Straight razor first shave: OWW!

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
They were common around the middle of the 20th century, from what I understand. Merkur makes a modern version, and I've seen "DRGM" stated as maker in several auctions of vintage ones.
A picture google on "vintage travel razor" gives a lot of results.
Gilette made a version with a tiny one piece handle, while most other handles separate into two threaded parts, that slide into eachother after dismantling.
I got most of mine fairly cheap on ebay som years back.
 
Used a Merkur for a year or so until i switched to a straight blade. very nice, but had to use the proper Merkur blades as i found the boots ones didn't last as long. these days i have a lovely Dovo razor and a really nice soap from the lakes, and i love it. would never go back to modern plastic affairs and squirty can foam.
 
Pysen, I am sure you have a dedicated shop for gentlemen in Stockholm. NK used to have a departement before they changed some decades ago. If no gentlemans shop around, ask in a mens hairdresser.

Those two sided "Gilette" blades can be sharpened on a leather belt, the rough side.
 
Oh, I think you got me wrong, Janne. I do have a couple of safetyrazors. More than I need, according to my gf. :)
Not sure if NK have blades anymore, but if you're ever in Stockholm, I think you should be able to ask around the hairdressers as you say. I usually buy mine online or at a store called Sivletto on Södermalm.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE