Folding canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Motorbike Man said:
No probs, it's a great little site, I just wish I had the space to build one myself. It must be so satisfying when you put it on the water and it works :)

I'll tell you as and when I get round to it!

I think it would be a good thing though. I could stick it on the (canvas) roof of the 1955 Land~Rover and get some good weeks away. I used to canoe in my youth - did 100 miles down the Severn in 4 days for my Gold D of E; It's been a long time but if I could get back in practice on the canals I'd like to do some inshore touring and light camping up the West coast of Scotland.

Regards,

Neil

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Motorbike Man said:
I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that completely packed away to get an idea of the packed size.

Errm, see what I can do. I don't have any at present.

It is a 4'(ish) x 16"(ish) roll of foam and poles, plus a 3' x 2' x 18" holdall for the seats, ribs, skin, odds and sods.

No bags supplied. The whole lot just turns up in a hyouwge cardboard box!

I do demos, ask Wayland :D

I should be after Bergans for a commission...

HTH,

Jim.

JimH said:
Errm, see what I can do. I don't have any at present.

It is a 4'(ish) x 16"(ish) roll of foam and poles, plus a 3' x 2' x 18" holdall for the seats, ribs, skin, odds and sods.

No bags supplied. The whole lot just turns up in a hyouwge cardboard box!

I do demos, ask Wayland :D

I should be after Bergans for a commission...

HTH,

Jim.
Sounds like it might still end up being a bit on the large side for a bike with camping gear as well :( However, if I'm ever round Stalybridge way, I may well give you a shout :D

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Motorbike Man said:
Sounds like it might still end up being a bit on the large side for a bike with camping gear as well

I reckon I could just fit it on my R1150GS, if I had those big Touratech alloy panniers to give a flat loadspace, and to swallow the ancillary gear, including a lightweight camping rig.

Inferior tinny little non-Bavarian offerings might struggle :p :lmao: , any sort of sportsbike would be screwed. A Dnepr with sidecar would be spot on, or a 'wing with one of those trailers. A big Hardley might cope, but who'd wanna ride it?

Motorbike Man said:
However, if I'm ever round Stalybridge way, I may well give you a shout :D

I can be found on Windermere most weekends at the moment, a PM would suffice to organise if the opportunity were to arise...

Jim.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Folding canoe and a GS, hmm might well be worth disposing of the body. I've got an Aprilia RSVR V twin, and theres just enough room for the padlock and chain.

What else have you got lurking in that garage of yours JimH?

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Topcat02 said:
What else have you got lurking in that garage of yours JimH?

Don't got no steenkin' garage.

Nor garden, hence foldingness of canoe which shares my "spare" bedroom with bike gear, reenactment gear from a previous existence, fishing rods, camping kit and bits of woodwork in varying stages of non-completion.

I'd love to see the look on the "Life Laundry" woman's face if she tried to de-clutter me :eek:

I'm improving. I used to have a dismantled CBX1000 in the attic :lmao:

Jim.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Is anyone able to point me to a thread comparing folding to inflatable kayaks ? Or, more helpfully, to offer suggestions for a two-seater boat with which to introduce my children to the river(s) ?

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thank you.
I wish that I could say that the choice is narrowing; but (as with most toys), the more I read, the wider it gets. Hardly something about which to complain, though.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
just finished playing with the puffin, i wanted to see if i could get in my 100L pack (saber 60-100). i could, so i thought i'd show you guys who are thinking about a folding boat just how compact/portable they are.

before...
a83657f6.jpg
[/IMG]

after...
67e8b12e.jpg
[/IMG]

i wanted to do this so i could, possibly, start kayaking on me' bike! i'll let you's know if it works!

for those of you who havent seen it (not many i know), here's a shot of it ready to rock
5af59b90.jpg
[/IMG]

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think you got a very good deal there. They are pretty expensive new.

I understand the Ally canoes are very good in white water, especially solo.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got to patch it up a bit so I think a Dragon's head will be a must too.

What it really needs is a big Square sail and a fair wind whenever it is hoisted..... Oh and a pouch.. ;)

(In Norse mythology, Skíðblaðnir (the name can be anglicized as Skídbladnir, Skídhbladhnir, Skíthblathnir, Skidbladnir, Skithblathnir or Skidhbladhnir) is the ship of Freyr. The ship was made by Dvalin and his brothers, dwarves and sons of Ívaldi. It was made at the request of Loki, and was given to Freyr as part of Loki's reparation for the theft of Sif's golden hair. The ship was big enough to hold the whole of the host of Asgard, and whenever the sails were hoisted, a fair wind followed. It could travel over both land and sea. According to the Ynglinga saga, Skíðblaðnir was made by so many parts and with such ingenuity that it could be folded like a cloth and carried in one's pouch.) wikepedia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE