flint knapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
hi guys was justb wondering how many people did flint knapping here and if you would post some pics of the kit and the things that youve made. many thanks alex

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I don't exsactly do flint knapping as flint is hard to find where I live but I do do it with bit of obsidian (which I have lots of) from which I've made small saws, a few arrow heads and small knives unfortunatly I'm limited due to the size of the chunks I can find (which are rarly more than 2-3 inches in diameter) but are good for practicing the skills needed for the task at hand.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I bust up rock on occasion but not often enough to have really got to grips with it. My gear is just the usual assortment of pebbles, sandstone and bits of antler. I'd recommend a thigh belt though, the thicker the better, wide at the leg-whacking spot. It sure cut down on the pain factor.:)

Exbomz

Oct 19, 2004
East Sussex
Pointseg.jpg

The points in the picture are, starting with the barbed and tanged point at the 12 o’clock position:

Petrified Wood (US), Mozarkite (US), Striped Flint (France), Mookite jasper (Australia), Novaculite (US), Norfolk flint, Clear Chalcedony, Sard, Obsidian (US), Blue bottle glass (Boots the Chemist), Bruneau jasper (US), Agate, Agate, Johnnite, Centre: Black and white chalcedony.

As to kit - hard hammer, soft hammer, hand & lap pad (leather) and pressure flaker.
Cheers

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Hello, I try with limited success. I have managed one or two arrowheads along with blades but I break far more than I complete.

It's one of those hobbies that I like for its minimal kit requirements, although I feel it'll be many more years before I get to grips with it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE