First time hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stickchopper

Nov 3, 2015
Durham
Hi I've just bought a tenth wonder hammock ,been looking and reading about everyone's set ups I think I want to go with the carabiner road any suggestions before I alter the ropes that came with it.

Jan 2, 2014
Cornwall
What are you planning to do with the carabiners?
I use them. With my tw. I tied the supplied webbing in to daisy chains and use the crabs to attach them to tree straps.
it works just fine but the webbing is very bulky so will be replaced at some point.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I put a pair of solid rings onto the rope then krab onto that. Works as a rain break with drip lines. What I will say is but good quality climbing carabiners not just crapola off Amazon, I've made that (fairly hilarious) mistake before!

Stickchopper

Nov 3, 2015
Durham
Yeah that's how I would like to set up quick and simple.Could cut back and knot webbing so just has a loop ready for carabiner to save weight ,so what's best way to fix to tree would a daisy chain rope style just looped round and through support me

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yeah that's how I would like to set up quick and simple.Could cut back and knot webbing so just has a loop ready for carabiner to save weight ,so what's best way to fix to tree would a daisy chain rope style just looped round and through support me

You have just opened a bit of a can of worms there stickchopper :lmao: personally I use rope to wrap around the tree then 2 simple locking knots. Saying that I can feel someone behind me about to garotte me with amsteel blue and someone choking him with webbing. Its an area of disagreement how to hang a hammock. Honestly I think the weight webbing or a few yards of rope gives you is negligible but amsteel is a good idea for the ultralight crew.
Daisy chaining will support you if it's decent rope, I don't use the method personally, but not for any real reason. With a long enough rope lashing also works

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Hi I've just bought a tenth wonder hammock ,been looking and reading about everyone's set ups I think I want to go with the carabiner road any suggestions before I alter the ropes that came with it.

Would whoopie slings be an option in the future? Have you already got the carabiners? Either way I'd go with Amsteel continuous loops threaded through the end channels of the hammock.
What size hammock and what tarp you plan on using.. define the size of the loops. You need the the drip thing under the tarp. Be it carabiners, rings or Whoopie hooks.

:)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ah I've got a 2.8 hammock and a 3x3 dd tarp so guess a triangle config for the tarp ,no I haven't got carabiners yet .

Should be absolutely fine in that setup. Personally I go simpler and smaller still on the tarp, but 3x3 is pretty much a standard. You don't NEED krabs, but I do use them because they're a bit easier

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I just use the webbing straps that came with my hammock, drop a couple of bits of paracord as a drip line. I know there are other methods, but the way I do is quick enough... the one addition that does save time and effort though is the hammock sleeve. Saves lots of hassle if you're packing up in the rain.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Was going to give just the webbing a go but this time of year I don't want to wake up with a wet head or feet

Nah... you won't. I've been out in all sorts of weather with mine... been pouring with rain and I've been fine. The webbing will stretch, but I've never ended up on the ground... just a bit lower than when I got in the night before.

Its worth trying out your kit as is... see what you make of it before you go altering stuff. I've made a few minor mods, like a line inside the net to hang stuff off... added the hammock sleeve and I use carabiners with a fixed line for my tarp now... but other than that, its all just basic kit.

Main thing to me is a good sleeping mat, the underblanket is brilliant as well and a comfortable sleeping bag. Oh and a mini tarp to act as a groundsheet for when you're getting changed or taking your boots off and all that.

Might try some other hanging methods next year, but this winter I'm sticking to what I know.

Stickchopper

Nov 3, 2015
Durham
Dewi I've got my thermarest mat and army artic bag may give it a go as is this weekend see how I get on but still got the Krabs in mind just for ease

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Me and Mick are out this weekend... and it looks like its going to snow where we're going :D Should be a laugh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE