Flagging the bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I was enjoying a vakation last week and could finally spend some time in the woods. I really enjoyed it. Everyday between 13:00 and 15:00 I was hiking away, when my pregnant wife and son were doing their nap.

I noticed a special phenomenon: I needed to pee at least two times in those two hours... Each day! :confused:
Normally I can 'keep it up' for half a day at least.

Could this be explained by my excitement ( I am not used to walking inside the forrests), or was there some pre-historic 'flagging of territory' going on? :D

I am really interested in your experiences...

Everything is back 'normal' now, since I'm back in the office. :eek:

Bob

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Could it be something as simple as increased fluid intake over the weekend? Or perhaps too many dandelion leaves in your wild salad (it's a great diuretic) ;)

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Both quite acceptable... There is not much walking around going on at the office anyway.

I also thought of an other possibility: relaxation.. :cool: Maybe some otherwise cramped up muscles are relaxing with this result.

I must say the pre-historic instinct idea suited me better than these 'down to earth' theories. It kind-of ruins the romance of the memory :lmao:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Bob,

I like the idea of territorial marking - the other points are valid, but your theory suits me.

Go with it and mark your territory, just don't do it near any watercourses.

Cheers

JFW

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Bob,

I think it's a combination of factors:
More physical activity as Pierre mentions, more fluid intake as Stovie mentions. Do you drink coffee when you're at the office? What did you drink on your vacation? (coffee - in a less quantity; or something completely different? (fruit juice, syrop and water, etc.?)

The fact you don't have to pee that much at the office seems logic to me. It's familiar terrain, so probably is already been flagged by you before :eek: ;) :lmao:

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
stotRE said:
Everytime i walk in my Thetford forest i mark my territory every two hours.

It makes me feel tough :naughty:

Don't fight it. :lmao:

Yeah, exactly!! :D
I must say that the 'spray it around' technique suited me best at this particular job. Much better then the 'tsunami-wave' technique I regularly use in toilets :D .

Just as making fire by friction, this just feels instictively 'right'.

O.K. :sad6: , I admit that the fire by friction part is more rewarding though.

but not much :lmao:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
william# said:
anyone else ever want to pee 5 mins after zipping self up into sleeping bag ?
for me its almost everytime

It must be a law of nature, though I'd imagine it has more to do with removal of restrictive clothing. I recall this most acutely after digging a snow trench and getting "buttoned up ( a long and involved process). In recent years I've gotten in the habit of bringing along a screw top soda bottle.

As to "flagging" your territory - it is something Itry to avoid at all costs - especially while hunting. Very distinctive to animals and you won't see them if you "flag."

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Another factor may be your removal from normal routine. I bet in the office you drink the same ammount of fluid each day, at similar times and probably pee at fairly similar times too.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i know a guy who uses one of his pans on cold nights .
soda bottle a great idea thats got to be even worse in the snow (especially after getting off your top layers )

i have got myself into the routine now of having a pee before getting into tent but knowing that after i climb in i know im going to be out in 5 mins again (if your near by you will hear me say to myself "right have you finnished now can i now sleep "
lol

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It could also be something you have eaten. Some foods do have an effect that make you want to pee more often. I think they are called diuretics eg dandelion, often called 'pee the bed' for that reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE