Flint Knapping Course recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is only my second 'thread' so hopefully its in the correct place. In my first 'thread' I started talking about flint knapping, and realised that I probably wouldn't get much response due to the title 'Thought I'd Introduce Myself'.

Anyway,

I am interested in doing a flint knapping course, Karl Lee names popped up, and I am also aware of John Lord. Can anyone recommend a course/school in the south west regions of the UK. I can't afford Ray Mears £300 course so a reasonable price courses please.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
You've already mentioned John Lord, and having had instruction from him in the past, I can't recommend him highly enough.
He's considerably cheaper too. (£120 for an 8hr days worth of lesson, which can be shared amongst 4, making it £30 each)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Richard, you're not very far away from Where we're having the Moot in early August (South Wales), Will Lord is with us for a number of days running workshops, it's way closer and good value. We always ahve Will, John or Carl Lee at the Moots....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been on severl of Karl Lees courses and I cannot recommend him highly enough.
He is based in the Forest of Dean - so not too far from you :)

John's courses look good and the price is great, but Bristol to Norfolk is 4hrs drive, I'm only really looking at a couple of hours drive. I didn't realise that Karl was that close under an hour from me.

That Hands on Bushcraft course with Karl looks a good price, closer to me plus I don't really have any friends that would be interested in a private workshop. Anyone been on any of their courses?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You've already mentioned John Lord, and having had instruction from him in the past, I can't recommend him highly enough.
He's considerably cheaper too. (£120 for an 8hr days worth of lesson, which can be shared amongst 4, making it £30 each)

I can see travel may put you off this but for anyone else reading this thread I too would wholeheartedly recommend John Lord. Flint knapping is not something that works well in a group of 4 let alone 8. You really want 1 teacher to 2 students. Get a mate and have a day with John for £60 each (including pub lunch when I went) absolute bargain.
Here he is

IMG_8636.jpg

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/07/flint-knapping-with-john-lord.html

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
if you came to the moot for the week and did a couple of sessons with will best of both worlds for about £120 and meet some nice people arrange a couple of meets and so on regards dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
if you came to the moot for the week and did a couple of sessons with will best of both worlds for about £120 and meet some nice people arrange a couple of meets and so on regards dave

... and maybe find someone who does want to share the cost of a private day with John Lord....

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE