Flu vaccine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
This years flu seems to be a very virulent strain, and everything points to that we will get hit by two strains.
How many of you have got vaccinated?
I am thinking of getting immunised. I am on the wrong side of 50, ex smoker, exposed to lots of people, exposed to their saliva.
(Maybe the wrong forum I posted in?)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I got jabbed just before winter. I'm in the least vulnerable group so had to pay for it but my son is under 6 months old and was due to go in for an operation so it made sense to get it done.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm gonna hold on getting the vaccine, only way to beat the canny, clever virus is to let the body find the solution. I have friends who have had what is being called Aussie flu and they said it knocked the hell out of them. I've been in contact and haven't got infected. However, I'm not working in their mouths as you are Jan. There will be another resistant strain year upon year, all called by different names, bird flu, Asian flu, swine flu, Aussie flu etc, a constantly evolving viral disease.

Having said my piece and sounded all sensible, if I could have got a jab against the Norovirus that ravaged my body at Christmas three years ago, I really, really would have done. Let's go camping, in the bathroom. :down::down::down:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've gotten it every year since I enlisted in 1976 with one exception a few years ago when there was the shortage. Of course it was mandatory while I was still on active duty; from 1976 until 1997. Is it 100% effective? Nope. But they do usually do a fair job of predicting new strains and even if they miss it by a bit, the off strain is slightly weakened in it's symptoms. Nice65 is right about the Aussie Flu being the unforeseen one this year; but I'm unaffected so far.

My grandkids also get it every year Although I don't believe it's one of the mandatory school shots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My younger son, (Son2) who still lives at home, came down with the flu at the end of last week.
He's had a miserable few days and nights, and looks to be on the way to some more miserable days and nights too.
I have had real flu many years ago, mid 1980's. The Doctor called it 'Singapore Flu". It hit like a ton of bricks on Christmas Eve, and I have no real memories of Christmas, the New Year or most of January. It was Easter before I felt truly on the mend again. I don't think I have ever been so ill in my life.

However, I have a truly horrendous reaction to the flu vaccine (and tetanus, so we wonder if it's the carrying medium that's the issue) so even though the GP offers it to me as a pre-emptive strike, neither of us are really happy at the thought of me actually having it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I had mine but I get it for free

(Its not expensive though. And I find if the surgery have lots left over they will stick it in you if you ask nicely.)

Once you have had real flu you wont forget it. Its a killer of the weak, and I have seen young and healthy people lose a year of their education because they were in bed for a month...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
For two consecutive years i suffered no colds or flu at all. These were the two years in my teens when I was a Lifeguard and we swam off Southsea beach every weekend throughout the year, partly bravado and partly to raise funds.

Due to my age, I now get threatening letters from the doctor to ensure I get my annual flu jab. It is not quite as effective as year round sea bathing, but much easier if less ego boosting.

Year round sea bathing in the Caymans would be far more pleasant than in the Solent but if had my hands in peoples mouths on a regular basis I'd be first in line for a jab. I had assumed that all health professionals, like my GP daughter-in-law, automatically have annual jabs.

I suppose another way to avoid colds and flu would be to avoid all contact with people: must seem like a good idea to many after a typical family Christmas.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I’ve been vaccinated for over 20 years. I came down with a tickle in my chest the day before Christmas Eve. I was unwell Christmas Eve itself. Christmas Day I got up, did presents, put the Turkey on and put myself to bed. I lost the next 3 days. Blew out plans for New Year. Temperature, stomach issues and horrible fatigue seems to denote the Aussie Flu.
Only started to fell properly better middle of last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The wife and daughter both had it between Christmas and New year, and are still getting over the nastycough it left them with, luckily I've been spared so far. Apparently there is a French strain heading our way though.
I caught a really bad dose about 15 years ago, wife abroad on business, 6 year old daughter to look after, I just dosed up on Lemsips and Beechems capsules to manage untill the wife came home, then collapsed. I think I slept 3 days straight, it really knocked me out.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I had a cold for christmas, someone at work gave it me as an early present:). however it's now changed into a sickness/ tummy bug which has wiped through the family.

I'm relatively young and fairly strong and healthy and it's knocked me around a bit - I can fully see how older folks or those that aren't well to begin with get taken out but illnesses like this. I haven't kept much food down for a couple of days and feel as weak as a kitten.

The kids seem to have shrugged it off fairly easily, just a couple of days moping around being sick then back to normal.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm vaccinated, as is my daughter. She has severe allergies and I have asthma. Common sense really. I'm also a nurse, so I'd take the vaccine even if I didn't have chronic health problems. Herd immunity is I credibly important to prevent epidemics, and protect people who are unable to have the vaccine.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You don't really have to be elderly or have a compromised immune system to be vulnerable. Even the young and healthy can die from it. Remember the flu pandemic of 1918 infected an estimated 500 million people wordwide and killed between 20 million to 50, million. Granted, we have better drugs and treatments now, but it's not much of a stretch to think the sheer numbers of infected could overwhelm the medical system. www.history.com/topics/1918-flu-pandemic

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My younger son, (Son2) who still lives at home, came down with the flu at the end of last week.
He's had a miserable few days and nights, and looks to be on the way to some more miserable days and nights too.
I have had real flu many years ago, mid 1980's. The Doctor called it 'Singapore Flu". It hit like a ton of bricks on Christmas Eve, and I have no real memories of Christmas, the New Year or most of January. It was Easter before I felt truly on the mend again. I don't think I have ever been so ill in my life.

However, I have a truly horrendous reaction to the flu vaccine (and tetanus, so we wonder if it's the carrying medium that's the issue) so even though the GP offers it to me as a pre-emptive strike, neither of us are really happy at the thought of me actually having it.
I can't remember all the details about the flu mist (the inhaled vaccine) Is it supposed to be safer or more dangerous regarding adverse reactions? Might be worth asking your Doc anyway?

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
If in doubt please get it.

If you think your tough or never get a cold please still get it.

I thought both of these and had flu which resulted in pneumonia and ended in hospital. I was off work for 4 months and back at work for half days for another 2 months.

I now have the flu jab every year.

My lungs are damaged and it took over a year to recover and I am never going to be same - this was 4 years ago. The doctor said I was lucky because I was fit at the time and that stopped me stamping my one ticket.

I still get slight colds and sometimes a cold straight after the flu jab. The flu jab is not 100% successful; I think this year I read it was only 40% but still well worth it.

Interestingly the flu was worse than pneumonia. If you want to die you have the flu if you want to live you just have a heavy cold! It was horrible time for my family and even worse when I was out of bed - day time TV is not that good!

Please do not make the mistake I made.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've never had flu. Is it worth getting the jab? I've been diagnosed with asthma and have allergies pretty much year round. I get colds several times a year but never do. I think I'll pass myself. Although my parents religiously take it. They claim it helps prevent bad colds too which is a bit OTT IMHO.

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE