Follow the sheeple or head for the hills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bug out or follow the sheeple?

• I'd go to where the police sent me.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • I'd grab my rucksack and go bushcrafting.

Votes: 104 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know I've been avoiding this thread because I really, really want to say, "Good discussion, but this site isn't the place for TEOTWAWKI and just *how* often do we need to repeat ourselves :banghead: "

Eric's opening query was for a short term emergency, even if he biased the outcome by the sheeple quote ;) and I now have a stack of requests to close this thread.....funny how the long rambling responses come from the avowed Survivalists :rolleyes: and very few of the 'please close' pm's do so.

Okay, for the umpteenth time.....can we please keep this thread on topic.....as per Eric's first intro query

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a (realistic) scenario. How would you react.

It's 2:30 in the morning. There's loud knocking on your door, it's the police. They tell you there's massive flooding expected and a reservoir a few miles up the valley is already overflowing. You have five minutes to evacuate. There are buses at the end of your street waiting to take you and your neighbours to the local school at the top of the hill.

Staying put at home is not an option.

It's been pouring down for days and everything is sodden. However, you are a bushcrafter and as all good bushcrafters, you have a half decent grab bag by the back door. You have the option to grab your rucsack which contains camping kit (tarp, hammock, stove, spare kit and 72hrs of MRE's) It's just you and your partner (no kids and no pets). You know of bushcrafty places within 10 miles and they are on high ground.

Which do you choose? Go on the bus and stay at a school with everyone else for goodness knows how long. Or take your kit an do your own thing even though it's the middle of the night. (It's summer in this scenario so it'll start getting light within two hours of the evacuation).

Personally, I'd head for the hills with my own grab bag.

Eric

_ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have found it interesing reading, yes it has gone way off topic but I think locking it would cause a dozen or so splinter threads! One thread about this type of thing is interesting and can lead into other discussions, and make people think. Nobody is forced to read or participate in the discussion and the subject is what turned a lot of people toward bushcraft, even if they have different ideas now. :rolleyes:
Most of us can't even decide what bushcraft actually is, so if threads get locked because of some peoples ideas of what it isn't, where will it stop?:confused:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn, if it bothers you that much why even click on the link? You obviously think we're nutters talking about such stuff. (Thinks: pot, kettle, black, there are probably more people in 'normal' society who'd think someone who dedicated themselves to collecting knives, and has even built a website where they are drooled and fawned over is the nutter) There's a reason I don't post over on BB. To me a knife is just a simple tool, there to do a job - end of! I don't glorify them, worship or praise them. I don't come onto BB and deride them and the people who choose to post there. Each to his own, different strokes and all that.

Eric

Eric, the mistake you are making with this argument, is assuming BcUK is a survivalists site. It isnt.

Agreed, if someone is not into making cutlery and they came to BB to lampoon it, it would be out of order, and equally if I went onto a survivalist site for the sole purpose of lampooning thier fantasies, I would also be out of order. But BcUK isnt a survivalists site. It is the survivalists who are bringing thier off-topic fantasies onto this forum and taring the rest of us with thier nonesense. The management have asked on several occasions for those into survivalism to leave the topic off this forum, ...regardless of thier attempts to legitimise it, the survivalists have been told it's off-topic in no uncertain terms. So I would ask, why are the survivalists so intent of inflicting thier madness on everyone else here?

There are common interests between the survuivalists and bushcrafters, those common interests we can all enjoy. Those common interests (survival techniques perhaps) are on topic, but survival-ism isnt! So why cant the survivalists just enjoy those topics that are common to all of us and leave the rest somewhere where it's welcome? I want to read about bushcraft, not loonies who believe the end of the world is nigh and are waiting with baited breath for the first sign of the apocalypse. If I want to read that, I'll go buy a novel or watch a film ...or join one of the many, many forums on the internet where such things are absolutely on topic.

Eric, survivalism is off topic for this forum, but if some people ignore that and insist on posting it anyway, then as far as I can see they are making themselves fair game to be lampooned ...and possibly moderated.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
burtgummer.jpg

Burt ...those steely eyes, ready for anything through gritted teeth, ...what a guy. :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Eric, the mistake you are making with this argument, is assuming BcUK is a survivalists site. It isnt.

Agreed, if someone is not into making cutlery and they came to BB to lampoon it, it would be out of order, and equally if I went onto a survivalist site for the sole purpose of lampooning thier fantasies, I would also be out of order. But BcUK isnt a survivalists site. It is the survivalists who are bringing thier off-topic fantasies onto this forum and taring the rest of us with thier nonesense. The management have asked on several occasions for those into survivalism to leave the topic off this forum, ...regardless of thier attempts to legitimise it, the survivalists have been told it's off-topic in no uncertain terms. So I would ask, why are the survivalists so intent of inflicting thier madness on everyone else here?

There are common interests between the survuivalists and bushcrafters, those common interests we can all enjoy. Those common interests (survival techniques perhaps) are on topic, but survival-ism isnt! So why cant the survivalists just enjoy those topics that are common to all of us and leave the rest somewhere where it's welcome? I want to read about bushcraft, not loonies who believe the end of the world is nigh and are waiting with baited breath for the first sign of the apocalypse. If I want to read that, I'll go buy a novel or watch a film ...or join one of the many, many forums on the internet where such things are absolutely on topic.

Eric, survivalism is off topic for this forum, but if some people ignore that and insist on posting it anyway, then as far as I can see they are making themselves fair game to be lampooned ...and possibly moderated.

Fair enough Martyn. I take your point. I'm going to leave this thread alone now. My original question has been answered many times over and I thank everyone for their input. There's no point in arguing any further over two diametrically opposing views.

Cheers everyone,

Eric

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
That's 4000 times the thread has been opened to look at (or even to make one of the 293 posts), not necessarilly 4000 different different people reading it. I must have opened it up at least 25-30 times myself, just to see what had been written now this time...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's 4000 times the thread has been opened to look at (or even to make one of the 293 posts), not necessarilly 4000 different different people reading it. I must have opened it up at least 25-30 times myself, just to see what had been written now this time...

Same here. It like looking at a fight in the street outside your house. Curtain twitching doesn't mean you like what you see.

Why do I need bulk buy bog rolls, when the very essence of bushcraft is what you do in bush?:joke:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I think it’s often true, that conflict produces more interest than being agreeable. I have a low appetite for contentious threads, though, that might not be immediately apparent from some of my posts on this thread. I find conflict consumes too much energy, that could be best spent otherwise.

Best regards,
Paul.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think the thread should continue to be enjoyed by those that wish to enjoy it and left alone by those that don't. It isn't harming the site in any way. As for off topic subjects, this isn't quite as off topic as some that crop up here and over on British Blades. Mystical Dwarf Judge fellow ring any bells? What the hell has that got to do with knives?!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE