Flowers are luvly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've been carving a lot of wooden flowers of late from readily available materials from the garden, gives me something to do and to occupy my hands and mind whilst i await surgery (whenever that might be), all of these have been carved with a Swiss Army Knife or TBS Boar EDC folder.

Open petal flower, five individual blooms carved from a green Cherry Plum shoot and glued to a Cherry Plum twig with hot glue.

Tiny flowers carved from a Bamboo bbq skewer

Multi bloom flower carved form Cherry Plum with a Cherry Plum stalk

Another multi bloom from Cherry Plum on a Chery Plum stalk, but this time bunched together for a different effect

Hazel flower, long petals are the bark of the stick

Cherry Plum flowers awaiting glue up on a twig

Hazel Ball Chrysanthemum

Hazel (top) & Aspen (lower) flower on a Cherry Plum twig

Hazel Ball Chrysanthemum

Hazel flowers on a Cherry Plum twig

Cherry Plum flowers on a Cherry Plum twig

Cherry Plum flowers on a Cherry Plum twig, there are 15 individual flowers in this "creation"

Hazel flower on a Cherry Plum twig, Cherry Plum flowers and a Porcupine made from the cone left behind after carving the Hazel & Cherry Plum flowers, waste not, want not ;-),

All of the flowers and the Porcupine have or will go out on the grass verge in front of the house for people to take if they so wish, if they don't, well i guess the next time the council cut the grass they will all get shredded.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
They're excellent Mark. :thumbsup: My Mother used to make flowers very much like those, especially the Chryanths, she used to dye them yellow with Onion skins or a red colour with Elder Berries. They always sold well.

Reactions: Kepis

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
great carving and despite looking great as flowers, your the man if you need to get a fire lit in the rain!!! goodjob

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
great carving and despite looking great as flowers, your the man if you need to get a fire lit in the rain!!! goodjob

Brilliant. I bet they would also set to flame with just the rumour of a spark!

Yup, they are pretty fine and would go up a treat, i don't think any of the neighbours have twigged yet that they would be perfect for lighting their barbeques ;-)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Afternoon playing with colours to see if i can come up with something a little different.

Flowers are all Hazel on Cherry Plum stems, colours are bog standard permanent markers.

Reactions: Muddypaws

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice work Mark.

Have you ever tried dying them with the fill from water based felt tip pens? You put the fill in water, leave it a while then dip the flowers in the dye water

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work Mark.

Have you ever tried dying them with the fill from water based felt tip pens? You put the fill in water, leave it a while then dip the flowers in the dye water
I've not used the inner from felt pens, but i used to dye the flowers using good old fabric dye (Dylon), used to work really well and gave me a huge choice of colours, i used to have gawd only knows how many 5l bottles of dye pre mixed and ready to go in the side shed.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've not used the inner from felt pens, but i used to dye the flowers using good old fabric dye (Dylon), used to work really well and gave me a huge choice of colours, i used to have gawd only knows how many 5l bottles of dye pre mixed and ready to go in the side shed.
Sounds like you've got a new project ;) :lmao:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Heck, you have been busy goodjob, how do you fancy doing a step by step for the rest of us to follow?
It helps keep me occupied whilst i await surgery Tony as well as occupying my mind it also provides exercise for my hands and fingers (being medically housebound is a right swine when you have been so active all your life).

I have a tutorial in PDF that i wrote that i can send you (31 pages) or if people want to help little old me out with a few pennies, i have it all as a booklet on Amazon for less than the price of a pint.

Mark

Reactions: Tony and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE