food to reduce blood pressure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Evening folks,

had my blood pressure taken today and was a bit shocked to find it was pretty high, i haven't been to a doctors is some 20 years + and i'd like to keep it that way ( i know i may have to go eventually )

is there any foods that i could use as part of my diet that would reduce blood pressure ? i'd like to try this before i go to the Doc's and get pills etc.

any pointers would be great.

thanks guys

Robbi

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Cut out high fat foods and salt and eat lots of fresh fruit and veg .

The doctor will tell you to stop drinking .

You could always get out of the building trade !

Craig............

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
:) believe me, if i could get out of the building trade, i'd do it in a shot !!

what about things like porridge, isn't that meant to lower blood pressure or something ?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I had the same good news after avoiding the GP for over ten years. Cut out the drink and BP has dropped from astronomical to normal in a couple of months and although I'd have been classed as a social drinker where you are, I am a toddler compared to many.
I also feel the world better.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
If i could make the same money doing something other than joinery i would be tempted as long as it was nowhere near an office !

Yes i think porridge is a good one , basically anything high in fibre and low in fat .

Craig.......

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Robbi mate,...

i,m on the same trip at the minute,...

obviously no symptons,....but a routine check and boom!

i,m 17 stone,. and 6'1'' BMI is a bit high but i have always trained heavy and competed in a few bbing seasons a couple of years back so BMI means nothing at all,...

anyway,...i had a 24 hour monitor on and my readings were 140 over 100,...arrrgh

i have a pretty stressful job too,....the doc gave me one med and i didnt get on with it ,....

so i went and they sorted out a different one, and now my BP is nicely placed in the high end of normal,,,,

they dont call it the silent killer for nowt mate,....

talk to the doc,..ask him what kinda sides you can expect and tell him what you do for a living,...but i would consider the meds mate, seriously..(just keep an eye on the effects)

but this wasnt your question i suppose ,...so...

some foods and supps can help,...i recall Hawthorn from holland and barrett was on my list of stuff my coach gave me,

but really, take salt out of the diet, a bit of pre-breakfast CV work (if you can work it in) and drop the rollies,....(hahahaha)

hahahahaha i,m not preaching ,. and its all stuff you already know i spose,..,..but we dont want you pegging out early dude,...

Stu

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
porridge is good, helps reduce cholestorol and is a good carb source with a good GI ,...

so in effect this will keep your blood sugar stable, and with it your hunger which in turn will keep you from snacking so maybe a round about effect on BP is benificial..

Chastiser

Need to contact Admin...
i would say whatever you choose, have it with rice as its apparently the only neutral food. its given to pepes when allergies are suspected and somone i know who was diagnosed with suspected cancer had it put heavily on their diet.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
brown rice?

yeah i heard the same thing about porridge only recently.

along with whats been suggested salt, alcohol, sugar, caffeine etc. what about soe excercise and a spot of meditation/ yoga? the breathing exercises are where its at to reduce stress and the like. so i hear.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
My mum has had very high blood pressure for years , she is on a couple of drugs for it but she still enjoys the foods that she likes but in moderation .

So you can have a drink a smoke and a bacon butty but everything in moderation !

Life would be so boring if you had to be good all the time !

Craig.............

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have high bp ( 160/104) and thats on meds!). I have never smoked, hardly drink ( say five pints a month) only drink decaff, eat porrage for breakfast.
So sometimes its your lot in life. My dad had low bp but lots of allergies. My mum had high bp and no allergies.
I have both!
such is life. worrying about it will only make it worse!
Alan

rancid badger

Cut the salt-dead! stop eating crisps and adding salt to your food.

Tomorrow; make an appointment with your local doctors surgery and get a proper, full health check done.

If your blood pressure is up, there's a reason for it and you need to identify what it is, then sort it out from there. Avoiding seeking professional medical advice is really not a good idea.

The likelihood, is that its simply dietary/lifestyle related but it could potentially be something much more sinister and your not seeing a doctor for 20 years + is not necessarily a good thing.

There are loads of foods that can help but you need to id the cause of the raised BP first.

sincere best wishes

R.B.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Fair point RB and good advice, wifey is making me an appointment in the morning. Got a bit of a scare today i can tell you.

( PS life style and a very high stress job that i don't want to be in would do it ! )

I had 145/100+ blood pressure last September. I bought a bp monitor to keep tabs on what was going on as I experimented with various substances in order to lower it. I added potassium to my diet in the form of salt substitute and it dropped to 125/90. I added 2g calcium/1g magnesium and it fell to 115/70. I tried a number of other things like herbs, aspirin, chocolate and other supplements but the calcium and potassium made all the difference for me. You should definitely try reducing salt intake, but honestly, I didn't use that much and still had a problem.

Whatever you decide to do, get a blood pressure monitor and keep tabs of what's going on at different times of the day. You might be swallowing supplements by the bucket load and never knowing if they're doing good or ill if you don't have a monitor to check.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE