Footwear that will last?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
These are great looking boots. Would they make out as good hiking boots, on some rough "technical" terrain & be comfortable when carrying upto 30lbs day after day? They look like they would, however, I have never seen anything like these in any outdoor/hiking equipment shop.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

If you are speaking of the Shepherd boots in the other guy's post, you'd better ask him!

I have only recently got the brand new pair of Ammo Boots. They are heavy but surprisingly comfortable. As for making a good walking boot, the William Lennon's might well, but they will need a fair bit of breaking in first. They are SOLID!

They also do a proper hobnail boot which was the almost standard walking boot many years ago.

Ask me again in a couple of years about the comfort!

Gareth

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Hanwag Grunten. norwegian welted all leather, leather lined no Gore tex that will stop working in a couple of years. Threat them now and then with shoe wax and they will last you 15 years. When the sole is finished, just replace it.

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I always vote for Lowas personally. The lowa mountains are great for me and they really last.

I had a bad experience with a very expensive set of Hanwags last year when the locking lace eyelet simply popped out of the leather whilst lacing them up. It was probably a one off though.

That Redwing company looks good, but how do they manage to produce so many different product lines!? Is is weird that I like these?

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/88875-red-wing-shoes/88875-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Smogz

My 899s arrived last week and they are superb. Buy 1/2 size smaller though. I'll put a leather insole in to make them perfect.

My Iron Rangers are the most comfortable boots I own, and I have Irish Setter boots too, pretty good but the Red Wing are better.

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Dougster

I agree, my Iron Rangers are very comfortable, but the sole is completely blank and one of them weighs as much as two Hanwag Grüntens. I see that the Red Wing 899 have a real outdoor sole, but are they as heavy as the Iron Rangers? Are they one layer leather?

My Grüntens arrived last week and I have only walked short distances. My impressions so fare are that it is a great shoe. Nice role in the sole, great build, wide enough for my duck feet, light and surprisingly good grip on snow (the sole on my old Meindls was hard as a hockey puck and as slippery). Of course they are still stiff , but no problem with chafing so far.

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I bought a pair of Scarpa SL M3 boots years ago. They are the toughest boots I have ever come across. A bit heavy for running, but, in terms of waterproofness & durability, they **** all over my Lowa Patrol boots (which are awesome for tabbing). I've covered so many miles in them, including walking 1000 miles on a pilgrimage to Santiago (starting at Le Puy) and they're still going strong. In fact I'd say they're only just broken in ;) The new model has possibly lost it's way a bit (I suspect "Memory Foam ankle padding" etc will be destroyed within the first 100 miles) and they've gone a bit over the top with the new price scheme, though Cotswolds are doing 15% off this month (March 2013) with their free Explore More card + a further 10% off with HM Forces discount (Probably something similar for scouts/cadets etc. too) http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...oducts.detail/code/31110040/group/150/level/3

Feb 23, 2013
Wales
danner.jpg

I was over the moon to get these lightly worn from a guy on ebay.fr for around a third of the uk RRP (£320!!!). Danner Mountain Light Made in USA with Vibram sole.

I've also got Redwing 875, 8181, 8131 and 8130 boots for everyday use, all brilliant everyday boots but the Vibram traction sole is useless on anything but on dry concrete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE