first straight razor shave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one, I've been using them since I was 19 and won't bother with anything else. I don't get ingrown hairs when I use a cut throat unlike disposable razors. I can have a shave in 5 minutes from start to finish with no cuts. That includes running hot water, lathering up and splashing witch hazel on after shaving. It's a nice ritual in the morning. All the bad publicity was started to sell safety razors and disposables...straight razors have been used for far too long to be a bad thing! I've seen those 'Kedake' razors on tinternet, how do you find it so far? Was it shaving sharp out of the box? Have you tried the hone stone yet? Even after 15 years of using cut throats I don't bother honing my own, I send them off when need be and strop in between uses. Welcome to the club!!!

Good show, chaps! There's nothing quite like shaving with a straight razor :) You get a real feeling of having achieved something when you end up with a smooth chin and no cuts... +1 on not getting ingrowing hairs with a single blade - whoever thought the multi-blade face-Surforms were a good idea, apart from the manufacturers?

I use a Stacy Newgate straight that belonged to my great-grandfather - a policeman all his life, who apparently maintained a magnificently waxed moustache :D I also use a Rolls occasionally for variety, and keep a pack of cheapo disposables at work for when I don't have time in the mornings before going to work :rolleyes:

Keep it sharp, take your time, plenty of heat on the face first, shaving oil is good. Strop before and after use - before to make sure the blade is as sharp as possible, and after you have washed and dried the blade to make sure the edge is as dry as possible, as the fine edge will rust fastest if left even slightly damp. Don't keep the razor in the bathroom!

Last edited:

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
thanks for the tips guys (moves razor from bathroom);) i did use it straight out of the box but think it could have done with a hone . will give it a go and report back after a few shaves let you know how im getting on.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Well this thread prompted me to try one of the cut throats that I bought over a year ago!
I am still here and only two small nicks( so small that they stopped bleeding when rinsed).
I used a 'disposable' one I have (came free with the 'real ones').
It was a bit nerve wrecking but ok. I must admit to finishing off with a new razor as I ran out of time this morning to go over a third time to finish off.
In time I will get better, but its fear thats the biggest problem. In days gone by I am sure that it was just one of those things that you did every day.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE