Food shortage again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As you said supermarkets are very good at logistics - at ordinary times - not quite so when things are out of the ordinary. But they tend to be still better than government because individuals at commercial operations tend to be better at improvising and often have more room to do so.

Of course when the customs say: "this shall not pass" even the gods are stymied.

But as said their view point is all commercial, not your well being.

I think you missed my point. The supermarkets are very good at still getting stock when things go amiss. Everything else closed and inoperable ? the supermarkets are open though.

I know, I live in the central belt of a singularly urbanised nation, and within twenty minutes walk of my home there are M&S, Lidl's, Tesco, Co-op, Morrison's, Sainsbury's, two Asda stores, B&M's, Home Bargains, Iceland, Farmfoods, Aldi, but it is really noticeable, that all of them managed to be open, and all of the major ones managed to organise home deliveries too.

I think in this scenario then commercial equals food on the shelves and available to buy.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
think in this scenario then commercial equals food on the shelves and available to buy.
Agreed, with the limitations of general availability. Logistics wise we are here in Finland an island nation with longer sea transit routes than UK.
The supermarkets are very good at still getting stock when things go amiss.
I think Finalnd is the largest soft paper manufacturer in Europe or maybe second but during the first rush several markets managed to run out of all kinds of tissue paper.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I got caught red handed in Tesco's today. I was caught trying to buy 4 bags of flour! Apparently you're limited to 3 bags again. It's a bit daft as we make our own bread, cakes etc as we'll use far more than 3 bags over the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Dougster

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be practical and buy catering packs instead. There was a shortage of domestic sized packs but none of catering sized ones.

I buy Gluten free from Doves Farm, and the sell a huge variety of flours, not just GF.
Really pleased with their service, and their produce.

A normal 1kg bag of GF bread flour costs me around £1.80 in the supermarkets. During the 'shortages' chancers were putting those bags up on eBay for nearly thirty pounds each. Utterly ridiculous.
Dove's Farm delivered me a 16kg sack next day, for just under £30.

£16.60 just now on their website for 16kgs of organic bread flour.

M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We have bought direct in the past, and used to by sacks from Suma and Doves but at this time of year I don't want to risk a sack of flour through the delivery systems. They are good round here but we have had damaged bags in the past. (We used to get the Suma delivery lorry to deliver a pallet of stuff every few months but they come anywhere near where we now live).

It's not of any concern as I had stocked up previously so have a few months supply. But again, another reason for some to stock up when you can as not everyone goes shopping every week.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My last sack came in the double heavyweight paper bag inside a polybag inside a cardboard box.
It was a tad like undoing a Russian Doll to get into it :)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Be practical and buy catering packs instead. There was a shortage of domestic sized packs but none of catering sized ones.

I buy Gluten free from Doves Farm, and the sell a huge variety of flours, not just GF.
Really pleased with their service, and their produce.

A normal 1kg bag of GF bread flour costs me around £1.80 in the supermarkets. During the 'shortages' chancers were putting those bags up on eBay for nearly thirty pounds each. Utterly ridiculous.
Dove's Farm delivered me a 16kg sack next day, for just under £30.

£16.60 just now on their website for 16kgs of organic bread flour.

M
I tried them in the spring but their shop was overwhelmed, so couldn't order anything. Luckily the local butcher started carrying flour from a local mill. Quite a lot dearer, but made for nice rustic bread.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It took them about three weeks iirc, and then they set up to only sell a limited range, but it was a very practical limited range. They offered catering pack sizes of flour, a selection box of gluten free daily necessities, and one of mixed flours for breadmaking.

Very sensible I thought considering the situation and the circumstances they found themselves in.

For people who need gluten free it was a very great kindness especially when as soon as it did appear in the supermarkets folks picked it up just to sell it at massively hiked prices on eBay.
Kind of a market being held to ransom by a greedy few.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The UK food shortages are getting into news here. Just makes me wonder if they are real but admittedly running out of tea is kind of serious.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
A friend of mine just had his home delivery of Xmas veg from a well-known supermarket chain. Amongst the other veg it included just 2 sprouts, I assume one each for he and his wife
There is a thing about this on the Internet. One of the supermarkets does sprouts and mushrooms by qty, not weight or packs. There are photos of people with 1 sprout and 1 mushroom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE