Folder...Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Tumper

I've been a very good boy lately, and managed to curb my spending...So now I'm going to treat myself to a decent folder. I have a budget of £60, which is 5 times the amount I spend on the opinel No.8's I use all the time.

As I have never puchased a folding knife other than the Opinels, I would appreciate a bit of help. Preferably it should be strong, drop point, and not flashy or gimmicky. My own tastes are with the more traditional, although I have seen the Gerber Harsey Air Ranger, and like the look of it.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Why dont you treat yourself to a good fixed blade. I dont really do folders apart from a leatherman. I have two bark river knives in the post a highland and mini-canadian. Both have had good reviews. Or the lapp puukko (i have one and it is superb). Or you could save up a bit more and but a Woodlore micarta :wink:

Jake

T

Tumper

I already have a few good fixed blades.... I carry a 1.5" penknife in my pocket all the time, but would like a larger folder that I can keep in the daypack I use everyday for work and play...talking of Bark River, I'm looking forward to hearing about yours when it arrives, I may just get one myself :)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
The Spyderco Penknife should be avalible next month.
Can't remeber what price point it's at. But it was collaborated on over at British Blades, and it looks be be a mighty fine knife, legal EDC too!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The Opinel is trustworthy but I second the Griptilian. The Benchmade Griptilian family are a great buy.
Look at the full sized 551 and "mini" 556. They have 440C steel which is a good quality stainless. The axis lock is very secure too.
There is a new model that has excellent S30V steel, called the 552 RSK
http://www.equipped.com/rsk_mk1.htm

The 552 is a bit over your £60 budget though....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Martyn beat me to it. The mini griptilian is an excellent choice for an outdoors folder imo. You might also look at something from the Kabar/Dozier line and Fallkniven has a new lockback out that everyone is raving about. My favorite is a Benchmade BM 721 but they are more expensive and no longer in production.

T

Tumper

seem's like theres a fair amount of agreement on the Griptillian then...I'll have a phone round tommorow, and see if I can get one in the UK. I would prefer the mini model, but the one shown on BKCG appears to be part serrated, and looking at thier prices, I'm sure I can get it cheaper ...Any ideas?

T

Tumper

Thanks everyone, especially Martyn for that link. I'll be sending them an e-mail tonight...at that price I can also afford another Opinel :lol:

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Hoodoo would be shocked and disappointed if I didn't throw my hat in the ring for the Griptilian. I have a 550 and 556, and both rock the house. Still can't decide which size and blade shape I like best.

My 550 is coming up on her third birthday in a couple months and she still hasn't touched a stone, only a strop, but is still hair-popping sharp. I carry her everywhere everyday. BM does an excellent job on 440C, which is underrated by way too many people.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A word of warning though. The griptillian is one of the cheaper knives that Benchmade make, and the handle is made of black, textured plastic. It's one of those tough do anything to it plastics, but plastic nonetheless. Some people might not like that. It's a really superb little knife, but if the plastic handle is just not acceptable, look at something else in the benchmade linup. Pretty much all the knives in the benchmade collection are outstanding, but something with a more traditional handle material will probably cost you more. Personally, I have no problems with the handle and find the knife to be excellent in just about every way. The spine is even ground square, making it one of the best knives I own for getting sparks from a firesteel.

I personally cant abiode the serrated or "combo" edge models (from any manufacturer).

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Good point about the plastic handle, Martyn. It's tough as nails (dropped mine countless times on concrete, etc.), but sure seems flimsy the first time you pick one up. :wink: If you want something a little more traditional or aesthetically pleasing, you'll have to pay more.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, even so, I love the knife though. In many ways, I prefer it to my considerably more expensive sebenza...

attachment.php

If Benchmade did a model with a ssuperior handle material, I'd probably go for it. The new version with the S30V steel looks good. The 3.4 inch blade is a little on the large side for my tastes, but I could be tempted.

T

Tumper

I'm sure I'll get used to it...the strength and comfort in use is what I look for, it's one of the reasons I have stuck with Opinels for so long. The axis lock is new to me, but from what I have read it works well. 440c may actually be a bonus on this knife for me. I have a 2 month gap between jobs this summer, and plan to walk the south west coast path...I'm bound to get it soaked in seawater at least a few times, which would be tougher on a carbon blade.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...the 440c makes for a good food prep knife too. Peeling spuds, onions, boning meat, whatever - right useful little knife. :-D

The axis lock works extremely well. The best I've personally seen, including the sebenza.

The ergonomics of it are superb, allowing a really wide and comfortable range of grips.

T

Tumper

Looking at your pic makes me think it's probably the right choice for me. The 'swell' on the handle looks as if it will fit nice and comfy in my paws...cheers :uu:

T

Tumper

I took a look at the U2, and it does appear to be a good, solid hard worker. I already use a Fallkniven f2 for sea angling and its an excellent knife, so I dont doubt the overall quality.

My reservation was the steel. I dont know anyone with any experience of the powder steel they use, and without a few independent opinions, decided to stick with the more well known steels.

If the U2 is your choice of folder a,nd as good as thier fixed baldes, I would appreciate hearing your opinion of it's performance, as I'm sure others would be. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE