Folding shovels.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
If i had the choice i would go for the real army one, try a dutch army one, it comes in a green solid rubber pouch and they cost next to nothing, trust me i digged some holes with one, never had one broken, stay away from the cheap aluminium look alikes they are worth nothing !!, i saw the nato ones at Endicotts, these are the ones your after !

Last edited:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Think carefully about what you want this for. If its for snowholing then go for a folding aluminium one with a large blade. They are light and can shift a lot of snow quickly. If its for digging earth or something similar the go for steel as aluminium isn't up to to the job.:)

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I have a shovel very similar to the one you show. It's too small for snow, and using it in dirt will cause the rivets to pull through the blade. If you need a folding shovel, get a proper military one. For snow, however, these are pretty useless, the blade is just too small. A small plastic or alum one, with a long handle to save your back, would strap to your pack easily enough. Good luck, and have fun in the snow :)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Don't go for a military one. Buy a avalanche shovel, half the weight and usually bigger blade. The one you link to is worthless in snow. And heavy while being worthless. Get the real deal instead. It should be fun to dig.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I should avoid, the price looked a bit too good to be true. I should have been a bit more specific about my needs for the shovel. I will be using it to clear the snow before setting up my tent, and also to double up as a 'dump shovel' and for digging a fire pit. I had considered the wooden handled ones but they are just a bit long to carry, then again- can this offset the width/bulk of the shovel?...I have never seen the old army ones in person so cannot judge for myself.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The Fiskars/Gerber NATO Folding Spade is a very nice piece of kit, I'm very pleased with mine.

Its usable with the spade head in two positions, is very well designed and made, using quality materials, folds into its own sheath for carrying/storing, and is a tool which any person (or NATO Forces soldiers) can rely on.

What its not:
Cheap.
Light.
A snow shovel.

That apart, it works as advertised!

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
Unfortunately, scooping snow and digging a hole in dirt are two very
different jobs, requiring two very different tools. Dragging your foot
sideways would clear snow better than a military type folding shovel. For
digging a hole in dirt, a stick would work better than a snow shovel :lmao:
If there is that much snow, will you need to dig a fire pit? Will you be able
to, if the ground is frozen?
I don't know where you could source one, but this might be the right type
of snow shovel for you...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...~0596910P/Yardworks+Telescopic+Car+Shovel.jsp

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I can't say I've ever found a folding shovel to be of any use really, they just can't stand up to the bashing. Maybe I've only ever had the copies rather than the MOD versions
I much prefer this kind of thing. Cheap but not light
I've replaced the handle to make it into a pick too.
DSC00242.jpg

Mark

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I can't say I've ever found a folding shovel to be of any use really, they just can't stand up to the bashing. Maybe I've only ever had the copies rather than the MOD versions

One of the more logical factors in choosing the Fiskars/Gerber Nato version (apart from the fact that I'd always wanted one!) was reading a thread on folding spades where a soldier posted that when he began training, he'd been issued one, which he carried and solidly used and abused for a year.

He was impressed that the actual spade issued to him had also been issued for the previous seven years, to seven other soldiers for their training and the only sign of wear on it was a scratch on the painted surface!

Opinions like that from professional, long term users of the tool, and Doug Ritter's comparison of folding spades confirmed that I'd be able to rely on it for my far less demanding tasks.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've used one of these:
http://www.glock.com/english/outdoor_entrench.htm

for about 16 years, well, I've owned one that long anyway. I stopped using it about 5 years ago, at least for it's true intended purpose.

If you need to dig deep holes in a hurry, go for something much heavier, the issue folder ( UK issue) is okay but I've seen them destroyed by ham fisted squaddies once or twice, and they are quite a lump of steel to hump about.
DONT buy a cheap copy; they fall to bits.

The Glock is nice and light but actually, very strong. It has a tendency to flex a bit, as the handle is made from some sort of polythene type plastic but its not a major issue if you take your time.

A bonus is the heavy saw blade, stored inside the handle, ideal for cutting through roots in the side of trenches or just 'holes'. Of course; you can also cut wood with it if you want:D

Not sure of the price of them these days mind:confused:

atb

R.B.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
They look the business, is the pick up to much ? Not that I'll get the urge to any excavating mind.

I use one of these too, they're a little heavy but solid as anything. They also work great in hard or frozen earth as you can break it up with the pick before excavating with the spade. The spade can also be used in the normal or right-angle position too. You also get a handle long enough to get a good bit of leverage from.

I also use mine as a graft when I go ferreting, great piece of kit.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I've used one of these:

for about 16 years, well, I've owned one that long anyway. I stopped using it about 5 years ago, at least for it's true intended purpose.

If you need to dig deep holes in a hurry, go for something much heavier, the issue folder ( UK issue) is okay but I've seen them destroyed by ham fisted squaddies once or twice, and they are quite a lump of steel to hump about.

The Glock is nice and light but actually, very strong. It has a tendency to flex a bit, as the handle is made from some sort of polythene type plastic but its not a major issue if you take your time.

A bonus is the heavy saw blade, stored inside the handle, ideal for cutting through roots in the side of trenches or just 'holes'. Of course; you can also cut wood with it if you want:D

atb

R.B.

I've got a Glock folding spade, I love it, for it's intended purpose, and it lives under the seat in my car, near my 'Just in case' bag. As others have said, for snow, there are plenty of folding/telescopic snow shovels that are better suited to a winter trip of this nature. The folding spades are ok for digging in, and digging out, but as an expedient only.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've used one of these:

atb

R.B.

These look pretty good, no rivets or welds to pop, fold right down and weigh next to nothing. Bit pricy, but if it's going to last then so what?

Can't find a UK supplier though, any pointers anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE