Folder recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi,

for a folder i'd have to say i'd stick with the opinel no7 - Mine has been everywhere with me - i don't really need much better at the moment i recently spent a few hours cleaning it up and its as good as new. I've left a couple of far sexier sydercos and a crkt m16 behind in favour of this wee french cheese cutter.

if you are not to confident on sharpening i'd recommend you pick up a small sharpener such as the lansky

it really makes puting a razor sharp (tm) :) edge on in 2 mins a piece of the proverbial you'll likley to get much more out your folder and indeed your sak etc with one of these keyring sized gadgets tucked away.

at the risk of playing devils advocate it sounds like you are looking to upgrade - i'm guessing you don't already have a fixed blade - if thisis the case have you considered a swedish Mora- much cheapness sensible size etc and it'll do everything you need - you can just keep it tucked in your pack when you are out and about in the bush.?

cheers

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Klenchblaize said:
You might still find one of these "Lonewolf" folders that are rather nice:

lonewolffolder.jpg

Cheers
Ah crap. You made me go and buy one on eBay :rolleyes: And here I was happy with my Victorinox spartan!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I really like the Griptilian variants - I have quite a few:

The basic models, the 556 Mini and 551 Full Sized get my recommendation.

The Spyderco Delica and Endura are also very good knives, and in your price range.

I really recommend that you buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Although it will cost as much as your knife, you will be able to keep your knife very, very sharp, very, very easily.

All this kit is available from New Graham Knives. If you ask them they will ship by USPS Global Priority mail. ($5.95 to get a knife delivered from the USA !)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a jack knife and love it! It is strong, sharpens easily (And stays that way for a good length of time)

and dont cost the earth!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
ilovemybed said:
Ah crap. You made me go and buy one on eBay :rolleyes: And here I was happy with my Victorinox spartan!

Sorry about that!

Hope you like it and didn't pay much more than $140 (£70)??

Cheers

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Klenchblaize said:
Sorry about that!

Hope you like it and didn't pay much more than $140 (£70)??

Cheers
Yeah was $139.95. Haven't paid yet actually - the shipper is ill and can't process the order at the mo. But I want it now mummy! :red:

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Guy’s,

Many thanks for your recommendations – sorry I’ve not replied, I’m mad busy.

It’s looking like a griptilian at the moment.

Andy

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I’ve had quite a few folding knives but the only ones I’ve still got and that have proved their worth time and again are my Opinel and my Buck Hunter/Ranger ( can’t remember which one it is – whichever is the smaller).
If I had to choose one, it would be the Buck…I’ve had it for years, it comes in a good holder, it stays sharp and it’s easy to sharpen…quality all round.
It’s not as light or as small as some of the other knives mentioned here but I’ve been through or lost some of these without shedding a tear. If I lost my Buck I would feel I’d lost an old friend; so make it 50-60 squid and get one It’ll last!
:rolleyes:

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
I have used Opinel No.s 7 & 10 and been very impressed with them for a good 18 months now, just remember they aint hatchets so limitations...... but read about BM 551 and bought one as its the cheaper metalled version of the RSK which is greatly lauded. ebay total price US $75 and I love the feel and ease of use of it (except the plastic handle). So much in fact I went out and got 2 BM 151 which is the fixed blade version of it. But still carry oppy7 around as Officer Dibble may have a dickkie fit if he found a BM in my PSK

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I'd go for a BM Griptillian, great knives.
Very quick to open and they lock up solid with a great blade profile

I have a RitterGrip as an EDC and i like it better than my Large Sebenza (did i really say that :eek: )

448_4884_1.jpg

The Ritter version is just a more expensive version of the 551(different balde steel).

I had a small griptillian (555) but it was a little too small for me to carry as my EDC, but a great little knife if you want something smaller and i liked then opening hole rather than the stud.
This is it along with a few well known folders for size comparrison.

453_5336_1.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The Griptillian is a pretty popular knife. I even considered getting one myself for a while, but then decided that when it comes to locking folders I'll stick to the one I've carried and used for years and years.. Buck 110. I've used and abused a 110 for about the last 25 years and I'm yet to have one let me down in any way. The locks are solid, they take, and keep, a good edge, and they just feel fgood in the hand. Ok so they tend to be more than your specified £40 but you can find them on E-Bay for less if you hunt a little, or get one from Attleborough Accessories for £46. They come with a decent belt pouch too.
For the money I honestly reckon you'll go a hell of a long way to find a better knife.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Buck-Knife-Fo...88QQihZ002QQcategoryZ7306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/BUCK.html

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
there are a few bargains here looks like they don't have the grip' in at the moment though. but a great outfit to do business with.

cheers, and.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi

Just to follow up on my thread, I had kind of made my mind up on a Benchmade 551. However, whilst looking at the Heinnie Haynes website last week I noticed that they were doing the Benchmade Pika as the offer of the week - £14.99.

It arrived last night and it strikes me it was a bargain. I might still go for a 551, but this Pika seems to do everything I want.

Thank you Heinnie Haynes and all of you who gave me advice.

AJB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE