Flat Bread

First thing this morning I got up and made some flat bread for the family for today. All I used was half a bag of plain flour (the cheapest white Asda stuff is fine), half a packet of easy yeats, a nob of butter and a dash of salt/sugar. Mix it all up with a cup of warm water, need and leave until doubled in size (roughly an hour in a warm place.
Break off golf ball or bigger sized lumps, roll out into a circle and dry fry both sides until they slightly brown. Lovely and great practice for campfire cooking.

March09051.jpg

Go try!:)

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
woodsmoke, looks great :) just wanted to ask how you dry fried it, I know you can do it with salami because it has fat in it that melts and hence starts fring etc, but a dough mix, how does that work?
Cheers
Will

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i dunno how woodsmoke did it, but when i dry fry bread i just heat up the pan till its v. hot, wipe with an oily towel (vegetable not engine), place bread on the pan and then press down on the bread with a damp cloth. of course if you happen to have a handy tandoor or clay oven around...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
When you dry fry it just make sure that there's a dusting of flour on the bread first. The easy way to do it is roll the dough out on a floury board and that's enough. Easy peasy as that. No sticking, no mess and lovely flat bread to make take anywhere.

Thats how i make bannock. A sprinkling of flour either on the dough or in the iron skillet. Infinitely better than oil. Less crispy on the outside, less chance of burning.

Was the yeast needed with you rolling all the air out of it prior to cooking? Would it not be the same without?

Thats how i make bannock. A sprinkling of flour either on the dough or in the iron skillet. Infinitely better than oil. Less crispy on the outside, less chance of burning.

Was the yeast needed with you rolling all the air out of it prior to cooking? Would it not be the same without?

Yourt supposed to let them rise again after rolling but I was lazy today and just fired them in. I should have said, let them rise for a few minutes before frying...:eek: But they do fluff up with frying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE