Straight razor first shave: OWW!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
They were common around the middle of the 20th century, from what I understand. Merkur makes a modern version, and I've seen "DRGM" stated as maker in several auctions of vintage ones.
A picture google on "vintage travel razor" gives a lot of results.
Gilette made a version with a tiny one piece handle, while most other handles separate into two threaded parts, that slide into eachother after dismantling.
I got most of mine fairly cheap on ebay som years back.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Used a Merkur for a year or so until i switched to a straight blade. very nice, but had to use the proper Merkur blades as i found the boots ones didn't last as long. these days i have a lovely Dovo razor and a really nice soap from the lakes, and i love it. would never go back to modern plastic affairs and squirty can foam.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Pysen, I am sure you have a dedicated shop for gentlemen in Stockholm. NK used to have a departement before they changed some decades ago. If no gentlemans shop around, ask in a mens hairdresser.

Those two sided "Gilette" blades can be sharpened on a leather belt, the rough side.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Oh, I think you got me wrong, Janne. I do have a couple of safetyrazors. More than I need, according to my gf. :)
Not sure if NK have blades anymore, but if you're ever in Stockholm, I think you should be able to ask around the hairdressers as you say. I usually buy mine online or at a store called Sivletto on Södermalm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE