first time out with my daughter

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi been out this morning with my 12 year old daughter for an hour
she goes to a special needs school and things don't grab her attention for long
but i thought i would give it a try,well what a surprise she loved it she had a go with my small forest axe then she used my mora clipper knife to take the bark off sticks with points on the end showing her safe knife handling and she had a go in the hammock after reservations about getting in she loved it and now wants one to come out with me camping :D
then when we picked her mam up she told her about the foods we can cook in the woods on a fire when we go camping she could n't stop smiling and had to bring back the sticks to show everyone

2011-07-28111025-1.jpg

2011-07-28110854-1.jpg

2011-07-28111227-1.jpg

2011-07-28110712-1.jpg

well theres only a few pics but i'm really glowing with pride and now she wants to go out again tomorrow to learn how to light a small cooking fire
and looks like i will have to buy her a hammock

cheers for looking andrew

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great stuff mate. Well done. My stepdaughter is autistic spectrum, aspergers, and it is always great to get a positive reaction.

To be honest, that's true of any child actually.

Great bit of family time. goodjob

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm happy for you, my friends daughter has learning difficulties and it seem she has taken a shine to me. she is very artistic and loves to hear about my camping exploits. Its nice to get some feedback about what you do and being able to learn someone something is a great feeling keep up the good work.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
cheers lads it was great i got on making a cuppa and she sat on the hammock and i watched as she wittled the stick really concentrating like it was a work of art she was creating the only problem we had was packing up she did n't want to leave but then she she came up with an idea to bring more sticks home with us so she could work on them in the garden with her knife (looks like i've lost my mora !!!)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
My daughter is 10 months old. I can't wait. :)

haha yep i think 10 months is a bit young but still camp with a tent and used to being outdoors won't hurt :)

ohhh shiny new things great excuse to buy a new knife and yeah there is something satisfying about teaching a youngen something new can understand why adults volunteer for scouts/cadets

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My daughter is 2 next month - hoping she'll want to come camping with me as the wife certainly doesn't... Glad you had fun, must have been terrific getting her so engaged like that :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
We took her out to Comrie croft last weekend for her first camping experience. next week she's off to Glenisla for a week with SWMBO and my mother in law. :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Andy if it put a smile on her face and yours then loosing a Mora was well worth it. I hope you both enjoy your time in the woods and if it helps your daughter to move forward all the better. Good luck to you both and enjoy her happiness.

nice one mate
she clearly loved it
we take shan (my stepdaughter) whenever we can and will be taking jake very very soon(two months old is plenty old enough isn't it?)
you now have a built in excuse to buy whatever you fancy as its for father daughter time and also going as much comfort as you want as if one thing spoils it for kids its being uncomfortable

That's great to see. My daughter has ADHD pretty bad so it is hard to keep her ateention on any one thing for long too. I haven't taken her camping yet but on a lot of hikes. She can now identify Coyote scat and tracks and turkey tracks. She pretends to build fires in her play area (she is 6) and does pretty good with her lays for her age. This autumn I am taking her camping and teaching her fire craft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE