Folder recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello,

I’m a little worried that I’m developing an unhealthy fetish, but I feel the need for a quality (by my standards anyway) locking folder.

I’ve got SAKs and Opinels, but when I want something to rely on I go for my Radio Spares knife, and it just doesn’t have the bush cred!

I’ve had a good look through Heinnie Haynes Online and there is a baffling array from £10 to £200, and to be honest I don’t know enough about the subject to make an informed choice.

If you were going to spend £40 on a locking folder what would you go for (and please could you tell me why)

I don’t know enough about the choice of metals and I’m not brilliant at sharpening so edge retention is important. I do like the look of the ‘naked’ knives but I don’t know if there are significant draw backs to their design. But fundamentally (and this is ridiculous but true) it must be an attractive piece of engineering but that’s in the eye of the beholder!

Thanks for reading

Andy

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've been looking for a new folder my self i decided that it will cost me a little more than £40 I'm going to go for one of these Benchmade Griptilian I'd have the 551 the plain blade with no serrations i might also be tempted to pimp mine and have some carbon fiber or mikarta (SP) scales as I'm not that keen on the factory injection moulded ones but as it comes in the box its a great knife

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
I'll second the benchmade, either the griptilian or mini-grip (which is smaller but comes with different colour handle options, good steel, well made and a very solid lock.
You'll get alot more knife for your money if you order from the U.S, here's one dealer with a good reputation and it should come in around your budget (ish) after shipping..http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3931.
You could also go over to british blades and ask, lots of very knowledgeable and friendly people and some helpful U.S dealers that will probably be able to give a good deal. :)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks guys,

Could I ask, what was it made you go for these particular knifes over the hundreds of look a likes (to my eyes anyway)?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
what made me go for this one well

i used a few and had a look at some more and i liked this one the best out of all of them.
i like the blade shape it does just about all i want it to.
its just the right weight so that when in the pocket it doesn't feel like it's going to pull my trowsers off.
i like the lock and you can open and close it one handed.
also it might be peer related a couple of my nates have them and use them alot they say there great, i see the knife being used by others and i just want to fit in:D

hope that helps

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
You might still find one of these "Lonewolf" folders that are rather nice:

lonewolffolder.jpg

Cheers

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks Klenchblaize,

I couldn't work out exactly which one that is, but on Heinnie Haynes Online, they all seem well over my £40.

What is it you like about it?

Andy

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Yes, sorry about that I should have read your post fully. Well over £40 as you point out!

I chose it because of the blade shape – being that of the classic “Loveless Drop Point”. It is well engineered and doesn’t look too ‘tactical’ as with so many of the folders you see today. Not saying it’s the best blade for bushcraft but it works for me.

Cheers

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion, and it raises an interesting point. Are you more likely to always carry something you don’t mind using to destruction or loosing, because it has a very low intrinsic value, or are you more likely to carry something you value highly because of its perceived value both in terms of quality and aesthetics?

Sadly I fear for me at least – I want a pretty toy! Shallow!

EdS

I'll second the British army "jack" knife best £10 knive about. Actuallly I think mine is a Belgium army one - off the same line only difference isthe bottle opener I belive.

I got a 1952 unissues 1 off ebay.

It is not a locker but with a sheeps foot blade that is not much of an issue. Plus the blade is less than the legal max so it is OK as an EDC and it take a razor edge.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have a mini grip which I got from lighthound for about $65 posted to the UK
it has
good lock (axis lock may be the best out there)
good grip- it's not flat like a lot of other pocket knives and the texturing helps with wet hands
good steel 154cm which takes a really good edge and holds it well
light weight

I don't like the pocket clip though, it's a bit stiff for my liking

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Why bother spending £40? An opinel will do you fine, they are dead easy to get razor sharp, work just as well as a folder costing many times as much and are cheap enough that it dosn't really matter if you manage to loose or break it.

Quickbeam

Aug 6, 2005
Durham
Without a doubt I'd go for a Spyderco Delica 4.

The new Delica 4 is a much better knife than the earlier versions with a slightly chunkier handle.

It will probably come in around the £30 mark but the ergonomics are easily as good as any £40 knife.

The BM mini grip is my second favourite, the axis lock is superb.

Oops that one is the full size griptilian.

Nick

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
less than £40 have a look at a gerber magnum l.s.t nice bevel that cuts i even hit mine with a baton big no no for a folder but it's still going strong don't use it much now but it took a beating when i did look for folders with alan keys etc so you can tighten them back up they last a lot longer if your useing it alot it's the first thing to happen/go hope this helps..karl

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Another vote for the benchmade mini griptilian: I picked up one of these: http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=556
in a plain edge and yellow handle for visability in the dirt after reading the report on british blades. Tiny in the pocket with a sturdy blade that works hard like a bigger knife. The lock is fantastic and feels completely safe. £33.00 delivered from NewGraham.

Not legal though, so not an EDC.

Martnz

Jul 31, 2006
Auckland NZ
www.portabyte.com
Hi Guys,

I bought an EKA Swede 60 (with plastic handle) in the mid 1970's. Seems to have lasted well - am still a happy user!

Easily dis-assembles to component parts for thorough cleaning every 10 years ir so! Seems also available with classy wooden handles.

Been around the world several times (I guess before the current security issues - survived numerous border crossings buried deep within checked baggage!).

http://www.ragweedforge.com/eka-catalog.html - shows they are still made (!) - found on google and have had no dealings with this business.

Edit! The above site is worth a look - seems a kindered spirit to many of the posts/interests here, with info on firelighting and pre-20th century and Nordic technologies.

Regards, Martnz

Jul 1, 2006
Fargo, North Dakota
Hi,

I have a wide selection of folders for use at work as a teacher and as a deputy sheriff here in North Dakota, besides for in the bush. For the price I do not think you can beat Benchmade. They lock up strong with no lateral play which is very important for safety. I think the steel is better than many of the Gerbers, though some of their higher end knives are great. Spyderco makes a good product, and I have a couple of their smaller models. My wife never leaves home without her Spyderco. A couple of higher price folders to consider are Emerson Knives and Al Mar Knives. Emerson is the strongest folder that I own, but also the most expensive. Al Mar knives are great and come with a fantastic edge. The only factory edge I have seen to equal Al Mars is from the Helle knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE