Folder advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although I've got a WS Micarta Woodlore for the serious stuff, I used to always carry a Victorinox SAK -the Campflame, with integral butane lighter. Very useful. Unfortunately, the lighter died after about 1 year, so I sent it back under warranty.....and it looks very much like the Royal Mail have lost it. If so, I will get compensation.

I've kind of lost faith in the sophisticated but apparently fragile Campflame, and I'm looking for a decent everyday folder instead: must be slipjoint, sub 3", preferably wood handle, don't mind if single or multi blade, mainly for carving wood, cutting string, everyday stuff.... Could spend £50 (or more if it's really good).

Any ideas?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
spyderco UK penknife (before anyone else gets to say it)

It looks like a good slicing knife and has been made just for EDC in the UK. costs £56 from www.heinnie.com and you will have to wait just a bit longer.

Folk on BB seem to like case knives but I haven't played with them. I wouldn't be too put off SAKs completely so would suggest a climber. Someone on BB sold me a couple of good condition ones for £5 each (and postage at cost)

I've you like traditional look the are a load made in sheffield which don't have the tax that american ones do so work out cheep. IXL and Taylor eye witness would be my first choice but there is also rodgers and Awright (very similar to IXL)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I don't know of anything out there right that i'd be happy with except for some small quality lockbacks such as the spydie dragonfly and EKA masur which I own but fail the slipjoint requirement.

This gaping hole in the market is the reason that led to the spyderco penknife being developed - it's going to be great - buy it ! It should only be a week or two now before the UK distributor is ready to start feeding them into the retailers.

The one other choice to look at is the slipjoint folder Shing is designing for members of British blades. This is a custom makers alternative response to the same problem. I think it will be a little dearer than your £50 target but not massively. The first photo's of the prototype have just been posted and it's going to be a beaut - lovely blade shape, handle looks like it will work in a range of grips, and strong.

Biassed as I am against SAK's these two would be the top contenders if I were in your shoes.

Cheers :biggthump

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
My favorite right now is a SAK Farmer model I picked up in Switzerland. Has the alox handles and is similar to the Soldier model but includes a small saw. I have used the saw a couple times cutting small trigger pieces for spring snares and trim on a corner board when I didn't want to go get my hand saw. I have used the screwdrivers so many times I lost count. I have even used the awl to bore a few holes. And although the blade is not my favorite shape it holds an edge well and dresses quickly with a ceramic rod and cuts nicely. It is THE most used knife I carry. I have cleaned a couple of rabbits with it but it remains more of a gentleman's multi tool than a hunting knife.

Kind of on the subject. What thoughts do any of you have on serrated edge knives? I have a Benchmade Model 7500 Automatic with Tanto point and half serrated blade that I carry. I bought it for work and liked some of its attributes, however.... The only benefit I have seen from the serrations is they will cut (or rather saw) through anything if I have been using it so long the plain edge is dull. It's marvelous on rope or fiber and tissue, but the tips of the serrations are prone to snapping off it you put too much side pressure on them in dense material like bone. The tanto point is ideal for penetration through anything. But like most of my knives it's only good for the purpose I bought it for .....WORK. I don't take it with me into the woods as my trusty Old Timer Trapper and Drop Point hunter do everything else.

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
The sturdiest folding knife I've ever tried is the Benchmade Griptilian - it's absolutely bomb proof. I might yet buy a mini-Griptilian because they are so strong, but I wasn't too keen on the blade or the handle shape of the full size one, so I'm not sure.

I've now got a 1st generation Spyderco Native, which I bought on ebay for just £20 inc postage from a U.S. trader. I had to change it from a concave profile with a secondary bevel, to more of a flat grind. Also rounded the spear point a bit (almost sounds like I know what I'm doing, but don't worry I don't !!!), anyhow with waterstones and a Starkie strop I now have a razor sharp, good quality, locking folder with exactly the handle and blade shape I want.

Finally, my personal preference is always plain edge with no serrations, I'm just not clever enough to sharpen them :?:

Good luck,

:biggthump

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I'd like to second the recommendation for the Pioneer / Farmer / Electrician series of aluminum scaled Victorinox SAKs. the Farmer is particularly nice because it has lanyard attaching point.

It's because of the saws that I EDC SAKs as my survival multitool. I also EDC the full-sized Griptilian. Before that, and on every other third Wednesday, its the Spyderco Native.

Right now I'm carrying a Victorinox Trailmaster. It's got the tools I like, and has a locking main blade. I prefer the Victorinox locking mechanism over the Wenger.

Victorinox and Wenger both make single-bladed slipjoints intended for gardeners and for grafting. They make dandy utility knives, especially with Wharncliffe blades.

Bear

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
My favourite is the FÄLLKNIVEN KNIVES - MODEL P FOLDER it has a lovely locking mechanism, superb blade which produces great sparks from a fire steel and a nice easy clean set-up to the handle, only thing is it is expensive £82 but i think worth it, you could take a look at their latest folder the U2 looks like it could be a nice knife and almost half the price.

Hope this helps

Michael

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm in the process of reviewing an EKA Nordic fixed blade and if their folders are as good as their fixed then they are darn good.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Opinel, mine is 15 yrs old and still going strong and its had loads of abuse.i dont really think you can fault them too much for the price.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Squidders said:
I got the EKA Swede 88 wood and spent 30 seconds with a dremmel... now nice and legal and I can't fault it.

I have just bought one of those too and really impressed by it.
How did you modify it?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
beachlover, indeed - it's a lovely bit of kit and for £20 I love it. I have ordered another 5 as stocking fillers for people.

Anyway, to make legal - unscrew and remove the blade using the big brass looking screw and you'll see the catch on the blade and a corresponding one on the lock, I simply filed a tiny bit at a time from each, reattaching it as I went, until it clicked open but closed under mild pressure. The more you take off, the easier it closes. One thing to know though is that the blade doesn't fully open after you've done this, the once slick and perfectly engineered lock will have a little play in it.

Anyway, it's a 1 minute operation and all you need is a slotted screw driver and a needle file :wink:

I hope this helps.

Joe

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
The UK knife from Spyderco looks like a good choice, great steel and all the Spyderco knives I've had are very well made and strong. A SAK is also a great choice, especially if you have another knife for tougher cutting tasks. A saw and sissors are always useful on them. I just made a new replacement blade for an EKA knife for another forum member, they look well made and strong with a wooden handle.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Squidders said:
Anyway, to make legal - unscrew and remove the blade using the big brass looking screw and you'll see the catch on the blade and a corresponding one on the lock, I simply filed a tiny bit at a time from each, reattaching it as I went, until it clicked open but closed under mild pressure. The more you take off, the easier it closes. One thing to know though is that the blade doesn't fully open after you've done this, the once slick and perfectly engineered lock will have a little play in it.

Anyway, it's a 1 minute operation and all you need is a slotted screw driver and a needle file :wink:

Joe

Thanks for that. I might have a fiddle with it today.

jakunen

Native
[QUOT E=lou1661]Opinel, mine is 15 yrs old and still going strong and its had loads of abuse.i dont really think you can fault them too much for the price.[/QUOTE]
Was wondering when someone would get around to this one! I've had mine for 20 years or so and, despite a bit of rust:eek:, it's still going strong and sharp, and has really been through the wars.

Long live le Main Corone!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Yeah Shing i do like the look of thet Spyderco job, :biggthump opinels are a good choice they can be sharpened easily and realy take a razor edge, ive a couple nice and simple and tough..oh and cheap as chips :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE