Fjallraven Vintage 30 or Duluth Wanderer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Hi, after a bit of information and opinions. I looking for a day pack and would like something with a bit more of a traditional feel. I came across the Fjallraven Vintage 30 which has the traditional look I'm after with modern harness etc, which would make it comfortable. I have however noticed that the pack is made of the same fabric that this company uses for clothing and I am concerned that it may be too thin and perhaps not so durable in the bush, i.e more susceptible to ripping if snagged? Fjallraven is not sold in Australia, so I have never seen firsthand the g-1000 fabric or any of their products.What are your thoughts on this pack and the material it is made of? I would just carry basics, survival kit, wet weather gear perhaps a small axe on occasion.

The other option is the Duluth Wanderer, which boasts a solid canvas construction and would certainly be very durable but probably not as comfortable as the weight increased. I am aware of Frost River products also.

Any guidance welcome.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have'nt got either, but have 2 traditional packs by rugged river(sadly now ceased trading)they realy are as tough as anything, and will stand up to any amount of being dragged through the bushes. The straps take a bit of getting used to after using more modern systems(in my case the karrimor)but i enjoy using them. If i was to back pack big distances then i would use a modern pack, but for a steady day walk i use the smaller of the 2(about 35 ltrs) and i did 30 miles over a couple of days using the monster wilderness pack,( which is about 65 ltrs) had no real problems.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Thanks Rob, the appeal of a rustic pack is there, and as you say for a day out a bit of discomfort isn't a huge issue. I have a set of canvas motorcycle panniers and I do love the way they age and also the fact that they are near on indestructible.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have put my Kifaru E&E to one side in favour of a Frost River Summit pack. I really like it and, if you take a little time and care with packing, it's as comfy as most other day packs. The waxed fabric is really good: very hard wearing and sheds water very efficiently; the added bonus of it is that it just gets better with use and age. Might be worth a look...

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
I have put my Kifaru E&E to one side in favour of a Frost River Summit pack. I really like it and, if you take a little time and care with packing, it's as comfy as most other day packs. The waxed fabric is really good: very hard wearing and sheds water very efficiently; the added bonus of it is that it just gets better with use and age. Might be worth a look...

Yeah the Frost River Summit and Vintage are on my list. Only hassle I thought with the summit is that there are no side pockets, so as you say the manner of packing it would be critical.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Just purchased a Frost River Cliff Jackobson Portage Pack. They will make it on Monday and then ship it out. Looking forward to loading it up and heading on out.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE