Food shortage again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I struggled to get hold of coconut milk late last week, but managed to get some Monday.
Phew.
I had ordered mango pulp (Kesar) but had left it open for substitution in case they had another variety.....Two tins of coconut milk arrived instead :rolleyes: :

In what way is coconut like sweet fruit :dunno:
Besides, I loathe coconut. I bake with it for others, but if it was all there was to eat, I'd rather go hungry.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mushy peas are also a very versatile tinned veg - just treat them as a dahl. Chopped fried onion, spices to your taste and add the dahl, sorry, peas. There are loads of dahl recipes you can try them with.

No shortages here yet though we have been making an effort recently to eat 'in season' veg to reduce our contribution to food-miles.

Reactions: billycoen and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had ordered mango pulp (Kesar) but had left it open for substitution in case they had another variety.....Two tins of coconut milk arrived instead :roll:

Besides, I loathe coconut. I bake with it for others, but if it was all there was to eat, I'd rather go hungry.

We had one delivery that substituted ground coffee with whole bean coffee - maybe a sensible substitution but I don't have a grinder :(

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I had ordered mango pulp (Kesar) but had left it open for substitution in case they had another variety.....Two tins of coconut milk arrived instead :rolleyes: :

i quite like using it (the light version) in curry dishes - red lentil curry, that sort of thing, i dont use it for anything else lol and i dont like actual coconut flesh, or bounty bars

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I didn't look all that hard since my local Tesco did a HUGE re-organise a couple of months ago and I wouldn't know where they would put choc-eggs now, but I didn't see any when I shopped last week. No loss, I bought chocolate bars for the people I wanted to give chocolate to, better choc at a cheaper price than the over-packaged stuff blown into egg shaped moulds.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Every time somebody cries that the sky is falling, it turns out that away down in the supply chain, there's some kind of a knot.

Big rumor across the United States claiming that people were hoarding ammunition. So Field & Stream put on their big boots and went looking for answers. It turns out that the knot is with the bullet makers. They can't get the copper they want. They can't get the lead that they want.

OTOH, there is a local ethnic group who think nothing of clearing out our one and only village grocery store for staples like flour. Too cheap to take a truck into the city and buy a truckload.

So far for groceries, I'm doing OK. A few items of wishful thinking never seem to turn up, I can live with that.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Easter eggs? Is it Easter already? Doesn't time fly.! :)
This time last year we were just entering a lockdown, and now we are just about to come out of lockdown.
I bought myself 3 large bars of chocolate, only £3 and I got more than double the amount of chocolate that you get in an egg of the same price.
I'm having a chocolate pig out ! But then I am rather partial to the stuff. It might last me two days if I'm lucky!

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not a 'prepper' per se, but I do keep a well plenished pantry. I always have done, and I add to it seasonally.
On the whole, despite this interminable drag of a year, we've been very lucky. The only problem I had was getting hold of gluten free flour, but eventually Dove's Farm decided they'd sell 16kg catering packs, and an assortment box of staples. Sorted :D
It had gotten beyond a tad ridiculous. A kg bag normally costs me around £1.70......on eBay, I jest you not, folks were selling those bags for six or seven times that price.

Anyhow, so far we've been fortunate with supplies, and I found new online suppliers for things like the nuts and seeds I buy, as well as absolutely brilliant crystallised ginger :)
Also found decent online supplier of sprouting seeds too.

Good chocolate's a pleasure :) Sainsbury's had Lindt eggs reduced :D

Reactions: santaman2000

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think you will find most Easter Eggs reduced this year, if not in price, in size and weight. Most things seem to be getting smaller, I,m off to Specsavers.

Reactions: Toddy

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Over here the pandemic threw a big monkeywrench in the supply chain. When restaurants closed a whole lot of food processed for that market was unsuitable for most retailers except the bulk chains.
Meat processors also rather callously pushed their immigrant workforce to even faster processing times without any protective gear or protocols and many died. Same thing in the factory farms. For a while nobody was buying livestock except the massive factory pig farms owned by China and largely for that market. The livestock industry slaughtered most of our herds without a market. discontinued cuts of meat are just now getting back on the shelves with increased prices. With other global factors food will become ever more dear.
I'm not a prepper, and for ethical and health reasons cut back on my meat and fish consumption anyway. My stimulus cheque is FINALLY coming on the seventh. I have a Carinthia Finnish M 05 bag #1on my shopping list.
# 2 I am 'prepping for the future' using G.K. Chesterton's purest form of vegetarianism; 6 bottles of Lagavulin 16 year. few cases of digestives from my Indian grocer and I'm good for awhile.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE