Fixing Dislocations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
I just popped my toe back in, that i dislocated falling off a jeep last week while someone took the handbrake off...
not as daft as it sounds actually
It did rather swell up while i flew home
it hurt like hell, but it seems in the socket now
any trick to putting them back in or does it just have to hurt?
i just lined them up and pulled until there was a sharp crack

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Evening Ruvio,

No no real skill, no matter what it'll smart somewhat. Have had to do my shoulders a couple of times.:eek:

Worst story I've heard of though is of a rugby player who's hip got dislocated on the pitch, the medic decided to put it back there and then.

The blood curdling scream that stopped everyone in their tracks around the ground was seemingly due to the fact that a testicle had gotten caught up in the procedings and was now mashed in the hip joint.:yikes:

Don't know if it is true or an urban myth... but I DO know that every male when reading this is not sitting in the same possition as when they started reading it.

Had to set my thumb once too when I broke it climbing, not a good day, words like gosh and goodness being spouted whilst dangling off of a rope... and it's still squint.

TTFN
GB.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Have had to do my shoulders a couple of times.

Ermm, how would you do that then to yourself - don't you need both hands to put it back?

It needs quite a bit of strength. Two female nurses didn't have the combined strength to put my little finger back when I dislocated it. They had to call in a male nurse with big hairy arms!

Jim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aye - it is best to have a professional reduce your dislocations....trapped nerves (never mind testicals)can be an experience best avoided.
Mind you when my wife dislocated my little finger for me ...when I was teaching her some hold breaks for self defence (dont mess with her - I taught her TOO well!)... I reduced the injury myself.
If you have to do this (in a life threatening situation) try to get it done ASAP - before swelling and muscle contraction makes it realy dificult!
Several whiskys help but are no substitute for the gear they give you in hospital!

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
The first time I dislocated my shoulder was on an assault course in the Army :( I fell to the ground in agony and was then attacked by the male Physical Training Instructor for 'malingering'. I think it was the fear of further assault that allowed me to get it back in. Back at barracks I asked to be allowed to go to the medical centre, but the duty NCO medic said that if it had dislocated, there was no way I would have been able to do it myself, and sent me on my way. The following evening we were doing swimming training at a civilian pool, and my shoulder dislocated again when I dived in at the deep end - I almost drowned because everyone thought my thrashing around trying to keep my head above water was me mucking about :sigh: Over the next six years it became so bad that the shoulder could dislocate simply by me turning over the wrong way in bed. I was always able to get it back in - in the same sort of way that Bruce Willis does in the Die Hard series. The final time, I was playing basketball and I jumped to intercept the ball coming over the court. I was travelling forward, the ball hit my heel of my hand, and my arm was left hanging down my back :eek: There was nothing I could do :confused: even though I was trying to bounce my hand off my bottom to make my arm swing up so that I could catch my hand :eek: I couldn't, and ended up being hospitalised. Eventually I ended up having a Putti Platt carried out where the shoulder socket is cut open and wrapped around the ball of the joint. It doesn't happen these days, but, whenever it did, it was some of the worst pain I had known :(

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Evening Ruvio,

Worst story I've heard of though is of a rugby player who's hip got dislocated on the pitch, the medic decided to put it back there and then.

The blood curdling scream that stopped everyone in their tracks around the ground was seemingly due to the fact that a testicle had gotten caught up in the procedings and was now mashed in the hip joint.:yikes:

Don't know if it is true or an urban myth... but I DO know that every male when reading this is not sitting in the same possition as when they started reading it.

TTFN
GB.

anatomiclly it would be very unlikely to be able to trap a testicle when replacing a dislocated hip also anyone with medical training would not attempt to replace a dislocated hip without the kit to extend the leg enough to ensure any piece of the mass of plumbing and nerves are not being dragged into the socket so I think we are safe to assume it's an urban myth

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
anatomiclly it would be very unlikely to be able to trap a testicle when replacing a dislocated hip also anyone with medical training would not attempt to replace a dislocated hip without the kit to extend the leg enough to ensure any piece of the mass of plumbing and nerves are not being dragged into the socket so I think we are safe to assume it's an urban myth

Cool I'm glad to know that it is an urban myth, will not whince every time I hear it. On my soulder front the second time I put it out was in Turkey and the little village doc had me put my fist up to my shoulder, and then banged in down on a hard surface - really hard. Never heard of it being done this way since, and all medical friends say NO. But have put it back this way on my own since.... almost passed out, but it worked. Luckily not needed to do it again, as I'm rather carefull these days and am too fat to play rugby anymore.
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE