Flint knapping 1:1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I spent and enjoyable day one to one day with Karl Lee - https://www.primitive-technology.co.uk

It was good chance to build on some some of the techniques learnt on a group course. After warming up with a scraper we moved onto a hand axe. This was a made using a combination of red deer antler 'soft' hammer, roughing stone and the odd chip with small hammer stone. The whole process took Karl about 20 minutes and me several hours. The combination of discussion and hands on tutelage meant mine took a 2/3 hours or so. The combination of being able to ask questions, the practical nature of the lesson, how to present and hold the flint and how to strike the flint with the soft hammer was fantastic.

We moved on to pressure flaking and again being able to learn practically with someone to tutor and positively 'critic' technique was great.

Karl is a patient teacher who doesn't step in every time things are not 100% and do the hard parts or try to hide 'trade secrets'. He explains, demonstrates and lets you get hands on.

The hand axe was made by me 90/95% by myself and was at a 'saleable' quality.

75C28749-913B-4EFB-8E58-EA8A1BEE598B.jpeg

05E6D5F0-4195-4865-9194-E9228C0E5711.jpeg

The last couple of hours was spent getting a good technique with ‘pressure flaking’ using a copper tipped tool embedded in a yew handle. The technique is quite hard because it involves several steps that need to come together to at the correct angle and pressure to ‘snap’ a small flake off the flint edge.
I pressured flaked a 'arrow' head that was Ok but was very pleased with what I achieved in 6 hours or so. I need to get some practice in with the pressure flaking.
1564CFF6-DB5D-40F5-AF20-13BCF9F0A572.jpeg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Brilliant- sounds like you had a great day and the flint products look amazing you should be very proud! I need to get me on a flint knapping course. There's some things I'm comfortable teaching myself but I don't think knapping is one of them... I've attempted it a few times now with very little success...

Danqrl

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2021
Derbyshire
Fantastic well done, I did a flint knapping immersion course with Karl Lee via Woodland Ways in Derbyshire. He really is everything you say he is and I highly recommend him.

Over 6 weekends we progressed our skills from hide scrapers to arrow heads and everything in between. I actually have this weekend coming with him doing a confirmation session for that we have learnt previously. Watching him work is like voodoo lol the way he knows exactly how the flint will behave is incredible.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
There's some things I'm comfortable teaching myself but I don't think knapping is one of them...
There are too many nuances to the techniques I think to self teach. After a day with Karl I am much more confident to practice myself. I am going to do another session with him when I am passing through Wales.
He really is everything you say he is and I highly recommend him.
Funnily enough he was just back from doing the same course in Derbyshire this weekend.
Keep flaking and practise no breaking.
He didn’t tell me until I had made the hand axe that the flint had a crack in it. Could have broken in half but will be fine now.
I’m on the hunt for some good quality flint - I know what I want and some ideas of where to get it.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one :)
I sat and watched Karl knapping at one of the shows. Excellent to see, it really was.
I think doing a course with him would be brilliant.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
A good job especially since it's not the best bit of flint. Really looks a mammoth job.
The flint was fine. It’s harder to strike off long flakes when the colour/consistency is less uniform. The one Karl made was only slightly smaller and a shade thinner but not The heft’ and width of the hand axe is necessary so that you can use the weight and a swinging motion to skin and bone animals. In experiments folk have skinned whole deer more effectively with a hand axe than modern skinning knifes.

D

Deleted member 56522

For the arrow heads? 3-4/5mm
That's not bad. My last axe was 6 wide, goes through cardboard like a mouse chewing up bedding and weighs 3.3kg ... did I say 6 ... that's 6cm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE