Knife journey so far, plus bits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Not posted a thread for a bit so thought I ought to.

I've been oddly interested (read obsessed) in knives all my life. From my first crappy 'survival' knife to a very expensive handmade 'bushcraft' knife.

As part of that I've handled a few blades in my time and enjoyed it for the most part. But I've always wanted to do better and do more.

The 'I blame Sam part' :eek:
He linked me the Woodsmoke blade course. Sadly I'm not in a position to afford it (looks amazing), but the knife through the ages idea stuck.

I did however have a day flint course already book with the amazing Will Lord. So earlier this year I took my first steps into our stone age past.

Long story short, I suck at flint knapping (but will get better). I struck a few blades and a small hand axe with a lot of help from John Lord. But I did cast a pointy sharp lump of flint that screamed out to be a blade. Now I want to make a proper biface in the future. But for now. This is my stone age start. This I handled in red deer antler, and set with pine pitch glue. The pommel is buffalo antler (very not stone age but I wanted to so did) and the design is a buffalo from Creswell caves. It's not perfect or truly primative, but it's 'styled' and i have to say, works a treat as a knife.
98f36c4346b6e2d47f52bbf9b1a8e07b_zps80540b67.jpg

381e0f5c8561e757b53b75c863df88f2_zps5d8f3c6a.jpg

I want to add bronze casting to this list, but that does not look a cheap option. So that one will wait for funds to appear from the gods.

But I was lucky enough to get on the blacksmith/Viking knife forging at the recent bushcraft Show. So I get to tick my Iron Age box in my knife making journey. The amazing Austine helped a lot in making this knife the thing it is. Is it perfect, no. But it's bloody sharp, holds a great edge, and has my sweat in it.
6387a465db30e124cbb6542354dacdc3_zps1b659fa1.jpg

So I've two of my three steps. None are perfect and I want to do more and do better. But I'm loving the history and evolution of the knife. I still feel it's mans greatest tool.

Right. Not knife but a few other bits made recently.

Antler and Lignum ring
b48b0be806ed566c924175b755edfacd_zps6d6f78e6.jpg

Handled Budd spoon knife blade I got a bit back in beech
a98b8c9f19a45b379781845ed39b6b34_zpscb0ac7ac.jpg

And finally a bit of cordage making. Oddly obsessive to do. But sore fingers now.
6892a8ef8a691912649eb45760afb35a_zps60e2f02a.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers all.

I never set out to collect knives, but I seem to be acquiring a few. But the interest in the progression of the knife is really interesting. Our ability to cut, to fashion other tools, interests me a lot.

The ring was something I saw online for sale. So I though, I could make one surely!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Really enjoyed this post. Some lovely bits, love both blades, prefer the larger one. The uniformity of your cordage is impressive.
Nice work.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent to be so interested in the development of knives, and then make it a practical reality by doing your own take on it, great stuff! I'll look out for further developments :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers all.

The buffalo on the handle is scratched in. It's then got purple ochre in. But I mixed this with epoxy as I had no other fixer to hand. Looks cool tho :eek: The image is a copy (although reversed) from ice age art at Creswell.

If I can find suitable flat antler (fallow or moose I guess) I'd like a crack at an antler blade.

Any other suggestions folk? Flint, antler/bone, bronze, steel, ???? What else did man use as a blade?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just to add,

If I can ever get decent with flint, a biface blade and set with pitch and sinew and all done with stone tools will be on the cards, so no modern help.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Really nice work, but it's filling my head with ideas for more projects that I don't have the time, skills or money for at the moment :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Lovely stuff, looking forward to seeing your period knives develop :). Really like the cordage too so neat compared to my efforts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE