First time hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Me and Mick are out this weekend... and it looks like its going to snow where we're going :D Should be a laugh.

Is it weird I'm already half packed? Haha. Apart from the meat, that wouldn't last well unrefrigerated

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Is it weird I'm already half packed? Haha. Apart from the meat, that wouldn't last well unrefrigerated

Nope, not weird... I'm half packed as well :D Got a few more bits to put together, but pretty much ready for the weekend :D

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Watched your link and He's enthusiastic about hammocks

Shug is always entertaining :), I even quite like his music - I've found he's got a soundcloud account with it on as well:)

I've played with various setups but at the moment I'm going with webbing [tree straps] marlin spiked to dyneema cord then marlin spiked again to a continuous loop through the end channels in my TW ultralight hammock.

I read on here a while ago some chap was using thin cord fed through hose pipe to protect the tree rather than webbing. I think I may give that a go so I'll just have a long bit of dyneema round a tree [through hose pipe] marlin spiked to the continuous loop.

For carabiners I've got some DMM wire gate phantoms as they are pretty light and about full size - don't use them much currently though.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've used a double fishermans knot, I'm not sure about the strength reducing qualities of this knot but it has held well for me so far.

http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/

/////EDIT////

Copy and pasted from a pdf after a little googling.

Strong Knots

Blood Knot 85–90% (Barnes); 80% (Day)
Flemish Bend 81% (Frank and Smith)
Figure Eight Loop 80% (Frank and Smith)
Double Fisherman’s 79% (Frank and Smith)

Moderately Strong Knots

Butterfly 75% (Frank and Smith)
Bowline 60% (Day)
Overhand Knot 60-65% (Luebben )

A Weak Knot

Overhand Bend (My guess is less than 50%)

I may go and learn the blood knot.... :)

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For crabs i always mention DD superlight made by DMM full size climbing crabs just look stupidly big in comparison

Stickchopper

Nov 3, 2015
Durham
So hammock end sorted now tree end I will need some sort of strapping what's the your thoughts on recycled van seat belts with Marlin spike to karabiner

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I saw the meet thread for stead hall is it still going on there ?

No. Unfortunately for us the farmer wanted the woods for pheasant shooting, so no more camping in there.

Plenty more meets about though, especially if you don't mind travelling a bit.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A seatbelt will easily be strong enough. This is all I worry about when trying hanging methods, is that bit of string/ metal/ stick strong enough???

It took me awhile to trust a bit of 2mm dyneema as it just looks too thin, I'm away to get a bit more, but I only use it when there's just me - I still don't trust it when I've got my kids in there with me or them playing silly buggers jumping around and swinging in the hammock.

Never hang higher than your willing to fall :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not sure what you mean by 'continuous loop'.

A seatbelt is so over the top strong that you can just use any knot and not (sic) worry about loss of strength. The main problem will be tying it so it doesn't slip.

there are knots for joining webbing; I used to use them for making up slings for rock climbing. Here is a very good diagram of one:
images

IMO the 'tails' on that picture aren't long enough. You also have to carefully snuggle the knot tight, so that the webbing remains 'flat'.

Stickchopper

Nov 3, 2015
Durham
Mrcharly seat belts are free if you know the right people I've acquired 2 today they have loops already stitched in one end so they would go around the tree then Marlin spike to attach the ring or karabiners so should be good to swing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE