First working with leather…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
… my first leather pouch ! Scrap leather from an old sofa.

Decided to try my hand at making a pouch for camping trips.

It was harder than I thought, kudos to the guys who turn out splendid pouches, I have a wee bit to go to

get to that stage! Anyway, overall , quite happy with my first attempt.

Have still some left over, maybe another larger pouch and a small rectangular ( maybe ? ) pouch.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
Good job. If your planning on doing more leather work I would highly recommend a speed sticher or automatic stiching awl. They allow you do to the double stichig a lot quicker than with needles and you only need to thread it once when you load a bobbin.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for the kind words people.

Good job. If your planning on doing more leather work I would highly recommend a speed sticher or automatic stiching awl. They allow you do to the double stichig a lot quicker than with needles and you only need to thread it once when you load a bobbin.

Aye , my fingers would appreciate that as well ! Might end up getting a basic stitching kit. I would like to try some larger projects, maybe try my hand at wet forming as well.

Just need to source reasonably priced veg tan leather.

Pete

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I bought some split tanned leather to practice and learn on. Its a lot cheaper. It has a buck skin finish and can be stained but can't be stamped or carved. I still have a few sheets and its ideal for making quivers and pouches for sling amo for the kids.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice pouch.

Made a few smaller versions out of leather sofa samples. Work a treat and good practice. Sewing one inside out is nice too as you get a suede finish and smooth inner.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I bought some split tanned leather to practice and learn on. Its a lot cheaper. It has a buck skin finish and can be stained but can't be stamped or carved. I still have a few sheets and its ideal for making quivers and pouches for sling amo for the kids.

Anywhere local ( ish ) to you ? Or mail order? Like you , I am in Central Belt, near Falkirk.

Albus , I shall be scouting out some Leather sofa dealers locally, for that very purpose !

Cheers guys

Pete

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Try upholsters for scrap leather.............when they recover leather furniture the old leather gets ditched. Often has a really good patina.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
Pete11. I've not found a local supplier yet. Apparently the wives grandfather used to buy it from a tannery or dealer in Glasgow. I've not found them yet if they still exist. I usually get it off ebay but quality and price is very varied. It seems to be twice as expensive as it was when I first started. I have all my friends looking out for leather upholstery if they throughout leather furniture and always keep an eye out when I'm at the dump as well, if theres a leather couch there then the guys will usually let you cut the back off it. I got the split tanned leather from ebay. It was very cheap for a complete hide and can be stained to what ever colour you want, you just don’t get the smooth polished finish on it. I also bought some pre coloured/finished leather which was a mistake. The finish was poor and scratches off very easy.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Pete11. I've not found a local supplier yet. Apparently the wives grandfather used to buy it from a tannery or dealer in Glasgow. I've not found them yet if they still exist. I usually get it off ebay but quality and price is very varied. It seems to be twice as expensive as it was when I first started. I have all my friends looking out for leather upholstery if they throughout leather furniture and always keep an eye out when I'm at the dump as well, if theres a leather couch there then the guys will usually let you cut the back off it. I got the split tanned leather from ebay. It was very cheap for a complete hide and can be stained to what ever colour you want, you just don’t get the smooth polished finish on it. I also bought some pre coloured/finished leather which was a mistake. The finish was poor and scratches off very easy.

Cheers mate, aye canny Scots eh ! I am , more or less doing the same as you. Looking out for discarded stuff. Really fancy doing some thicker leather work though, so looks like it will be internet retail !

Cheers for getting back tae me mate.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE