Fishing lure(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,today i made this primitive fishing lure based on an Kalaallitt design,the only difference with my one is that i used a treble hook,instead of a double hook. I thought you may like a look. Oh i did a wee bit of a tutorial for it also.

Heres our raw materials.
Slate, bone, Lime bark, and Sandstone to abrade.
lure.jpg

Once we,ve chosen our pieces of bone and slate, which are roughly to size.
lure2.jpg

Then the hard work begins, lots and lots of abrading.
And eventually we get our bone and stone starting to look like a fish.
lure3.jpg

Next mark the holes and drill out with either a piece of Flint or Quartz.
lure4.jpg

Now we make three hooks,again lots of abrading :rolleyes:.
lure5.jpg

Then bind the three hooks together using some Lime bark.
lure6.jpg

Well now we start to make cordage out of the Lime bark. And after that is done, we can assemble the lure.

The lure all tied up, and i also drilled an eye hole,and filled it in with a mixture of Beeswax and Charcoal.
lure7.jpg

All finished now, the lighter is for scale.
lure8.jpg

Well thats how i made my fishing lure.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Stuart thats the dogs ..you really need to try and catch something on that even if you just use it off a harbour wall and jig it that should do the job a treat

Ps a nice long wooden fishing pole is all that needs now

Jason

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,just a wee update.

lovely work Stuart, Have you dragged it through water to see how it behaves?

Awesome work Mate have you had any luck with stuff like this?

I was working up on the west coast of Scotland last week and i managed to have a play around with the lure. I tied a modern swivel onto the leader and used a modern fishing rod to see what it would cast like. So with trepidation i cast it skyward thinking it may fall apart,upon hitting the water,but to my suprise it cast like a dream. It has a nice weight to it just like any modern lure. The next test was to see how it would cope being reeled in through seaweed infested gullies, and again it worked a treat. As for how it behaves,it just looks like a modern Minnow lure in action. But alas no fish were tempted,even when i used modern lures. The reason was that the tides were just not in my favour,as by the time i finished work it was low water,and the fact they were neap tides meant for poor fishing.

But i will endeavour to catch a fish the next time i get back to the seashore.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE