Flour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi everyone my question is when putting Rations together for bannock ext do you take plain flour or self-raising i only ask because self-raising has all ready got salt and baking powder in it so would save taking the other ingredients, or is plain more versatile ?????????

Thanks for any input
Mal

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
the baking soda keeps best on its own, specially in damp conditions

if kept too long it can lose its ability to "raise" stuff ie puff up your bannocks

but for a few days camping or whatever it is just as easy to carry self raising (already mixed with baking soda) flour

Tant

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Just to add some thing to the bannock issue - Because I dragged my kids along with me a few times into the wilds, I started adding corn meal (ground corn, not the white corn flour). It adds a real nice sweet taste and makes great donuts first thing in the morning fryed in bacon fat.

I got a big supply from tesco once, but it does seem harder to get it now.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yes.... I noticed that. You can still get it (and many other flours) in health food shops, or they can probably order it..... but it seems to have gone from our 'local' stores.

:(
Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I buy it from the Indian foodstores in Glasgow. 2kg for £1.39
It might be worth trying them down your way.

Cheers,
Toddy

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
troy said:
Just to add some thing to the bannock issue - Because I dragged my kids along with me a few times into the wilds, I started adding corn meal (ground corn, not the white corn flour). It adds a real nice sweet taste and makes great donuts first thing in the morning fryed in bacon fat.

Troy -- Do you add corn meal to the flour or substitute the corn meal entirely for flour?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE