Flu vaccine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I thought this 'flu was supposed to be incredibly infectious ? Both my younger son and one of my neighbours (they don't interact in any way) have had the 'flu, but I was talking to the neighbour's wife yesterday and no-one else in her family has come down with it and neither has anyone else in ours. She and I both 'nursed' the invalids, yet we're fine.....we've quietly decided it's a Man-Flu :D

No it is normally infectious. Saliva, bodily fruids, sweat.
Standard precautions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty much what Margaret and I did. Lots of bleach :D and kind of being old fashioned clean about being 'hygienic', lots of washing.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's another stupidly simple concept which appears to make a great difference:
Don't touch or rub either your eyes or nose with your hands, washed or not.
Seems to be a most direct pathway of rapid infection.

Some people are like this, others smear their hands all over their faces, all day long.

Reactions: Toddy

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Some people get saliva all over them all day long.
And it is not the wife salivating!

Feel somewhat fewerish now, could be the excellent dinner we had at blue Cilantro (google it) and the two bottles of German Weisse I had!
Or the injection.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Could be how the vaccination was done, and different scar tissue as a result. Scars do heal.
The vac could be scratched in, or punctured in.
Also we have different ways to scar. The most extreme is keloid scarring, more prevalent in people eith subsaharan African heritage.

Mine is faintly visible as it does not tan the same way like the surrounding skin.
Most of the scars I received before age 20 are very faint.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, I don't. It's not in leaf or flower just now anyway. I know where it grows though so I can get roots, but it's historical use is to clear out worms......

....Tansy is slightly poisonous, I frankly speaking would not take it if my system was run diwn due to Influenza.
It's not surprising that something "slightly" poisonous was used for clearing out worms. Even now, the treatment for heartworms is mild doses of arsenic.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Do not worry, heartwormd do not live in Englsnd.

We had to treat our dogs against heartworm when we relocated to Cayman.
Not needed for humans though.

Herbal meds is fine for light non life threatning problems but I would not use them for something as potentially nasty as the Influenza.
One potentially bad effect is that if you treat yourself with ”herbal” that us pitent, and then get worse so you need ”manmade” meds, they can interact in an unknown way.

St Johns Worth is a good example of a herbal med that interacts badly with several ’manmade’ meds.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Heartworms didn't live here when I was a young kid. The first case I remember was in the late 1960s. They've spread north ever since. It should be difficult for them to cross the Atlantic but not impossible. If they ever take hold any place with mosquitoes they'll thrive. But the point of my earlier post was that poisons have been used to treat worms before.

Yeah they don't affect humans. Without looking it up I'm guessing our lower body temp isn't within their needed range?

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They got the med every three months. I guess preventative. The meds are called Heartguard Plus.
No clue what it contains.
One dog did die from suspected heart worm infection.
The other had cancer.

We did not want an autopsy. Waste of money.

Wife told me just that we started with the Heartguard med after living here for about two years, but that the vet medicated them with a daily tablet with something else first.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used Heartguard for a while. It's monthly here. I also don't know the active ingredient but they're all larvacides that kill the said larva before they are mature enough to be dangerous.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most vegan reluctance towards killing doesn't extend to microbic life. To be fair it would be impossible not to kill microscopic viruses or bacteria anyway. Our body's natural immune system will kill invading life with or without our consent.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is not killing bacteria and viruses I was thinking about, it was the manufacture.
Vaccines are mostly made by inoculating fertilized eggs. Life gets killed
Most other medicines are tested on animals. Majority die during or are killed after the testing.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hadn't thought of that. Most commercial eggs are sterile but they still come from the farmed hens (and yeah, chickens & eggs are indeed produced in the industrialized manner Prophecy dislikes)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Surely the majority of people know these facts!
The Pharma industry have been battling against various 'animal welfare" organizations for years!

And every time you receive immunization the dr asks you about allergy to eggs?

I feel good now after last Fridays shot. Felt subfebrile, 'down' and extra tired for a few days. Today when I woke up I felt as usual! ( Depressed, needing a pee, back ache and stiffness in my knee :) )

No, Santaman, eggs for vaccine production are from fertilized eggs. They need to be, it is the 'growing process' of the chicken foetus that produces the virus and antiviral bodies.

At least the hens producing eggs or the pharmaceutical industry are happy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE