, but i do have three pairs of docs, a suede pair that i have had for two years, summer use, an original pair that i have had for over ten years, occasional use only - shiney best, and more recently a rico brown pair with the softer leather. all are comfey and all have had no problems quality wise. there were some complaints about quality when they moved manufacture overseas, but i havnt seen any signs of it, and for those that it concerns the now make a "made in the uk" range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE