Follow the sheeple or head for the hills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bug out or follow the sheeple?

• I'd go to where the police sent me.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • I'd grab my rucksack and go bushcrafting.

Votes: 104 86.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Human nature, eh? I dunno! It's still best to be prepared and see to your own first and foremost.

Eric
If the reports on Local TV are anything to go by people such as you describe are not as rare as I would have hope, (a 5% minority) they it seems abound. I’ve watched with horror as tales of vandalism and attacks on vital water supplies, of people deliberately polluting water with stolen bleach and human waste.
After they had taken three times their share, these people and I use the term loosely, as to me I think that they are barely worthy of the description, defiled the water, preventing others from using the only local source. My decision to head to the hills seems more and more the right on to make. Even in the best run camp, you have to sleep sometimes and with such people about, you are as likely wake up to the camp empty and all you gear and food stolen, as wake up with the camp rioting as they tried to take more than their share of the limited resources.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Green Man - In an indefinite survival situation, if you don't like the group you were with - if you were doing more than your share - you would "police it" by leaving - pretty simple really. I'm with Scoops though, bad manners, lack of tolerance etc. are a product of the modern cosseted society. Imagine a world where there is only one farmer and only one doctor.

I rather suspect that the farmer would be careful not to offend the doctor - he might need him one day. The doctor, if he wanted to eat, would also be polite to the farmer. Neither would be "sucking up" but would be showing one another courtesy and respecting the skills and ability of the other and, in their politeness, tacitly acknowledging their mutual dependence.

In such a world, the lazy and those lacking useful skills would not be tolerated for long by those who worked hard - as Scoops says, that measure of "self policing" would come into play. If by tolerating cr*p you mean you might have to be polite to those who you need to survive then yes, you would - in the same way they would have to tolerate yours. If their worth to you is sufficient, you will tolerate them, if not, you won't.

Equally of you course, you may be tolerated or others who have some item or skill you need may not wish to deal with you. That will depend on your own worth and how they feel about you.

For my part, we like to live as self supporting a lifestyle as we can. Partly because we prefer a simple life and feel little need of all the modern frippery, partly because it would be nice to walk more lightly on the earth and in a small part because I believe our current society is too dependent on technology, fossil fuels and endless, pointless consumption. We have long ago acknowledged, having practiced skills as diverse as vinegar making and wiring our own solar panels, that it simply isn't possible for one family to have all the skills to live even a nineteenth century lifestyle. So, whilst reducing our dependency on the outside world, we acknowledge that our comfort and health will always be, to some extent dependent on it. We also choose to engage with our chosen charities and causes.

Am we survivalists? Perhaps but if we are we are also bushcrafters, gardeners, ecologists, scientists, charity givers and workers, musician, artist, photographer, soap maker, woodworker, flower arrangers and 1,000 other things.

I see no reason to believe that a spiralling population that has moved from one billion to six billion in 100 years and is comsuming the planets resources faster and faster can end in any way other than a bad one. It might be a slow decline, or a quicker one. Bt it cannot continue as it is in an exponential growth of consumption from a decling amount of resource. Is that really sociopathic? Or is it something we all know to be true and its only the outcome that remains uncertain?

I am interested Paul in your views that others induce a vomit response in you or are badged as sociopath or psychopath. For something you acknowledge is a leisure activity - a harmless speculation about a non existent event is surely not worthy of such animosity? I don't agree with everyones approaches to this debating topic - but theirs are as relevant as mine - as they are in real life.

Red

Well, Eric’s original proposition was something like: if you had to move out of you home due to a temporary crisis would you rather share a communal space and cooperate with the local authorities, or would you rather use the time to utilise your hobby. Things have moved on a little since Eric’s amendments to the original proposal and the subsequent the arrival of Becky.

I objected to Becky’s methodology which involved categorising her imaginary impromptu companions, into socioeconomic grouping/IQ/ and cod-psychiatric diagnosis. The arrogance of this produced a strong reaction in me, and I expressed it.

I was simply astonished by the notion that ‘undesirables’ could be so easily addressed as giving them a ‘good talking to’. As if a sociopath gives a flying fu*k what anybody else thinks.

When faced with such circumstances and ‘undesirables’ I was curious just how one would actually deal with this type of person(s) without resorting to violence when polite conversation had failed to produce the desired result (their compliance). This is where this type of more extreme circumstance (that has been ramped-up since the original proposition) becomes less of a fun speculation. When it comes to real survival in a non-Toy Town situation - in which we all understand the wisdom of corporate management training and outdoor bonding/assessment weekends - and how everyone would conform to the ideas of our ‘superiors’ (read ‘natural’ leaders), or just plain common sense, I think many would be in for a surprise if one held to those 'rinky-dink' perceptions. Are you prepared to kill to protect precious resources? This may be the bottom line of any cataclysmic scenario, and what the forces of law and order are there for in extremis (and everday life). Are you or anyone else prepared to step into that breech when the traditional forces is not there? This is what I’m trying to get at. And how easy could you live with yourself having crossed that line - taking another life is still one of the taboos, despite popular TV drama.

By the way, I never accused or suggested that anyone who had posted was a sociopath or psychopath. You have misunderstood me, Red.

The notion that anyone who is not useful, is of no worth, is repellent (I won’t include the shirkers, as this is a given). No doubt, the useless in one’s immediate family are exempt from this judgement, such as children too young to put a good day’s graft in, likewise the elderly and infirm etc. But is this human, and it’s certainly a long way away from the notion that the only worthy people are those that aren’t in a position to fu*ck you up if they choose not to cooperate with one’s scheme of things, such as the good doctor, or farmer you mention in your example.

Most of us have seen Reality TV shows of ‘castaways’ of various type, and we can see the dynamics and the resulting tensions at work there. So apart from expelling/killing the uncooperative/difficult, just how would you police that environment that you need to protect and preserve for one’s exclusive use? My question wasn’t a rhetorical one, but one born of practicality. Who, and how does one ‘bang heads together’ for the good of the group when officers of the law are not present and the judicial system does not exist, as in, truly cataclysmic circumstances. There are plenty of documented real world examples (and those in fiction, as Scoops mentioned) of what happens, and few of them are based on people listening to reason and behaving in a ‘civilised way, where mutual respect and the understanding that cooperation is a win-win approach. It’s more ‘what mine is yours and mine is my own, and I will take it by force if necessary’.

Ok, I accept that the majority of people may understand the benefit of mutual cooperation, but there would, in my opinion, be a significant number of people, at least sufficient, to make life not as ideal as that in The Little House On The Prairie.

If were gonna talk about cataclysmic circumstances (doomsday) let’s not indulge this ‘TLHOTP’ where everybody respects corporate training, fantasy, and deal with the practicalities of protecting personal vital resources on this small island with a large population.

I’m going to leave aside your personal circumstances, life philosophy, and ambitions for the future, as I have no objection to those, and in terms of this discussion they are irrelevant (I’m mean that in the nicest way, truly).

By the way, by 'cr*ap', I meant the low grade rudeness and insensitivity so prevalent in everyday interactions as experienced in many social situations (and Web forums :) ), and in particular in urban environments. We all from time to time, have to bite down on that sh*t sandwich dished up to us by others, if we choose not to split their head open with a meat cleaver :D

Best regards,
Paul.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
It should also come as no surprise when they start making demands on the group, and I mean threatening demands, with violence. They will take from the group what they want, because they are accustomed to being given for no return. They don't know what pulling their weight means. So, it's either give in to them, or exclude them - simple.

There are many near me who are like this, and for those of you who don't know of such families from hell, it may be hard to understand just how disruptive such a group could become. Their motto is 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch my own' and the chorus just goes 'Me, me, me'.

Eric,

I'm sad to say I have had exactly the same experience of a significant number of people.

My biggest fear/the biggest challenge in the sort of scenario we are talking about is how to cope with those who band together with the intention of violently taking what they need.

As the bowsers in Tewkesbury have demonstrated it takes very very little to spur these people into action. The attitude of I'll take more than I need and then destroy what's left is a symptom of our society and a truly terrifying thought.

Scoops

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Paul,

Two questions there I think - how do you deal with those not pulling their weight?

What does one do with the elderly and young?

This is clearly something in a longer term situation - as you say - a breakdown of the normal societal safeguards.

To take the first point, I see the elderly as far from useless! With all respect Eric is no spring chicken (he's probably nearly my age). Would I want Eric in a "village" I was in. Sure I would! Would I want him in 10 years time? Yep 20? Yep When he's too infirm to do all he does? Yep. Why? Because of his knowledge and experience. Even if he can't knock up a quick pole lathe in 40 years, he will still know how to. He will have patience, skill and knowledge and the ability to pass on years of wisdom. In addition, many tasks (cooking, making and repairing tools and items, preserving food, butchering meat etc. can be done close to home and often seated.

Children? Walking pension schemes! This is why families had such importance in earlier civilisations - the elderly had knowledge, the middle aged had strength, the young were the future. Often the elderly would care for the very young leaving the fit adults to work long days. Its a societal model that the modern world has lost - "useful" does not have to equate to "pretty and youthful"

To take the second model, any society must operate on a series of rules with sanctions and rewards. The truly lazy who "won't" rather than "can't" would have to have sanctions applied - from withdrawal of privilege and company, to denial of food and warmth garnered by others to banishment to, in extreme cases, more brutal sanctions. Imprisonment, serfdom and all the rest. Unpalatable but ...

There is a huge difference though between a group of people "thrown together" and a group of people who, in that situation, choose to be together and agree a set of rules to live by. This is a lot closer to the village mentality I think. If someone didn't fit in or chose to live in a different way, then they would be better off living elsewhere. For most of the history of Britain, many different groups with different rules and ideals lived in different areas.

As for potecting your precious resources...would anyone want to? No I doubt it. If that was the choice and someone was trying to take the food resources of a village that would see them through the winter? I imagine the community would react as any bronze or iron age community would have done.

In my mind, the hardest choices would be in times of famine - its probably easier to accept what would have to be done with "raiders" or even the truly insolent. Starving beggars though, if you only had enough for your own community. Thats one aspect of history I would hate to relive

Red

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Ok, I accept that the majority of people may understand the benefit of mutual cooperation, but there would, in my opinion, be a significant number of people, at least sufficient, to make life not as ideal as that in The Little House On The Prairie.

Hi Paul,

I agree. People will be by far and away the most dangerous thing encountered in any scenario. To my mind getting involved in any group "thrown" together is a situation to get out of as soon as possible. That means head for the hills and let "evolution" take it's course for a significant period before risking any contact.

My sole goal would be making myself as unreachable as possible for as long as possible.

Scoops

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I see no reason to believe that a spiralling population that has moved from one billion to six billion in 100 years and is comsuming the planets resources faster and faster can end in any way other than a bad one. It might be a slow decline, or a quicker one. Bt it cannot continue as it is in an exponential growth of consumption from a decling amount of resource. Is that really sociopathic? Or is it something we all know to be true and its only the outcome that remains uncertain?

Red,

It's just like global warming, society is in some sort of denial, to accept the truth means people have to do something. It means that we have to recognise the true cost of a consumer society and change.

Your comments are spot on, when I come out of hiding your village is where I would like to be. Actually, can I move in now? :D

Scoops

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
So what do you do? Grab your rucksack, grab the wife, the kids and the dog and head for the hills. Get them safe, fed and sheltered. Sit it out till morning. Then, and only then you can make your way back down (alone) and recce the situation, knowing your family is OK for the time being. Be covert. Have pre planned SOPs and travel in the dark. Have a tail end Charlie to make sure you're not being followed. Do all this and it's you in control of your own destiny. If you then decide it's safe to invite other like minded people, do so. But only after appraising the risk.

Let the mobs follow you and it'd be a waste of time going in the first place because you're going to get big trouble. Do a sneaky and you control the high ground. You don't have to be selfish, but have a safe place for your family. You can always help others too, but show them how to set up a camp somewhere else. Then leave them to it. Unless you are a member of the emergency services, a social worker or a priest, and it's your job to be there on the front line, there's no obligation on you to do any more than that.

As far as policing a disruptive group or an anti social individual goes, policing isn't really the right word to use. In this situation might is right rules, it's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. If the bad lot is mightier than your group, you lose (or run away). So, regardless of how repulsive it may seem, you have to be prepared to do whatever it takes to stay safe.

Avoiding confrontation in the first place will obviate the need to take drastic action. It also depends on the severity of the disruption and how long you think it may last as to the action you'd be prepared to take.

In a scenario like we are seeing today with massive flooding, it would be better to keep a low profile and be prepared to E&E if confronted. You will be held accountable when it's over.

If however society completely broke down and there was no longer law and order, and little possibility of it returning anytime soon, a completely different mindset becomes necessary to survive. Taking another's life might be the only option, and the way it's carried out can decide whether you are as bad as them, or not. I'm talking about trial by jury here (a jury made up from your group) but this also can lead to vigilantism and vendetta settling. I'd rather not think about that route at all and deal with it only if I really, really had to.

Still, this thread is about a short term problem so keeping one's head down and staying below the radar seems the logical option. Again, it all comes back to self reliance, planning and training for all those involved.

Have a grab bag packed. Do training weekends (the kids don't need to know the details, after all it's just a camping trip), have everyone briefed and knowing what they are supposed to do and where to head for and have a plan B.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ye Gods but this thread got gloom and doomy.

Scenario;
The reservoir damn above the village is cracking, warnings go out.
Population moves in a controlled manner to safer ground in a timely fashion.
Working parties are set up to forage, housekeep, health check and observe the situation.
Everyone is fed, watered, warm and dry.
The water finally recedes and then the fun of insurance liabilities and restoration begins

Why not? Why the need for the worst of assumptions about human nature, why not the best ones?

I'm no Pollyanna but I work with people from some of the most socially deprived areas in Glasgow and Lanarkshire and there's something in folks that makes them want to be helpful; make them useful, make them feel of value and you will have a workforce. Treat them as idiots with no opinions of any worth and you will reap what you sow; division, confrontation, aggression and selfishness.

Most folks have a conscience, it leads us to help to the best of our abilities.

I'm a Scot; it really matters that if one eats we all may eat, if one drinks we all are offered a share, but don't push it 'cos you'll hear all about it while you eat your portion :rolleyes:
and I don't care if the man is a beggar or not, he still feels hunger and thirst and cold.

By nature I am 'prepared', but I belong in my society, in my culture. I live in the same place my grandparents did, where I went to school, where my husband's family, and mine, were born, lived, worked, died and are buried, where our children were born and reared; it's called home.
Why on Earth should I shun my neighbours and run away in the event of a disaster? I've known many of them all my life and the rest of them for over twenty years. On the whole they're decent hard working folks with varied interests and abilities.
That 'society' is not an evil thing, it's actually a very great strength.

I suspect the Media has turned small incidents of nastiness into screaming banner headlines and soundbites. Ho hum, what's new :11doh: Oh no! Paranoia rules okay ;)

At the end of the day, this is a bushcraft forum, not a survivalist one. I think it's back to that wonderful defintion ;-

Survival; get the hell out asap
Bushcraft; chill the hell out asap :D

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
By nature I am 'prepared', but I belong in my society, in my culture. I live in the same place my grandparents did, where I went to school, where my husband's family, and mine, were born, lived, worked, died and are buried, where our children were born and reared; it's called home.
Why on Earth should I shun my neighbours and run away in the event of a disaster? I've known many of them all my life and the rest of them for over twenty years. On the whole they're decent hard working folks with varied interests and abilities.
That 'society' is not an evil thing, it's actually a very great strength.

If I lived where you live, and had known my neighbours as long as you have, I'd probably do the same. But I don't. I live in an area where there is a constant influx of people being rehoused from areas with long term anti social problems, people who have refugee status and are homeless so have the highest priority for housing. People for whom English is not their first language and quite frankly don't give a toss for my society because they have a society and culture of their own. It does make a difference to my attitude.

Why the need for the worst of assumptions about human nature, why not the best ones?
Simply because they have demonstrated to me in the past on numerous occasions that they can't be trusted, so I don't trust them. Many have take advantage of the sick and the disabled, the young and the elderly. Drug driven muggings, burglaries, boredom driven vandalism and sheer bloody mindedness, and that's just normal day to day behaviour. As a neighbourhood watch coordinator I get all the police stats and it doesn't make good reading.

Yes, it's become gloomy and doomy. It was bound to happen eventually. Maybe now would be a good time to close the thread. It's all been said.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're an incredibly capable person Eric; communities can be made.
Society can thrive amongst the most peculiar of mixes of people and cultures......look at the way Canada, America, Australia and New Zealand accepted the refugees and immigrants.
I'm not saying those societies are perfect, but they do function well enough that the vast majority of their populations survive and lead long lives.....much like the waves of population movements of the past helped create the UK.
In the past month among the refugee population in Glasgow I've met teachers, a weaver, a clothing designer, two doctors, a basketmaker, a fisherman and a joiner. They're just people like the rest of us. I suspect the major difference among the economic migrants of the present and the past is the ease with which people can keep in touch with 'home' and how cheap travel actually is nowadays.

I had voted to take to the hills, but subsequent postings made me want to really think about the question. I think the real question is would I want to be involved in the whole social thing? From the evacuation to restoration? I think the answer is yes.

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Of course, you're right in what you say. It must just be me then, feeling this way I mean. I'm going to have to have a long hard think about not only this thread and where it's taken us, but at what's happening on a more personal level to make me feel so cynical. It's late, I'm weary and worn out. I need to go to bed. Night night.

Eric

M

mrsfiremaker

At this point, I can’t help thinking that some of the bushcrafters here, would be better off running the show at the local civil crisis centre, than being in the hills with me. I’m of the opinion that ‘bushcraft’ could do with a lot fewer leaders. It’s my view that the ‘bushcraft ethos’ is about being self-reliant, not being managed.

PERFECT PAUL!!! First I would like to say, if you knew me better, you would better understand. You’d probably still puke, not to anything Ive done though. This has been survival for me.

But the question stated at the beginning of this was what and why you choose the route you would. What would I do if I walked to my hill to find a random mix of people that I don’t know well. Whats the fastest way to learn about them and the fastest way to make your point clear that you are not their leader?

ALL of us who went to the hill I feel can agree on one thing, one big part of the reason was to avoid my description I gave about how to classify random people. We DON’T want to put up with it, that is why we don’t want to go to the school in the first place, because we think that our way of thinking will provide us with a more comfortable situation that WE alone are in control of. That is what would happen there. Change the scenario again. I walk to the hill to find a bunch of bushcrafters, whether I know them or not. There would be no need for this. We would all have the understanding that each of the other families number one goal was to do what it took to survive. I would not walk to the hill to find 24 people waiting for me to provide for them. IF there happened to be a sociopath somehow in the group, he’s be shunned by all of us. He’d be the ONLY one trying to screw things up.

But my point here is; the reason everyone thinks we are nuts for NOT going to the school is the same as everyone judging me for wanting to psychologically class a group of random strangers. Why do you want to survive? What means will you take?

This can also be compared to Tom Brown Junior. You know that guy can tell a persons injuries, psychological weaknesses, what they are thinking and how they are physically feeling from their foot prints? Now for him, he would very subtly do what I just described.

Introversion doesn't mean that we don't care about others, nor that we have sociopathic tendencies, but the poll also indicated that a good number of us are thinkers not feelers, so the chances of us suddenly opening our arms to others in a crisis becomes even more remote.

And in the school we’d be tagged as something, not necessary sociopath but antisocial, unyielding, ect, because of our less than patty-clap happiness to be with our “sheeple“ neighbors.

I think all the information is valid and worth remembering. If there happened to be a guy in the group who was that bad, and I was there trying to ensure the safety of my wife and kids, I'd start laying down a plan to get out of there in the dead of night. It's not worth the hassle, so up sticks and move somewhere else and they won't know where you've gone.

How long would it take you to figure it out? Can you see a sociopath in a crowd by the look in his eye? Like stated in a quote above, bushcrafters are thinkers and it would not take long for most of us to point to this guy but sociopaths think the way to do because it is the only survive skill they know. They trust no one, ever, no matter how close, not their spouses, children or dog and they need to control them all so they are not at all unpredictable. In a random group, if you are stuck with them, it is best to find a way to figure out who this guy is. You may not have the chance to leave, and even if you do, chances are you wouldn’t outthink him anyway, and at least you are prepared to never let your mind begin to trust him. For three days, you should be fine but you wouldn’t want to let your guard down. In a longer situation, you would want to think about every angle before making any decision. You would not want to be a running lamb with an arrow in its side that you don’t know yet it there. And how would you feel leaving 23 other vulnerable people in the hands of this one person?

I got to thinking about how ancient communities would cope with idle, lazy or non conformist group members. In nearly all societies who are relatively independent of state and free from government interference, lazy, non cooperative members would be either ejected or more likely shunned by the group and denied food, social inclusion and social interaction. This usually works, and before long that member will either leave for good or more likely come grovelling back, hungry and apologetic ready to do their bit.

Im drawing a blank on the name of the show but it was said that it was the outcasts of ancient groups were the first that wandered into America. The only people crazy enough to take that risk, making a survival trait that is favorable in their genes that they passed down.

Like I said before, the rules do not always follow but I think most of us can agree on most of the following.

Bushcrafter
Don’t like being in large groups of “normal” people
Don’t like what popular culture states we should be
Want to be prepared against the unexpected
Distrust of authority
Don’t care a heck of a lot about people outside those closest to us
Don’t want to be the center of attention, just want to “do our thing” without constant criticism

Sociopath
All of the above
Do not feel emotions, outside anger, though are very good at faking them
Higher thrill seeking gene
Talks more violently against authority than we would
Manipulative
Can not maintain a job

No religious views , though they claim so and use such religious works are twisted to support their behavior
Challenge social norms (taboos, common sense laws, ect.)

What does this mean? If I walk up to a hill with 24 random people who lead what society calls “normal” lives, I would question their reasoning. You just don’t drag your family into the woods with no skill right before tragedy strikes and put your trust into someone who “normal“ people think is not quite right….there is someone in the group that has somehow made these people think that this was the right course of action. And it sure its not because I’ve been bragging up my skills. If I had been, it would be a different story, more of a lesson that I would learn real fast.

If I walk up to the hill with 24 bushcrafters, I know that they would all know where I stand, as vice versa. IF there were a sociopath among them, they’d only be there to avoid the school so they could avoid being watched or figured out and would spend their time talking survival theory rather than doing any of it. They’d wouldn’t fit in even in our non-conformist group. You know its just a 3 days less than average bushcraft weekend but the sociopath would try to causally bring cannibalistic and such talk into the conversation. They are just a touch off beat. It can be easily found when you hear of them talk about close family for example. They will talk in a way that is always “picking” on the ones they supposedly love, but they have as much of an emotional connection as you do about the person you are telling your spouse about from work who did something funny. There is just something missing.

I objected to Becky’s methodology which involved categorising her imaginary impromptu companions, into socioeconomic grouping/IQ/ and cod-psychiatric diagnosis. The arrogance of this produced a strong reaction in me, and I expressed it.

I was simply astonished by the notion that ‘undesirables’ could be so easily addressed as giving them a ‘good talking to’. As if a sociopath gives a flying fu*k what anybody else thinks.

You are right agian. But you miss understood. Again, somebody convinced all these normal people to meet on that hill. They didn’t do it based on their “normal” rationalization. While they are waiting for me to do their survival for them, there is someone else there who planned to make me a leader who also plans to later take that away. And the results from that would be terribly devastating to my family. These people trust said person. I need to find a way to get the group to say this person is nuts because if I do it alone, I and my family will face more dire results. NUMBER ONE: I am not your leader. NUMBER TWO: You will learn your own survival skills or die. NUMBER THREE: Jerk over there isn’t doing a thing, but you the group will he the ones to say it. How to deal with this one person would depend on the circumstances because they could not “be so easily addressed as giving them a ‘good talking to’.”

Sociopaths do fail in their mission too but you need to be able to see somewhat through them first to make that happen. That is why they usually go after more vulnerable people. They think the smart ones are a challenge, a step up to jump their thrill gene. If it doesn’t work, that person is nothing better than dead.

I'm no Pollyanna but I work with people from some of the most socially deprived areas in Glasgow and Lanarkshire and there's something in folks that makes them want to be helpful; make them useful, make them feel of value and you will have a workforce. Treat them as idiots with no opinions of any worth and you will reap what you sow; division, confrontation, aggression and selfishness.

My entire reason for taking myself out of leadership and helping them to come up with ideas on their own in a non-confrontational way, and let them make decisions. Then when Im no longer needed or the tragedy is over, I’ll move my family onto something better.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I agree. People will be by far and away the most dangerous thing encountered in any scenario. To my mind getting involved in any group "thrown" together is a situation to get out of as soon as possible. That means head for the hills and let "evolution" take it's course for a significant period before risking any contact.

My sole goal would be making myself as unreachable as possible for as long as possible.

If were taking this into more of a Survivors scenario I've always thought the best place to be for the first few months would be on a large well stocked yatch, with reverse osmosis pump, some solar panels and a wind turbine, anchored offshore beyond the horizon. Even small meagerly stocked yatch, with a fresh water source, a few bottles of multi vitamins and a fishing kit would probably see one through a couple of months without too much degredation in health.
This would also give you a lot to bring to any community that you might later want to join, plus the obvious benefits to them of having someone who thought to do it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ne illigitum carborundum :D (I'd have gotten belted for that appalling Latin at school :rolleyes: )
I suspect you just need a real holiday somewhere you can recharge your batteries properly.
Hope you find it soon.
atvb,
mary

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Even small meagerly stocked yatch, with a fresh water source, a few bottles of multi vitamins and a fishing kit would probably see one through a couple of months without too much degredation in health.
This would also give you a lot to bring to any community that you might later want to join, plus the obvious benefits to them of having someone who thought to do it.

Shsh! That's my secret plan don't go telling everyone!! Small boats can actually be easily stocked for a few months (and often are). You forgot to mention that in addition to the protection of being offshore there are also the benefits of coastal forraging and being able to get places (without the need for fuel) a long way from the nearest road/settlement.

Off to Norway in 6 weeks for a nice sailing jolly round the fjords :D

Scoops

P.S. Cheer up Eric, it's probably just missing the moot that's got you down.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
P.S. Cheer up Eric, it's probably just missing the moot that's got you down.

Tell me abot it!:rolleyes:

If I had got my payout from the army a week ago, I would have been there, and I would have took Eric down even if that meant going up to his the night before and staying there or coming back down to mine. I'm not even in the army anymore and they are still screwing my life up!:cussing:

So now i have my payout as of yesterday, too late to make plans and get down, so i guess I'm just gonna have to wait till next year, which I seem to recall saying last year aswell!:censored:

If you haven't guessed it yet, you've hit a nerve!:rolleyes:

:D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
This thread is ridiculous.

To those who would offer thier help to the sick, old and young, or just wherever they can - well done, you are sane and grounded.

To the rest ...I just want to know, do your feel an overwhelming need to build perimiters? :rolleyes:

061219_SF_survivalist.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
QUOTE[Bushcrafter
Don’t like being in large groups of “normal” people
Don’t like what popular culture states we should be
Want to be prepared against the unexpected
Distrust of authority
Don’t care a heck of a lot about people outside those closest to us
Don’t want to be the center of attention, just want to “do our thing” without constant criticism]QUOTE

Your definition and mine are diametrically opposed, and I reckon I see and know an awful lot more of them that you do.

I have no objections to being in large groups of people, I can thrive on the energy that group can raise, however, I also spend a lot of my time quietly with a just my husband or a few friends around.

Popular culture allows us internet access, good health care, our liberal access laws........

, I'm a bushcrafter, if I'm stuck I'll make something......that old thing about knowing my environment, it's seasons, what I can use and developing the knowledge and skills to do so capably is the aim of my preparation.

I have no distrust of authority, we allow them to lead, if we disagree, vote them out. Hey we even told the Bruce that one :rolleyes: If you mean police, army, coastguard, etc., then until proven otherwise I have to assume that they are seeing a bigger picture and have the wellbeing of the entire population as their intention.

I do care about people, it's called empathy. I may prefer not to have hordes of strangers wished upon me, but I would not see someone in need and walk past......it's not a religious virtue either, it's a human one.

I do my own thing anyway, criticism is rare (confined mostly to the mud I seem to attract ;) ) most folk are fascinated with the things I find to do......if they ever find out.

I have to bring back the bushcrafter v survivalist comment on this thread. I find survivalists can be incredibly depressing, rather narrow minded, knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing, while all the while assuming that becasue I accept my part in my society I am somehow being defectively naive.
Get real folks, the world is a big place, few of us will ever have to "Survive" and the best foundation is knowledge and a good skills set not hoarded toilet paper and baked beans.

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Tell me abot it!:rolleyes:

If I had got my payout from the army a week ago, I would have been there, and I would have took Eric down even if that meant going up to his the night before and staying there or coming back down to mine. I'm not even in the army anymore and they are still screwing my life up!:cussing:

So now i have my payout as of yesterday, too late to make plans and get down, so i guess I'm just gonna have to wait till next year, which I seem to recall saying last year aswell!:censored:

If you haven't guessed it yet, you've hit a nerve!:rolleyes:

:D

That makes me feel better mate. Not that you missed the moot, but that you'd go to all that bother to help me out. I appreciate it anyway.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE